:tories: Tories in trouble?

I was never interested in the idea of growth beyond the idea that it isn’t a universally good thing anyway. I have left the discussion deliberately open to cover all the areas in which they’re in trouble.

That image, not mine btw, should be sobering to anyone.

Also, I eat well every day of my life, but it’s expensive, and I doubt I’d be able to eat as well on a normal salary. What can you actually buy, hot, for less than a fiver? Chips, burgers and pies, isn’t it? Low cost food is usually shit food, and many can’t even afford that.

It doesn’t, I just think things like this go in cycles. As the article says other diseases have decreased. I think they call it a ‘Spurious Correlation’.

You have to remember Pap, and I know you hate doing this when talking about the Conservative party, correlation does not imply causation.

Not true…it’s all cos the Tories are mean to people.

Absolute fallacy buddy. Gout is caused by a build-up of uric acid crystals in the affected joint. I know - I’ve had it in the past and I don’t drink red wine / port and rarely eat cheese. It’s bloody painful!

Originally posted by @pap

Nah, he just doesn’t care. For his mind, people that are poor are poor because they deserve it.

He is rich, because he deserves it. Y’know, being born into a multi-millionaire family fortune, he is more deserving than others.

~* End the age of entitlement *~

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

It doesn’t, I just think things like this go in cycles. As the article says other diseases have decreased. I think they call it a ‘Spurious Correlation’.

You have to remember Pap, and I know you hate doing this when talking about the Conservative party, correlation does not imply causation.

I made the point because it’s the second time in two days that you’ve tried to use a perceived exception from your own life to ignore the shit that is going on elsewhere.

That’s fine, but please look up “projection” before trying to tussle with heavyweights like “correlation” and “causation”.

Originally posted by @hoofinruth

Absolute fallacy buddy. Gout is caused by a build-up of uric acid crystals in the affected joint. I know - I’ve had it in the past and I don’t drink red wine / port and rarely eat cheese. It’s bloody painful!

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Gout/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Rubbish. It’s called the King’s disease, which means the poor (or indeed, women) can never get it.

Fk you, your personal experience and your medical evidence :lou_lol:

1 Like

I’m not ignoring, I think it’s a bollocks correlation. Unless we know these diseases are increasing in low income families, rather than just in general, the stats mean nothing.

Lol (me being off mark not your gout)

I agree, it’s not like someone to argue against personal medical experience on this thread is it…OH wait?

You can prep from scratch a spag bol for a fiver and feed a family of four

True story. Same as a Shepherds Pie, a Stew etc. Tinned fruit is still very cheap as well.

Originally posted by @CB-Saint

You can prep from scratch a spag bol for a fiver and feed a family of four

Does that include the overheads such as cooking, power and light?

Is the combination of poor quality red meat and carbohydrates the panacea for healthy living?

I agree, it’s not like someone to argue against personal medical experience on this thread is it…OH wait?

Yeah, but hoofinruth was being genuine, not ramping up a cough into pertussis.

While stuff like carrots is cheap, it looks cheaper to feed your kids a bucket of deep-fried salty shit than to make something nutritious.

Especially if you were brought up in a shithole and no one showed you how to boil an egg.

Some people are caught in a cycle of shit, and they don’t even realise it.

And let’s have less of the ‘evidence’ or facts - like most forum posters I never let my total ignorance of a subject prevent me from having a strong opinion on it.

8 Likes

That’s got to be a record! 6 times our esteemed leader failed to answer a simple question.

And what is George on today, I wonder #notquitewithit

Excellent work, Jeremy. That’ll be on headlines today.

He’s just Paxman’ed Cameron.

For sure eating out is expensive and I’m sure a maccy D and fish and chips every day doesn’t contribute to a healthy diet.

I’m note sure about the article you linked to either, it’s very emotive and it doesn’t actually make the connection between the recent rise in the diseases and poverty today. It just says that they were diseases related to poverty in the Victorian times.

The author even goes on to say :-

The figures do reflect classical diseases associated with mass poverty of Victorian times and so they should be a barometer for us. Gout, malnutrition, scurvy and rickets point us to failures in the nation’s diet. Our complacent notion that we have better diets must be thrown out and there must be a national drive for a healthy, nutritious and balanced diet, casting aside the interests of the food industry. Major vaccine-preventable infectious diseases should be prevented.

We should be concerned about these figures – they tell us of a picture of neglect – by government with its active impoverishment of poorer parts of our society and with its complacent neglect of public health nutrition. And neglect too by the health and care system in respect of malnutrition, dehydration, failure to vaccinate and neglect of nutrition.

We (that is me and mine not the nation) feed our kids crap, I know we do, but neither of us have the spare time to prepare healthier meals at the moment. This is partly due to the girls being full on and needing constant attention and I’m sure as they get older it will get better. I get the feeling that our society is a “want it easy” one and getting fast food and the bad crap from supermarkets is part of it.

I know a family that live on the bread-line, she works hard as a cleaner and doesn’t eartn an awful lot, he voluntarily reduced his hours recently and spends most of his time in front of the PS4 playing games. She is always moaning to my wife about lack of money yet they always have fags and booze in the house…Is this representative of the poorer parts of society (don’t know how to put that any better)? I don’t know but a lot of people I know who don’t earn a lot always seem to have fags and booze when they need it.

Brilliant, you don’t like something so you choose not to believe it. That sounds like the Pap we all know and love.

Just out of interest, was your Whooping Cough down to poverty?

I’m not ignoring, I think it’s a bollocks correlation. Unless we know these diseases are increasing in low income families, rather than just in general, the stats mean nothing.

That is the question I was asking too, I would like to see a graphic with the hotspots of the diseases and what demographic it effects. I will still maintain that the spread of the airbourne diseases will be down to a lack of education in said diseases due to them not being so prevalent these days.