šŸ—¼ What have we got to rival the Spinnaker Tower?

What was the club opposite the dog and duck over the road?

London Road doesnā€™t play Grime and Urban, it plays House and Techno!

Cherts Jesus wept, ok house (what house?) and Techno (what techno?).
I was simply using a genre, I am phoning Carl Cox now to see if he can see the grime and urban genre area of Soton from his boatā€¦

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Cherts Jesus wept, ok house (what house?) and Techno (what techno?). I was simply using a genre, I am phoning Carl Cox now to see if he can see the grime and urban genre area of Soton from his boatā€¦

Deep, Electro, Progressive, Funky. It depends what night, what bar/club and whoā€™s playing.

Thats lovely but I still canā€™t get hold of Carl who must be out quite far on his boatā€¦

Ah yes, but I believe in the project, Barry, often self-sacrificing to do so.

Juvenile Unit #2 must complete her scouse training.

Well my wife is having a boy and said boy is being born in Whiston so a wool anyway.

Rumbledā€¦

3 Likes

I went twice, it is utterly awful.

I believe the Wool House has been leased out.

And Barry still hasnā€™t said what would make a great city. But so far I think a large tower and a super club with some nice places to eat.

3 Likes

Hehe ā€¦ 10 pages of Barrys vision, summarised in one sentence :lou_lol:

5 Likes

Nah, nowhere decent at all to go out in Southampton. Ignoring the club chat (which seems to have been done to death) it only has arguably the best up-and-coming beer scene south of the capital.

From north to the south end of the city:

Brewhouse & Kitchen - a chain yes, but brews on site and serves a Le Tiss beer. 'Nuff said.

The Butcherā€™s Hook - bloody friendly micropub in the Bitterne triangle. Serves a daft amount of UK & international craft and hosts some cracking brewery tap takeovers.

The South Western Arms - traditional pub with a top garden. Plenty of twiggy, beardy beers but a few modern ones too. Holds the best beer festivals in the city.

The Bookshop Alehouse - laidback micropub cum library. Serves a good mix of trad ales and craft, with a growing bottles/cans list. Landlord is a huge Saints fan and itā€™s spot on for pre-match drinking.

The Hobbit - semi-legendary, dinge-y and alt-centric pub. Bloody massive beer garden, live music and metal club nights. Generally open late enough that Iā€™m not sure how often it actually closes.

The Guide Dog - the old man-iest of old man pubs but it serves the best range of well-kept, traditional ales in whatā€™s essentially a glorified front room. A classic.

The Rockstone - second home, this place. Beer to suit all tastes, hundreds and hundreds of spirits. Knowledgeable and friendly staff. Simply epic food (the burgers are one of a kind).

Sadlers Brewhouse - originally set up by The Rockstoneā€™s owner, the food (for meat eaters at least) is possibly even better than TRā€™s. The barbecue platters they put together for a mateā€™s stag do were mind-boggling.

Brewdog - another chain, and their own beer is arguably becoming a bit safe, but itā€™s the huge range of Euro and US beers they get in that appeals most.

Overdraft - micropub set within an old bank. Big selection of beers and all of the music played is on vinyl, which is nice. Hosts some cracking DJ sessions/street parties.

Olafā€™s Tun - still finding its feet a little, but another decent micropub. Genuinely worth heading over to Woolston for.

Caskaway - finally somewhere worth drinking at by the ports. Solid range of trad ales and craft beers. One for a quiet, slightly more refined evening.

The Dancing Man - absolutely beautiful building (The Wool House), tastefully and respectfully converted into a pub. Home of The Dancing Man brewery and has an unbeatable booze selection for that end of town.

Weā€™re not talking perfunctory boozers here - all of the above are a real a draw and a boon for the city. And the old Goblets site will soon host a new venue ā€˜Belgium & Bluesā€™ which should be spectacular if they deliver on their promises.

AND Iā€™ve not even started on the bloody brilliant music venues (The Joiners, The Talking Heads, The Brook, Engine Rooms, Platform Tavern, The 1865)ā€¦

Perhaps it would be wise to do some research before kicking off, so that when you start talking shite it looks vaguely informed?

10 Likes

Thanks for that ant - think Iā€™ll try a pub crawl next time Iā€™m back in town - though always a bit of a pain for getting home being a Watersiderā€¦guess an early start would work, working north to south to get the last ferry back to Hythe and round off the day by sinking a few in The Nelsonā€¦

:lou_lol:

No problem. :grin:

Thatā€™d definitely work, though a couple of the ones on the city limits might need to be chopped out. Depends whether youā€™d be comfortable with interspersing a crawl with one or two taxis!

1 Like

Taxis are my best friend on these sort of jollies.

:smiley:

Bowing to your knowledge and experience, and me wanting to make the best of a day on the sauce - which ones are ā€œmust go toā€ and are there any which are just ok-ish and could be visited next time round?

South Western, Bookshop Alehouse and The Rockstone can easily be toured with other idiots on a matchday CS :lou_wink_2:

4 Likes

Excellent post, ant. I wish I could upvote it more. Nice to see things take on a constructive slant.

At my age, my pub sessions generally tend to be oriented around the general canā€™t-be-arsed-ness and grumpiness that sets in as one advances in years. Before you laugh, itā€™ll happen to you too. I canā€™t be arsed waiting at bars that are six-deep in my shortarse form, which presents enough obstacle to getting served anyways. Most barkeeps think youā€™re a gnome another customer left there, the fuckers.

Southampton is good for a pub crawl. Barry will moan that itā€™s nowhere like Liverpool, but if Barryā€™s honest, heā€™ll know that like me, heā€™ll have his little route through town, avoiding some of the snarlier places. When it comes down to steps taken for drinks achieved, itā€™s as long as it is broad.

When it comes to clubs, Barryā€™s talking about stuff that was done, dusted and sorted decades ago. Even when I first got here and big parts ot town were total shitholes, the club scene was superb. Even the crappy clubs were better than our crappy clubs. Without wanting to insult our female southern members, Northern girls a shitload friendlier. I honestly wouldnā€™t like to comment on the club scene in Southampton at the moment. I genuinely know nothing about it. Iā€™m quite happy with the pub situation you describe.

The other thing that narks me about Barryā€™s posts, more for his sake than my own, is that I am a genuine believer in being able to have a good time anywhere, and that if the thing you want doesnā€™t exist, itā€™s easy enough to create. A few of us on here know some people from Somerset that didnā€™t have the big clubs of Liverpool. Did they sit around moaning about how shit Somerset was? Nope, they started doing their own parties and got very good at it.

And that, really, is how all this starts. Good time cities come about as a result of the citizens there wanting to have a good time. Iā€™ve met James Barton, founder of Cream. He worked out how to turn a good time into a profitable one.

I dunno, maybe Bazza will create a belting club scene in Runcorn and Widnes simply by bitching it into existence, but my advice to him would be to throw a few parties, refining each time. While dreams of Cream may lie some distance in the future, he might in the short term start having a good time.

Site traffic might be down, but by Gods* Iā€™ll bear it.

* BSG, frackers.

fair point Goat, but that would mean being having to be sociableā€¦

:lou_wink:

See comments in Papā€™s postā€¦lol

Not in the slightest. We all sit there glowering and gurning over our pints (or Babycham in Bletchā€™s case (when heā€™s not be washing his hair (either of them))), avoiding any eye contact or conversation. Itā€™s better that way.

1 Like