šŸŽ¼ Underrated Bands

So, on the train back from Twickenham after a few socially distanced pints, listening to a few old faves, and was thinking about underrated bands. So, as a new topic, I give you my most underrated band:

INXS

rs-michael-hutchence-9ffd972b-afaa-4017-9150-05ea68e71b75

Good thread idea, but INXS underrated?! Not in my definition

Iā€™ve got to agree with @Bucks
INXS were a global success. In no way underrated.
They were shit as well.
They were overrated.

4 Likes

Highest UK chart position 42

1 Like

Well you two twats are wrong.

2 Likes

Highest UK chart position 30.

2 Likes

These guys were about 10 years too late with that vibe, but liked what they were doingā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s all a matter of personal taste, what pushes your buttons really isnā€™t it? One manā€™s great band leaves another man cold. INXS did nothing for me either, bland and boring to my ears, but i donā€™t think that necessarily makes them shit. Apart from Phil Collins!
I probably love loads of bands who are, or were underrated. Probably my favourite band is Caravan. I think they were, and still are very underrated. Land Of Grey And Pink is a great album, still stands up today, more than a few of my sonā€™s mates in Wales loved the Super Furryā€™s and Gorkyā€™s but had never heard of Caravan, who were doing very similar stuff in the 60s - 70s. I took great pleasure in putting LOGAP on and converting a few of them.

Phil Collins has become a huge hate figure, some of his stuff with Genesis was superb, I think its because heā€™s a tory and a bit of a twat and thought of as excess 80ā€™s culture, some of his stuff is brilliant.
There I said it.
INXSā€™s kick was great but a lot of the other stuff was trying to go one step further from Cold Chisel/Jimmy Barnes which was also utter meaningless rock, soulless red neck faux shite yank stuff.

2 Likes

Oh and a band thats never got the credit they deserve in my opinion is Feeder, whilst the songs arenā€™t Cohen or Garfunkel they fit perfectly within themselves.

2 Likes

With you on that one. Saw Feeder in a 500 person venue in Belfast. Brilliant night.

Yank! Iā€™ll have you know that they are Aussie Rock royalty down here, where they originated! Wank they may be but Yank they are not

Also, graphical location has a big say in things. To us down under, Ride are completely underrated but coming from Pommyland, you guys probably have a different take on that

1 Like

No, because his music was shit

1 Like

Very true. Great band that got ā€˜labelledā€™ as shoe gazers, as an almost derogatory termā€¦ when they should have been much biggerā€¦and of course Andy bell when on to bigger things with Oasis, but later rejoined Ride. Loved their stuff especiallyā€¦

2 Likes

Vapour Trail has one of the best outros Ever imho. That first album is wonderful too

2 Likes

Although well respected in many circles and popular at festivalsā€¦ one band who never IMHO reached the heights their talent deserved is James

This is one of my faves of the more recent yearsā€¦ and simple video that is perfect for the songā€¦ and makes me cry every time I watch itā€¦ Outstanding

3 Likes

I have so many favourite bands in the past that fail to catch on, a bit dispiriting sometimes when you think they have something special.
This one ticks the boxes for me, an angry fuck you lyric and an epic musical production coupled with a great video still annoys me when you looks at how many YouTube plays this hasā€¦half of them must be mineā€¦

For me the moment of genuine hatred came when the cunt released his shit song ā€œAnother day in paradiseā€ about homelessness whilst at the same time saying that if labour won the election he would be emigrating. Wanker. And all his songs are shit.

5 Likes

Donā€™t spend your time talking about what you donā€™t likeā€¦YouTube comments are full of people who seek out stuff they donā€™t like.

2 Likes