:tories: Tories in trouble?

I did wonder how long you would keep going until you enthusiasm shrank

That said the chancellor is full of shit as he believes we can economically grow out of this whilst slashing and cutting, he also expects businesses to pay for the rises in salary and the economy to pick up the slack in deficits?
He is fucking mad and its a gamble on everything, say the World economy doesn’t pick up (no indication it will do), what happens then? Are we going to service industry ourselves out of it to pay the living (loosely termed) wage by phoning everyone one up disinterested?

Remember that we’ve actually borrowed more under the Conservatives from 2010-15 than we did under Labour, and the number is getting even bigger.

I wouldn’t mind, but you just know they’re going to use that cash to finance more private sector initiatives and sell-offs.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

That said the chancellor is full of shit as he believes we can economically grow out of this whilst slashing and cutting, he also expects businesses to pay for the rises in salary and the economy to pick up the slack in deficits? He is fucking mad and its a gamble on everything, say the World economy doesn’t pick up (no indication it will do), what happens then? Are we going to service industry ourselves out of it to pay the living (loosely termed) wage by phoning everyone one up disinterested?

This economic policy gamble has not quite been the disaster you suggest for the past 5 years though.

Originally posted by @Bucks

That said the chancellor is full of shit as he believes we can economically grow out of this whilst slashing and cutting, he also expects businesses to pay for the rises in salary and the economy to pick up the slack in deficits? He is fucking mad and its a gamble on everything, say the World economy doesn’t pick up (no indication it will do), what happens then? Are we going to service industry ourselves out of it to pay the living (loosely termed) wage by phoning everyone one up disinterested?

This economic policy gamble has not quite been the disaster you suggest for the past 5 years though.

That would depend on your need of what the Govenrment provides, maybe for me and you its all roses but what about everyone else? The economy is only trundling along through deficit cuts not some magical economic reforms and Nation booming, what happens when all the cuts have been done and more money is still needed and the economy is still trundling along?

Originally posted by @Bucks

That would depend on your need of what the Govenrment provides, maybe for me and you its all roses but what about everyone else? The economy is only trundling along through deficit cuts not some magical economic reforms and Nation booming, what happens when all the cuts have been done and more money is still needed and the economy is still trundling along?

I have been unemployed twice this year, so speak for yourself about roses. But we have been through all of the stats about growth, employment and unemployment. The economy is not trundling. Plenty of things still need tackling but some major things are working too.

1 Like

The growth is where exactly?

The Jobs as well, high skilled or non unioned low waged zero hour contracts?

Unemployment or a changing of people from one benefit to another?

I do know money thats saved from one area is used to propigate the myth of a recovery, how much have we borrowed in the last five years? Osbourne is gambling more than Brown did concerning our future and the vulnerable are the chips.

Cases of malnutrition and other “Victorian” diseases are soaring in England, in what campaigners said was a result of cuts to social services and rising food poverty.

NHS statistics show that 7,366 people were admitted to hospital with a primary or secondary diagnosis of malnutrition between August 2014 and July this year, compared with 4,883 cases in the same period from 2010 to 2011 – a rise of more than 50 per cent in just four years.

Cases of other diseases rife in the Victorian era including scurvy, scarlet fever, cholera and whooping cough have also increased since 2010, although cases of TB, measles, typhoid and rickets have fallen.

Originally posted by @pap

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/malnutrition-and-other-victorian-diseases-soaring-in-england-due-to-food-poverty-and-cuts-a6711236.html

Cases of malnutrition and other “Victorian” diseases are soaring in England, in what campaigners said was a result of cuts to social services and rising food poverty.

NHS statistics show that 7,366 people were admitted to hospital with a primary or secondary diagnosis of malnutrition between August 2014 and July this year, compared with 4,883 cases in the same period from 2010 to 2011 – a rise of more than 50 per cent in just four years.

Cases of other diseases rife in the Victorian era including scurvy, scarlet fever, cholera and whooping cough have also increased since 2010, although cases of TB, measles, typhoid and rickets have fallen.

My little girl had Whooping cough last week. Not sure how I’d manage to link that back to the economy…

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

My little girl had Whooping cough last week. Not sure how I’d manage to link that back to the economy…

All of the above conditions are linked to poverty, largely because they’re seen as preventable.

Well done to your daughter for such an amazingly speedy recovery. She’s probs got V2 of the vaccine kicking around in her veins.

As you seem to be on a “the earth is flat” wind up about economic growth and jobs overall, I hesistate to give you more ammo but here goes…the top 10 growth sectors measured by output change from Q1 2014 to Q1 2015:

1 Chemical Manufacturing (31% up)

2 Shipbuilding (16% up)

3 Aerospace (11.5%)

The rest of the top 10:

4th – Furniture Production
5th – Information Services
6th – Nannies, Cleaners etc
7th – Hotels etc
8th – Land Transport
9th – Computer Programming and Consultancy Services
10th – Other Mining and Quarrying

Obviously all 10 are dominated by low paid, unskilled, zero hour contract workers.

You are welcome

She got over it in just over a week after being given antibiotics…I assume this version doesn’t count towards the statistics then?

I must check her for the other diseases listed above as we are obviously poverty stricken…

Remarkable. Most kids have it severely for two weeks, followed by three months of less painful recuperation. I only wish I had her constitution when I contracted the disease in the late 1970s.

Well, I’m sure if you catch it quickly (like most things) it is less serious.

Well, I’m less sure of your certainty. Now that we’ve got to the end of this medical mystery, what was your point, exactly?

Presumably, we’re supposed to think these diseases isn’t related to poverty because one kid that presumably isn’t has contracted it? It’s highly contagious, and as you say, you need to catch it early (most people just immunise, although some mums, myself included, didn’t in the 1970s due to a vaccine scare).

How does the individual experience of one child overturn those findings?

Originally posted by @pap

All of the above conditions are linked to poverty, largely because they’re seen as preventable.

The only one that I can think of that can be linked to Poverty is Cholera, caused by bad sanitation and/or bad drinking water.

Whooping cough is preventable by an injection when pregnant, not sure how that can be linked to poverty unless we’ve suddenly stopped giving it due to financial restraints in the NHS!

Scarlet Fever has no vaccine but can be treated by antibiotics and is spread through the air and is caused by a toxin.

Scurvy is due to lack of Vitamin C in your diet, not sure how that can be tied down to poverty, usually because you’re not eating enough fresh fruit

–

I would suggest that the increase in the number of cases is because of the changing demographic of the UK and the lack of awareness of the diseases. I would like to see something that says where the hotspots for these cases are!!

Welcome to"never events", bTripz.

Explains the rationale behind the disease and poverty links.

How the fuck is gout a poverty related disease - have you seen the price of a decent bottle of claret these days?

1 Like

I see we have moved away from the disastrous shrinking economy. I am not at all dismissing poverty related malnutrition, or the rise in food banks. But there are plenty of articles out there about the rise in malnutrition in people who are not suffering either poverty or lack of food. Diets increasingly high in sugar, fats and processed foods, but lacking in fibre or vitamins cause hospital admissions too.