šŸ—¼ What have we got to rival the Spinnaker Tower?

No, read the post, High Tide Boat Parties have had these over the past 5 years.

Eats Everything, Sonny Fodera have played regularly at Switch, but itā€™s less than 2 years old so hasnā€™t had that many people there.

Yep, and if it doesnā€™t have Carl Cox as a resident.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Originally posted by @BTripz

Feck me, I went in to club in the Triangle in Bournemouth the other night, they charged us to get in and the DJ was average but we had a cracking time, no dress code either!

There was a pole in the middle of the dance floor, you see, and we managed to get some very amusing video of my work underling doing his best pole-dancing impressions.

So if a club charges itā€™s shite is that right?

What are they charging for?

To keep people like you out I guess.

3 Likes

Pete Tong described it as the ā€˜Southampton House Mafiaā€™

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Originally posted by @BTripz

Feck me, I went in to club in the Triangle in Bournemouth the other night, they charged us to get in and the DJ was average but we had a cracking time, no dress code either!

There was a pole in the middle of the dance floor, you see, and we managed to get some very amusing video of my work underling doing his best pole-dancing impressions.

So if a club charges itā€™s shite is that right?

What are they charging for?

To keep people like you out I guess.

Well thatā€™s good business sense, the reason they charge is a lack of competition.

So?

But we have well digressed, lets get away from Hawaiian theme nights and mediocre offices turned into a club, this concerns all of Southampton.

I canā€™t talk for Southampton but in Bournemouth I would say that 50% of dance/music venues charge on the door for entry.

I guess half of it is to get some money off of the pissed/drugged up yoof who only drink tap water!

Let me go back slightly further (though not as far as Barbarellas) - The Academy behind London Road, close to the Rhino was brilliant for the couple of years I went in there before moving away. Mainly because the music was so good. Saw a few SFC first team players in there, who obviously could easily get in anywhere in the surrounding area but came back a few times.

Never been good for clubbing? Bollocks

When I was promoting, albeit twenty odd years ago, standard practice would be the venue owner gets the bar take (the biggest income by far) and pays security, staff etc. and the promoter takes the door money and pays the DJā€™s and any technical costs ie. special lighting. I donā€™t expect itā€™s any different now.

Putting on an event with 2 or 3 DJā€™s is costly. You have to charge at the door. Thereā€™s also an element of crowd control but I really canā€™t be bothered to go into that.

My cousinā€™s husband runs club nights in Manchester and in Ibizia (not Liverpool, strangely) under the brand Funkademia. As far as I can remember when last talking to him, thats exactly how the funds are split. It certainly is not cheap, especially with rising insurance costs, and he is a long way from minted but does it because he loves doing it and loves music.

Whoā€™d want to play in Liverpool, itā€™s had a bollocks music scene since the early 70ā€™s.

Canā€™t believe Iā€™ve wasted a whole afternoon on this thread ā€¦ great use of a day off !!

Iā€™m off to the pub for a couple of swifties

3 Likes

But we have well digressed, lets get away from Hawaiian theme nights and mediocre offices turned into a club, this concerns all of Southampton.

Blimey, I strangely find myself agreeing with you Baz. Weā€™ve done disco to death.

If you like your history then Southampton does have a lot going for it - nobody has mentioned Tudor House and the Vaults for example.

I had a temp job with the council after A levels in their museums dept. Thereā€™s loads of stuff but 1) the council have no idea how to promote it (&didnā€™t back then) 2) The council are just shit I.e. Selling off the maritime museum to make a pub (Iā€™m not dreaming that am I? - crisis of confidence now Iā€™ve typed itā€¦ )

Originally posted by @cobham-saint

Blimey, I strangely find myself agreeing with you Baz. Weā€™ve done disco to death.

Hehe ā€¦ disco ā€¦ is that you being provocative again Cob :lou_lol:

1 Like

Dancing Man brewery. At least itā€™s actually pretty good.

Museum relocated to Guildhall didnā€™t it?

Iā€™ve linked this nonsense from the Sotonians Twitter account. One must wonder what it would look like to someone arriving from that link, having never seen Sotonians before.

Weā€™ve moved from Barry moaning that we donā€™t have a tower like that Spinnaker one theyā€™ve got in Pompey, to an audacious (or not ambitious enough, according to LITSL) land grab, walling and fortification operation. Barry is now characteristically arguing the club life scene with knowledge limited to 20 years ago, even though heā€™s going to move to Halton and raise his child as a wool.

Only on Sotonians :lou_is_a_flirt:

I wonder if weā€™ll get return visits.

1 Like

Well, I 4-1, am never coming back againā€¦there again maybe I willā€¦

1 Like

Pap I have broadly said Southampton is shite for culture ie restaurants, hotels, musuems, clubs etc, we can go into specifics of grime and urban up London Road (shite but subjective) and a door charge (cover charges are archaic), clubs are closing at a huge rate and people now want more choice, bars offer it and most places with lots of good ones donā€™t charge as it put people off.

What blatherings are you on about a wool ha ha, youā€™re not scouse so what does it matter to you or to a scouser anyway?