:tories: Tories in trouble?

1 Like

Who will build these houses? There aren’t enough tradesmen to keep up with demand as it is.

Sam will build them @goatboy

Get the Chinese in!

If memory serves me right I stayed at a Cuban friend’s sister’s house which she built with help. It was no shack but properly built. People had been trained and supported to build their own homes in Cuba. I’ve seen something like this on Grand Designs near Brighton (?). Skill up people, build their own houses with support, maybe they stick around longer on their own homes and they’ve put a lot into it too.

May be a bit of a longer process but then we’d also have some skilled tradespeople to go on a build some more for others?

Back in 1992, a friend of my mine from Liverpool (dingle?) was unemployed and signing on. There was some sort of scheme where he and people he knew were paid a small part of their dole for building their own houses. They got an electrician, plumber, brickie etc together and they worked together to build 4/5 houses that once finished, they lived in. At the time it reminded me of the self help schemes they have in Brazil and I still think it was a good scheme.

3 Likes

When will the media be asking for apologies from May on behalf of her MPs and party members?

case-study-racist-signalling-what-havering-leaflet-reveals-about-tories

He’s got quite some form now.

boris-johnson-urged-to-apologise-for-attending-racist-campaign-launch

Then there was this recently.

Tory-mp-bob-blackman-islamophobia-facebook-conservative-harrow-east-racism-muslims-a8276101.html

Shocking - from Jan 2018. Don’t remember this being raised much.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Good point. Also, who will provide the land? Land prices generally make affordable housing unaffordable to build, which is why previous Labour administrations introduced %age rules for mixed private / affordable housing on sites. We have a very active and vociferous land protection lobby consisting of many different agencies who resist building on virgin land. We also have archaic planning laws and rules which bind the whole thing up in red tape.

I remember reading a few years ago that something like 80% of our population live on 6% of the land. It’s in Kevin Cahill’s book, Who Owns Britain?

I have this framed on my toilet wall, it belonged to my father and i nabbed it when he died. As true today as it was then.

“Vice and misery, poverty and pauperism, are not the legitimate results of growing population and industrial development. They follow them only because land is treated as private property. They are the direct and necessary result of violating the supreme law of justice — giving to the exclusive possession of a few, what nature has provided for all.
Since labour cannot produce wealth without using land, denying equal right to use land is, necessarily, denying the right of labour to its own product. If one person controls the land on which others must labour, that person can appropriate the product of their labour as the price of permission to labour. This violates the fundamental law of nature: that a person’s enjoyment of the fruits of nature requires that person’s exertion.
The unjust distribution of wealth stemming from this fundamental wrong is separating modern society into the very rich and the very poor. The continuous increase of rent is the price labour is forced to pay for the use of land. It strips the many of wealth they justly earn, and heaps it in the hands of a few who do nothing to earn it. The few receive without producing, while others produce without receiving. One is unjustly enriched — the others are robbed.”

Henry George, Progress and Poverty 1879

4 Likes

My my. Jeremy Hunt investing in Ocean Village?

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/981545046888599555

Cunt.

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

It’s fucking shameful that this has happened.

Most of these people aren’t even immigrants, they came here legally as citizens.

It is utterly disgusting how far this country has slipped. I thought we were going to forge closer ties with the commonwealth now we are free of the EU? I wonder why that doesn’t apply to these folks?

The demonising of immigrants and blatant xenophobia displayed in public discourse these past 2-3 years has set this country back decades.

9 Likes

I cannot even express my anger at this.

I’ve also dealt with EU migrants who came here as children with their parents. Because of a change in regulation in 2014 are now unable to have the safety net of benefits if they lose their job or stop due to having children and have no partners to help. They then end up destitute. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more of this in the future. Believe there have been deportations of EU homeless citizens too. Which was deemed illegal.

Hostile environment is very very apt.

On the brightside I am aware of a lot of charities who are supporting migrants and getting them legal advice.

9 Likes

Fucking hell. What have we become.

1 Like

I hope that all of those deported or lost their jobs/homes get a shed load of compensation.

1 Like