📹 VAR - what's going on?

As long as it rules out all Arsenals goals today I will be happy with it.

5 Likes

OK, I can see his point BUT the players must play to the whistle, happened last night too int he Arsenal match, linesman flagged for offside, referee didn’t blow the whistle but they ALL played on.

Maybe the last comment in that article is correct, linesmen shouldn’t flag for offside anymore…how that would work though is another question…

1 Like

Maybe it would be easier if there were no rules at all? Maybe insist on 11 players and only 3 substitutions allowed but after that, no rules. That way there can be no controversy.

1 Like

Players would take to the field in armour on a horse or hold a golf bat. It’d be anarchy. I’d watch it, mind.

3 Likes

In reality, it’d probably just be more like leeds in the 1970s

3 Likes

I was going to suggest Aussie Rules, but I don’t think it could ever get quite that lawless.

1 Like

Having once watched aussie rules, live, in Oz, I pointed out to the mental locals that, tactically, both of the apparently “top” teams would be run ragged by Maidstone Utd. It’s a dogs dinner of a game for sure.

1 Like

Hey, I’ve got a great idea - let’s help those fuckwits who keep getting things wrong by giving them technology!
Better than that, let’s not make each fuckwit actually use it during games - we could have it operated by their mates from the original bunch of fuckwits, from further away…that will definitely work!

1 Like

Seems sensible…I can’t see anything going wrong.
Bring it on.

Another ridiculous decision today but at least it denied villa a goal.

1 Like

VAR fucking rules

2 Likes

So, Declan Rice says no player wants VAR in the :pl:, however what I think he means is that no player wants the handball rules in it’s current incarnation.

Nothing wrong with VAR per se, in this instance it applied the rule as it stands, can’t blame VAR for that, blame the rules.

Fuck sake even Michael Owen agrees with me :lou_facepalm_2:

For me VAR is an issue with the subjective decisions…

No, if you watched him talk about it live it was VAR that he said nobody wants.

He cited the fact that fans were celebrating an overturned VAR decision like it was a goal and he said that that shouldn’t be the case.

Agree with you (and others) that we shouldn’t conflate VAR and the “handball rules out a goal irrelevant of context” law.

Arguably, the only time that VAR actually works without dispute is when it identifies a handball in the build-up to a goal. And that’s because the law is black and white - it doesn’t consider context or intention.

3 Likes

So in what context would a handball or foul that directly led to a goal and wasn’t spotted by the ref be acceptable.

The only reason why they are whinging is that it went against them. Had Declan rice been a beneficiary of it, we wouldn’t have heard a peep

1 Like

Ok, say the attacking side’s player was running with both hands behind his back and the ball was kicked on to his hand by the opposition without his knowledge.

Under the current hand ball in the build up to a goal law, none of that context matters which means VAR can adjudicate perfectly.

I really don’t have an issue with VAR on these new hand ball law decisions.

I do however feel that ignoring context rules out goals that in the spirit of the game should be allowed.

So in the context of Declan Rice where the ball squirted up hit his hand and deflected into a position that clearly benefitted him?

Debatable.

But that’s not what you asked.

Presumably that includes Brighton’s “goal” which was so far offside , it was a fucking embarrasment that the lino didn’t flag

All this really demonstrates is how many wrong decisions impact on the results… of course there remain issues over the correct use of video assistance, but my view is simple. We should want to get the decisions right. We should therefore use technology to help in doing so. The fact we have not yet worked out how to get the best out of VAR or the tech to ensure the spirit of the game is maintained is NOT a reason to ditch the idea or the technology…

5 Likes