šŸŽ¼ Underrated Bands

Saw her do a solo show years ago. She was excellent. Havenā€™t noticed her touring in recent years but I probably havenā€™t been paying attention.

Also saw Belly (Tanya Donnellyā€™s band) supporting the Lemonheads. They were OK but suffered from defect of good songs at the stage. Lemonheads were good though.

2 Likes

This was the one I missed: http://engineroomssouthampton.com/event/kristin-hersh-at-engine-rooms-southampton/

Going by the @saintbletch standard, here a few acts that I think more people in the UK should be into.

These ladies are bigger on the other side of the pond than here. I love a three piece and I love this three piece in particular.

I know Iā€™ll get love for this, as Iā€™ve seen people mention them before. Tones of Town album from Field Music is ace.

And finally for now, Engineers. Not sure Iā€™ve heard a song with a better climax.

2 Likes

Field Music are prolific and have a great back catalogueā€¦they make a reasonable living from it and always draw a good crowd when they play Southampton. A lot of the lads who sit around us at St Marys are big fans too.

1 Like

Death Cab For Cutie have found a sort of underground, aficionado fame but I wonder why theyā€™re not more widely known. Definitely an album band rather than a single band.

4 Likes

I enjoyed those. I also like the fact the they took their name from a very fine song by the Bonzo Dog Band.

1 Like

Yep, thatā€™s where the name comes from alright.

I guess it would some wonderful quirk of the universe if theyā€™d come up with it completely independently.

1 Like

Saw the ā€˜muses support REM at Wembley arena back in 1989 on the Green world tourā€¦ cracking gig with both bands at their best IMHO.

1 Like

Are Belle and Sebastian underrated according to the @saintbletch code?

Are they a band ā€œthat I like and think more people should likeā€? i.e. they should be more popular than they are.

Yeah, Iā€™d say so.

Iā€™d say they also fit my own person preference that saw them going in their own direction at a time when the mainstream was going in another.

2 Likes

I really donā€™t know many of their albums. I picked Dear Catastrophe Waitress, which is wonderful, a little bit of a tribute to geek trials and tribulations and generally a happy time.

I know theyā€™ve got a massive back catalogue. Iā€™m fairly sure that when I dip into it, Iā€™ll enjoy it.

Getting rated kinda ruins artists. Thatā€™s why so many of them have that difficult second album. I was telling my daughter that at one time, U2 were the hottest band in the world. Not a joke. When they released the Joshua Tree they were there. They swiftly disappeared up their own arses after Achtung Baby.

Pulp had released loads of albums prior to Different Class breaking them. Both that, and His n Hers, were classics. Once they got the money, Jarvis felt he couldnā€™t write about being poor anymore, so the next album was largely about him wanking off for the past three years.

Itā€™s called This Is Hardcore :smiley:

1 Like

Completely agree about U2. I respect the attempts to re-invent themselves but they left me behind. TJT is a very complete album, mind.

Youā€™ll enjoy going back in time with Belle and Sebastian. Theyā€™re earliest work is better than the later stuff to my ear. Mrs Bletch and I saw them on the Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance tour (2015/16?) and they were just starting to go a bit too ā€˜electronicā€™ for me.

At The Skate Guildhall?

May 5th 2015. 5th time Iā€™ve seen them and probably their best.

1 Like

Yep that was the one.

I think you being there ruined it.

I was the intoxicated bloke wearing a ridiculous shirt somewhere near the front with the embarrassed woman in tow.

At the back of the standing area. Sober having just driven back from Newcastle. having awkward chat with ex-girlfriend and her new bloke.

1 Like

I hope she wasnā€™t there using a ticket you bought her!?!

#awkward

This is a wonderful videoā€¦

Dip into anywhere in their back catalogue you wonā€™t be disappointed.

1 Like

George Lucas effect. I always explained Muse as what filled the void when Radiohead dropped the guitars.

1 Like

Listen to their latest How To Solve Our Human Problems - Pts 1 - 3 It received criticism from some hardcore fans but I canā€™t understand that, for me it lifts the spirits. I heard Stuart Murdoch interviewed on 6 music on itā€™s release and talking about becoming a father for the second time which inspired this song ā€¦I love itā€¦

1 Like

Totally agree that their earliest work is their best. For me, If Youā€™re Feeling Sinister is one of the best albums of all time. Definitely in my top ten. Great songs from start to finish.

Not sure they qualify as underrated, though.

2 Likes