🎼 Underrated Bands

I think “underrated” should really refer to bands who struggle to make a living out of music.
Sweet Billy Pilgrim are one such band, a band that had a 5 star review in Mojo, calling their album “Crown & Treaty” an instant classic. Their previous album “Twice Born Men” was nominated for the Mercury Music prize and yet I’ve seen them play in a small church in Guildford to a couple of hundred devoted fans.
TV…featured in an episode of the IT Crowd, live on the late show on BBC2…

Still going and still trying to make a living…
Tim Eisenburg’s voice is superb. This from a recent charity recording…

No, that can’t be the definition. What if a band is really shit and can’t make a living from it… The doesn’t make them underrated. It makes them shit.

Let’s be clear, there cannot be an agreed definition of under or over rated because it’s subjective. I might rate something really highly and someone else rate it lowly. There is no correct answer.

Its crap to me, self indulgent shite, been done before better.

The mighty Quo.

I’m giving you bands and artists that I think are underrated and I post examples that to me illustrate the impression they should have a bigger following…one that will allow them to give full rein to their talents.

So Solid Crew.

Their chart success and tabloid notoriety mean that people dismiss them as gimmicky pop. But they were bang on the intersection between Garage, Dubstep and nascent Grime. Innovative and hugely influential.

1 Like

See this would have been a less upsetting thing for someone to say.

1 Like

Great band and a very sad story behind their split. The guitarist had a stroke in their early 20’s I believe. I got hold of their demo album off a friend, it was very unpolished but fab. Singing about darts and A roads.

1 Like

I believe that’s the case, which is a huge shame. They really could have been the next Pulp, but their Jarvis was taken out of the game.

Both Dorian Cox and Kate Jackson are making music again. It’s not as good as The Long Blondes, and I absolutely realise Dorian is still recovering, so I’m not taking the piss. I hope he goes onto a full recovery and rekindles his earlier promise.

As someone that has suffered a few permanent injuries, I know all too well that ain’t easy. I really like both their albums and I hope they all get to a place when they can make another.

1 Like

Dunno how many people have heard of Shack, but they very much fit @lifeintheslowlane’s definition of not having made enough money out of music.

That’s largely because Shack go on the smack until the royalties run out and they have to make a new album.

3 Likes

Michael Head is one of our great songwriters. Love Shack. And The Pale Fountains.

XTC. Fucking great band. Possibly the best thing to come out of Swindon. Apart from Diana Dors.

2 Likes

Camera Obscura and Teenage Fanclub are two Glaswegian bands that put out consistently good albums over a long period of time without ever making it big.

1 Like

Dinasour Jnr were a cool underground band. Been going for ages but never mainstream
https://youtu.be/aQIPJqvFrIc

I struggle with this thread as I’ve gone to post a couple of times and wasn’t sure of the definition.

For what it’s worth I think @lifeintheslowlane’s definition is the most workable but it misses bands that haven’t made it into the public consciousness at large but have made enough money to survive.

So I think the thread will be a repository for groups that the poster likes and thinks others should too.
I think the definition that most matches my music collection is bands that have produced something different at a time when the rest of the music world was heading in another direction - and stuck by it.

Both good shouts for me especially Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque and Songs From Northern Britain are great albums for me.

Whilst quite widely known, Belle and Sebastian would be another Glasgow band that haven’t made it as big as they should. Again, they went their own way.

Staying in Scotland The Delgados were a band I thought had more talent than success. I really thought they would have made it but perhaps a little too alternative.

A little earlier than that were The Wedding Present and McCarthy. Both completely out there but excellent in their own way.

Loads more but got to check what meets my definition.

1 Like

The Dears - a Canadian band that produced two albums in the mid 2000s that I absolutely love - Gang of Losers, and No Cities Left.

Despite me feeling that they’ve gone their own way, on some tracks the lead singer’s vocal reminds me alternatively of Morrissey and Damon Albarn. The albums are full of different styles of music that, to my ears, don’t follow a formula.

Whatever the Arctic Monkeys say they are, this is what they are not

4 Likes

Kristin Hersh played the Engine Rooms a couple of years ago…pissed I didn’t see it until the date had passed.