šŸ—¼ What have we got to rival the Spinnaker Tower?

Yes, but how would you define it. What traits must it have?

Oh, we know that, itā€™s been massively underfunded and underdeveloped over the years, he just argues things so badly itā€™s only right to have a go until he learns.

Iā€™m with Barry on this one. Oceana might be classed as a superclub, it may even, at one time been the biggest club in the land ā€¦ but the 2 or 3 times Iā€™ve been there itā€™s been fuckinā€™ shit.

Theyā€™re playing the poster, I love Southampton I genuinely do but it is shit, it has fuck all and it always has had fuck all, the cruise money is spunked away and where does it go? The tourist go straight away and Liverpool will get more and more of the trade and do I want that? No not a chance but the cruise industry is growing here and where would the tourist rather be, the birthplace of the Beatles or Chris Packham?

More needs to be dones and questions of where the money has gone needs to be questioned, what about the old terminus station opening? Loads should be questioned.

Iā€™ve actually never been, I would assume itā€™s utterly bollocks. Perhaps instead of using the word Superclub he should use a different wordā€¦

Maybe its them who are hijacking the word? Thought of that?
Cherts wind your neck in and just listen for a second, its not personal its a point of view and my own, its shit and its not underfunded the money has been wasted and spunked away, ask the questions to the council?

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Maybe its them who are hijacking the word? Thought of that? Cherts wind your neck in and just listen for a second, its not personal its a point of view and my own, its shit and its not underfunded the money has been wasted and spunked away, ask the questions to the council?

I wonā€™t deny that, but I also think youā€™re completely wrong and out of touch with the Southampton music scene. Itā€™s excellent, and those people who would like Pacha, Fabric, Space etc are well catered for in the city now.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re just as valid the hundredth time youā€™ve heard them, itā€™s true.

Barryā€™s always going on about this. He canā€™t enjoy his new city without trashing his old one.

Like Adam Lallana :lou_lol:

4 Likes

I am out of touch but not so much to know Southampton has never been good for clubbing, it charges on the door (that is out of touch) and does it have a dress code? You are talking of a dj for a start and not a club, clubs are dying or dead.

No Iā€™m not, Iā€™m talking about a club called Switch? Read that article or go here:

Of course it doesnā€™t have a dress code, Southampton hasnā€™t had a dress code for about 10 years.

Over the last 15 years youā€™ve had Orange, Junk, Rhino, Mono which have all been decent, and for the last 7 youā€™ve also had amazing Boat parties and this year festivals. You donā€™t know what youā€™re talking about, the same as I have no idea about the Liverpool music scene, and so wouldnā€™t comment on it.

Southampton has never been good for clubbing

WHAT?!

Barbarellas on Wednesday night. DJ Hammy. This was admittedly 30 years agoā€¦

4 Likes

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

I am out of touch but not so much to know Southampton has never been good for clubbing, it charges on the door (that is out of touch) and does it have a dress code? You are talking of a dj for a start and not a club, clubs are dying or dead.

No Iā€™m not, Iā€™m talking about a club called Switch? Read that article or go here:

http://www.switchsouthampton.com

Of course it doesnā€™t have a dress code, Southampton hasnā€™t had a dress code for about 10 years.

Switch looks shit I bet it plays grime and shit. But anyway that is up to the person my point is its shite culturally, you can argue its good for clubbing but I havenā€™t heard that and my relations never tell me theyā€™ve had a great night out clubbing in town, subjective but it simply never has been good.

I bet it charges to get in? So so behind the times, cover charge, and 10 years since no one went casually to town in slip ons and a pair of dads slacks to get in to a pub or a club.

Switch plays a mix of music (on different nights obviously), but the DJā€™s they get in are decent. The boat parties have been massive, and personally Iā€™ve seen:

Sasha

Carl Cox

Danny Tennaglia

James Zabiela b2b Nick Fanciulli

Jamie Jones

And these are the guys that run the nights, itā€™s all based around a record label (which I think was one of your pre-cursers):

I bet it charges to get in? So so behind the times, cover charge, and 10 years since no one went casually to town in slip ons and a pair of dads slacks to get in to a pub or a club.

So what if it charges to get in, so does pretty much every club in the country, irrelevant to if the city has a good music scene or not?

So Carl Cox plays Switch frequently?

Feck me, I went in to club in the Triangle in Bournemouth the other night, they charged us to get in and the DJ was average but we had a cracking time, no dress code either!

There was a pole in the middle of the dance floor, you see, and we managed to get some very amusing video of my work underling doing his best pole-dancing impressions.

So if a club charges itā€™s shite is that right?

1 Like

What are they charging for?

Donā€™t all clubs charge at the door Barry ? Itā€™s how the promoters earn their cut or at least how I did when I was doing it.

Also, surely DJā€™s and clubs go hand in hand. When I think club, I donā€™t think live bands ā€¦ that would be a venue.

Iā€™m a little out of touch nowadays but I do know Cherts is quite correct, thereā€™s a lot of club nights to be had at the moment, particularly around London Road / Bedford Place. Itā€™s just a more underground, intimate venue kinda thing rather than the big club with four rooms set up. Nevertheless, Southampton is highly regarded around the country for itā€™s growing dance music scene.

I agree with a lot of your other points thoā€™

3 Likes