:tories: Tories in trouble?

They really have to. It would be outrageous if this didn’t happen. We could use some of that £350m we save when we leave the EU.

3 Likes

Good idea, but why not give the whole £350m to them(more if needed). It’s only a weeks worth according to some. Then take them to knighsbridge/Kensington and let them pick any empty house they choose.

2 Likes

I note with interest that the government have tried lying about this, claiming it was an oversight. Amber Rudd treats the behaviour as appalling, much as most of Theresa May’s tenure as Home Secretary and Prime Minister has been, but perhaps wisely, doesn’t mention just how appalling it was.

According to several pieces in The Guardian today, this wasn’t an oversight. It was policy. Home Office staff tried to warn of the dangers of burning all the records. That was done anyway, in 2010. In 2013, a government leaflet for deportees advised the repatriated to speak in a Jamaican accent (or whatever) when they re-entered their countries of origin.

And let’s not forget that this is from the same Home Secretary that signed off on a campaign in which vans, emblazoned with the legend “Go Home”, drove around the country making everyone but the Far Right deeply uncomfortable.

This is not an oversight. This is the Conservative Party made manifest in government, and yet another example of why you should always judge people by their actions before taking the words onboard. The present government doesn’t come out well in my assessment.

6 Likes

Two points. First, a bit of a wanky thing to try to score Remainder points on.

Second, if we’d maintained the strong links with the Commonwealth , these folk would probably still be British citizens, and this crisis probably wouldn’t be happening.

I wasnt trying to score points. I was simply puttng forward a solution to a problem.

It would be a little ironic if we saved £350m by not giving money to foreign white people and ended up giving it to foreign black people.

2 Likes

I’ve just read about them destroying the Windrush landing cards in 2010 under TM’s tenure. I know there are different timescales for retaining files but these appear to have been useful files that staff did look at. I remember when a HR department destroyed mine and my mum’s files. We were still working for the local authority at the time. Oh the HR department had been taken over by a very well known private company with lots of public sector contracts. I had to then prove that I’d worked for them by going though my old payslips and bank account statements copying them all and provding it to them. That could have had an impact on my pension/service etc. Lucky I am a bit of a hoarder. A small annoyance compared to these guys.

When they also ask you to have several items of ID/Letters etc to prove you’ve been here each year. Could you all provide that? I doubt I can. I sometimes struggle to get the bits for a CRB check.

5 Likes

Ah. The same company I was talking about in last post. Although they got the contract to deport people after 2010 so cannot be blamed for the files. But suppose not having those files made it easier to deport people.

“Capita will be paid for the number of people they make contact with, and leave, and that’s purely on a payment by results basis. If nobody leaves because they make contact with them, nobody will get paid.”

So you have to make sure some people leave otherwise that’s really not a profit making company.

1 Like

Some poor chap was on the radio this morning recounting what might be described as fuck ups of Kafkaseque proportions. He got all his paperwork together, sent it to the Home Office, only to be told that the guy he’d sent it to had ‘lost’ it all and, as a result of that cock up, they were going to deport him. WTF?

Also, interesting that Amber Rudd initially blamed the civil servants when, actually, all they were doing was implementing policy. She’d better be careful that some embarrassing revelations don’t get ‘leaked’.

1 Like

Heard a bit of that too, the poor fella. And it’s still not resolved. He’s still not recognised and iirc he said that a young Civil Servant helped him out, at least temporarily.

This Government is a shambles and an embarrassment.

2 Likes

My work has meant meeting people applying for leave to remain. It’s well known that you shouldn’t send original documents but they want them. Catch 22.

2 Likes

JC tried to pin this on TM at PMQs and rather had the wind knocked out of his sails when she pointed out that the decision had been made in 2009 under a Labour Government. Maybe should have checked his facts on that one.

That said what a collossal fuck up this Windrush fiasco is.

Sounds like May / Rudd want to be Doc Daneeka alright!

Some gallows humour

9 Likes

This was exposed as a bare faced lie within minutes of PMQs ending. As was her other lie regarding the old guy and his cancer treatment. This is what we are reduced to, governed by a Prime Minister who is quite prepared to openly lie to Parliament as long as it means she can get away from PMQs unscathed. Lot’s of tyhe headline writers are amending their headlines as we speak, 'Corbyn ambushed by May", “May triumphs over Corbyn”, etc etc, have all been quickly dropped and toned right down. But of course it has had the desired affect. Our media are truly without shame.

Over three hours ago from No 10, “Destruction of landing cards was an “operational decision” by the UK Border Agency in 2009 which Labour Ministers would not have been aware of”. The landing cards were destroyed in 2010 whilst she was Home Secretary when she could have stopped the process. But of course she was extremely busy commisioning a bus with “Go Home” emblazoned on it, and loudly proclaiming that she wanted a "Hostile Environment’ created in her Immigration Dept. These cards were physically destroyed when she was Home Secretary. This was all clarified in a Point Of Order after PMQs, But of course, as i pointed out the damage had been done. Cue banner headlines, "Hapless Corbyn’ ad infinitum. It is her racist “Hostile Environment” policy that has inevitably led to the Windrush scandal, not Corbyn’s. Destruction of thousands of landing cards personally signed off by Theresa May. As Home Secretary she would have signed the authorization forms instructing civil servants to destroy the landing cards. Perhaps they have been quietly got rid of too!

This government now have a ‘lying as policy’ approach in parliament, with the support of their complient media, they are becoming increasingly hysterical at the prospect of a Corbyn led government. Thankfully people are understanding this. Bring it on. Voting Tory is fast becoming the unpatriotic thing to do. Their ever increasing lies will be the undoing of them.

5 Likes

Out of interest if the Labour ministers would have been unaware of the decision to destroy these cards in 2009, why would TM have known to stop their destruction in 2010.

Just for the record:

6 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Bercow seemed to be very determined to make the point that all members are responsible for their own words. So it’s May’s responsibility to correct the record. Surely she has to stand in front of parliament and admit she lied/has never had a clue. That won’t be an almost empty house.

Did i understand that correctly, or is there a way she can weasel out of it?

1 Like