šŸ“¹ VAR - what's going on?

Offer the opportunity to one of those ex pros and they would run a mile. Cowardly shits.

1 Like

Interesting and may cause conflict with UEFA.

Overall I think it worked weel, despite some managers complaining it ruined the ā€œspirit of the gameā€.

Only the managers that it negatively affected seemed to be berating it, Iā€™m sure when a VAR decision goes their way and saves them a point or 2 theyā€™ll soon wind their necks in. From what I saw every VAR decision was correct wasnā€™t it?

Also was listening to Darren Gough on talksport yesterday and agree with him that there is no ā€˜spirit of the gameā€™ in the Prem as too much money involved.

1 Like

Unless the ā€˜spirit of the gameā€™ is where the top 6 clubs get the majority of the important calls go their way?

2 Likes

I still find it difficult getting my head around offside decisions being made that would be impossible to call in real life. We are talking about off/onside by centimeters, decisions previously judged ā€œlevelā€. Offside was about players gaining an unfair advantageā€¦you canā€™t say a few centimeters will give anyone a distinct advantage.

I am now deeply concerned t hat they are thinking of going back to ā€œclear and obviousā€ for offside.

14 sets of fand are convonced there is bias towards 6 clubs from officials. So a Lino is slightly biased to a Top 6 and doesnā€™t give a 1 foot offside, against say Utd, YET in the same game gives a 1 cm onside decision as being offside against us?

No. Then we are right back where we started.

It MUST be precise or it is open to the same bullshit

Darren Gough was right on the money. This just sums the whole thing up. Fined just 315K, what a joke. And of course this paves the way for Chelsea to win their appeal and have the transfer embargo overturned.

1 Like

Watched the Arsenal Burnley game and MOTD later on last night & I donā€™t know what you think but VAR & these new rules about handball seem to be taking the refs job away from them. A couple of really strange handball decisions (when the arm was down by their side) & whilst we all hoped VAR would stop the refs missing blatant fouls or shenanigans it seems like itā€™s going to take the heart out of the game. How can VAR miss a player being dragged to the floor in penalty area in the City Spurs game yet the new handball rule means that if your arm is by your side in the pen area and the ball hits it then itā€™s a foul. I watched 30 minutes of Barrow vs Yeovil while waiting for the other half to get ready and the game seemed eminently better without VAR. Opinions?

Think it is a work in progress.
Appeared to be a blatant penalty vs facts ball hit arm, nose was offside.
They set rules, the key now is to review the realities THEN come up with recommendations.
Should they go back to handball being an assumption decision?
Personally think it is very difficult. Clear and obvious offside would be how many cmā€™s?
Moving hand is 1mm or 1 foot?
How many referees would have given that penalty to Saints vs Liverpool?
I bet more would give it IF it was Liverpool vs Saints.
See the problem?
We need to get used to it and it needs to evolve over the course of time imho.

7 out of 10? As Chris Sutton says ā€œdid he say that with a straight faceā€ā€¦

I think the offside decisions have worked ok. Youā€™re either off or not. Yes, it could be a matter of millimetres but at least itā€™s consistent. This has worked because the human element has been removed.
As far as contentious decisions/overturning the ref goes, I think VAR has been shite. You basically have shit decisions by incompetent refs being compounded by another cunt in a studio somewhere who believes solidarity with his fellow previously bullied colleague is more important than actually getting a decision correct.

6 Likes

So, Saturday, there was the situation where the Everton player (who had just been booked) basically pushed Djenepo off of the ball to shield it out for a goal kick, this took place in the penalty box.

The commentator said, anywhere else on the field that would have been a foul but the referee didnā€™t blow for one. Should VAR have looked at it, did VAR look at it?

It may have done. But how many pen decisions have been overturned? The clear and obvious thing has just been used to back up poor decisions. If there is 1% of possibility that the on field ref made the right call the VAR wonā€™t contradict him.

1 Like

Like a lone Swedish backpacker pleading for her life in a fridge-riddled woodland adjacent to a layby, Goat has nailed it.
We have replaced shit refs with technology - and given it to shit refs to operate.
A bit like trying to solve a poor darts playerā€™s appalling aim by suggesting they stand further away from the board.
The penalty decisions are just as bad as last season.

2 Likes

would we have 8 points if VAR had not been used?

1 Like

That was played out right in front of us and was a clear and obvious off the ball foul in the penalty area. An incident made for VAR. Total cop-out.

4 Likes

Just spoke to one of the lads who does media for England. Apparently, Gomez had Sterling by the throat, butted him, kicked him in the bollocks and smashed Sterlings head against a wall.

The FA had a look at VAR and banned Sterling for 2 games

9 Likes

Confusing report that doesnā€™t really say anything, Iā€™m still ambivalent on VAR, it should be used for offsides only based on what has happened so far.