šŸ•¹ šŸŽ® Xbox or PlayStation?

Iā€™ve already got the camera. Many PS4 owners will do.

Compared to the Ā£700 odd Vive, itā€™s still not a bad proposition, especially since a PS4 costs a third of the price of a PC doing VR.

True, but itā€™s still not an insignificant amount of money.

Especially when this seems to be about there is to offer in terms of VR gaming. Itā€™s simply not worth the return.

Yeah, I think youā€™re underselling VR there. Iā€™ve got a DK2 and have already done far more with prototype hardware than some random Ubisoft game. VR is about immersion. Thereā€™s not much that blows me away these days, but VR is definitely one of the techs that does.

Not at all.

I think VR has huge potential.

I just donā€™t think we are there yet. Everyone is getting hyped, and excited but the quality of what is actually available isnā€™t great.

That may well change, I certainly think it can.

The problem, as I see it, is the cycle that can easily be created.

Currently, I donā€™t think VR offers any value on what has to be seen as a considerable investment. I have no doubt I am not alone in thinking that. Customers have justification to want something good for the money that VR will set them back.

Until there are enough good games (if we are just looking at gaming VR - I donā€™t deny there are other uses for it too, but they are still currently thin on the ground) people are going to be reluctant to take a jump on expensive kit.

Until there is a large user base, not many companies are going to really get behnd making things for it.

And so on and so forth.

I think VR has great potential, and I honestly do hope it can get there, but I donā€™t think we are there yet.

1 Like

Shā€™up Bear. Has it never occurred to you that with all the time we spend on forum posting, social media and suchlike, that we are already in a crap version of virtual reality?

Having learnt the hard way when new tech / formats get launched, I will be sitting tight until some decent content arrives.

1 Like

Originally posted by @CB-Saint

Having learnt the hard way when new tech / formats get launched, I will be sitting tight until some decent content arrives.

Thatā€™s definitely a sensible approach on PS4, but on PC, most of your stuff can just run through those glasses anyway.

Worst case scenario is that you end up playing games on something that looks like a cinema screen. When stuff properly supports things like headtracking, itā€™s something else.

As always, software drives hardware though, so you are correct. This canā€™t be a half-arsed job.

Already have the camera and two Move controllers, but I still wouldnā€™t touch it at Ā£349.

Far, far too big a punt.

Think itā€™s pretty reasonable considering the price of other offerings. Both the Oculus and the Vive are north of 650UKP.

True. Though for me, in this case at least, the relative cost to similar devices doesnā€™t change the relative cost to all other things in existence!

Genuinely hope VR succeeds this time, but I have no dependents and a fairly healthy wage yet still baulk at paying more than the cost of a games console for this tech. What chance does it have beyond the hardcore?

Some interesting rumblings and/or happenings. First, I played Killer Instinct on PC. I may be wrong, but this was supposed to be an XBox One exclusive. Thereā€™s a free taster of Forza coming out for PC soon too. Iā€™d expect all future Forza games to hit both platforms.

In other news, there are rumours online about iterations of both consoles, with PS4K being the buzz word for the new PS4, apparently capable of reliably bunging out a 4K image, but with full compatibility. Both firms played it smart by sticking closely to PC hardware, so I would not be surprised if we did see some compatible upgrades soon.

^^Above has now been confirmed, from Sony at least

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-10-sony-confirms-playstation-4k

Will be in the queue to play this at Celebration

May start queueing now to be honest

Welcome to the new age. Your console is basically a branded PC, with loads less flexibility. Itā€™s a good move though, and will align itself nicely with expectations on tablets and suchlike.

Iā€™ve already seen people losing their shit over it. ā€œIā€™ve been ripped off!ā€, etc.

I donā€™t really think so, and neither will they when they eventually upgrade, play a load of their old games in 4K, and experience what PC gamers have been getting for years, upgrades without buying a shitload of games for your new machine.

Apple and Android stuff has worked this way forever. Consoles are finally catching up.

XBox One effectively dead, 2 and a half years after launch? Cheers to our own korruptor for linkage.

Can someone get a ā€œconsolation hamā€ over to Nolan or something? :lou_lol:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-16-microsofts-mixed-messages-at-e3-arent-pretty-for-xbox-one-owners

I am presently downloading Titanfall 2 Mulitplayer Tech Test on my PS4. I can remember the days when that was an XBox exclusive, or at least if you didnā€™t have a PC available.

Thereā€™s that new XBox One S coming out (or out, I donā€™t know). Apparently it does 4K visuals for stuff like Netflix, but it doesnā€™t do 4K games or offer a boost to existing ones.

The 4K Playstation is coming out this autumn and will do all that.

Meanwhile, the best place to play any XBox One games for the next two years is going to be a PC.

I hereby claim total and complete victory in this easy to predict contest. Tell your Nolan heā€™s had a hell of a beating.

I wouldnā€™t get too far ahead of yourself Pap, thatā€™s just the XBox One Slim I believe. They also have a boosted version coming out next year and its spec is much more powerful than the 4K PS Neo. Currently Sony are streets ahead in terms of units sold worldwide, but in the UK I believe figures are much closer. Itā€™s interesting to consider what might change with the release of the boosted models, but itā€™s unlikely the XBone will ever close the gap significantly worldwide.

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™ve always been a Playstation man. Owned every version since the original and already have the Titanfall 2 pre-alpha downloaded after opening weekend last week. Iā€™ll PM my PSN so feel free to give me a shout if you see me online.

PS4 Pro nee Neo and Slim details released

For months, Sony has been coy about its updated PlayStation 4, acknowledging its existence but refusing to give any solid details. Today, the wraps finally came off, and the console-formerly-known-as-Neo is officially the PS4 Pro. Along with a slimmed-down version of the basic console, Sony confirmed the rampant rumors by announcing the Pro is powered by an improved CPU and GPU, features support for 4K, HDR and higher frame rates, and will be out sooner than expected.

Releasing slimmer, less expensive versions of a console is standard practice at around this point in their life cycle, so it comes as no surprise that the PS4 Slim will soon be joining Microsoftā€™s recently-released Xbox One S. According to Sony, this model is 30 percent quieter, 16 percent lighter and 28 percent more energy efficient than the current one, and is cheaper at US$299. A couple of small ergonomic tweaks have been made to the controller as well, and thereā€™s now a small light bar in the central trackpad.

10th November Ā£350 for the PS4 Pro