⚽ The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Wonder or ‘hope’? :lou_wink_2:

6 Likes

http://www.stretch-n-go.com

1 Like

1stt team football Fraser…
Not a hard sell.
Unless his knee injury really has destroyed his own self confidence and he is psychologically scarred and JUST wants to take his money and run down his contract instead of being retired…
Anyway I’m off to the airport to queue up for a flight for 3 days so I can drive him there just to be sure.

2 Likes

Surely we should be taking £12m for him? Given that we still need some attacking flair and or a centre forward, but need to sell to buy… and we can only seemingly get rid of people on loan…

Discuss.

Well, I haven’t seen the best of Bertrand for some time.

I might be inclined to throw MT a shirt and see how his year+ in the Championship gaining promotion have influenced him.

3 Likes

Or Bertrand realises he stuffed up last year and will knuckle down to earn the big move next summer & prove Southgate wrong…
One of them won’t be happy being 2nd choice & Bert at CB has been an epic fail the couple of times it has been tried.
Maybe Matty at CB?
:roll_eyes:

…or Hughes sacks them both and offers you and me a contract Phil.

Could work out although I might need you to do my running.

Give youth a chance I say.

1 Like

Keep him. Fulham aren’t upping their offer for no reason.
If Hughes wants 3(or 4) at the back, considering Bertrands age and attitude(possible sale?), what’s a better alternative(given finances)?
We also give ourselves the slight extra chance of Sessangan(still there?) looking at us, because they worked very well together.
I’ve maybe rated him higher than most, but have always thought he could make it and the way football treats a fullback now should suit him.

2 Likes

Not sure how he’s matured but if Fulham want him for £12m then he must be considerably better than anything they’ve got in their academy.

I see him in much the same mould as Ward-Prowse, in that he always seems to give absolutely 100%.

Whether 100% of a Targett is better than 80% or Bertrand is moot, but I’d trade his energy and desire for what I’ve seen from Bertrand over the last 18 months.

Agree about the risk, but i think the way the game has evolved has played to his strengths.
We’ve also spent a bit without recovering much, so if we sell what are the options?

1 Like

He’s not quick enough for me to make it as a modern full back. He has decent delivery but won’t beat a man to get to the byline. And if we don’t have a big centre forward in the ranks then his ability to put in a decent cross becomes almost irrelevant.

Think back to Bertrand’s run and cut back for Tadic against Chelsea. Targett hasn’t got that in his locker. In my opinion that is.

Bertrand appears to be our captain under Hughes so I imagine he sees that he is grafting and gives a toss, even though sometimes last season (under Pellegrino) this didn’t appear to be the case.

Sessegnon will go to Tottenham or somewhere else like that very soon. Already he is out of our price range I’m afraid!

For me, our immediate need lies elsewhere than a back up left back. Clearly we aren’t about to splash the cash without getting bodies out of the door first so we either sell those who are actually wanted, that we can do without right now, or we stick with what we have currently. Which seems like a risk given the arguable lack of attacking threat, with 3 out and just 1 in (2 if you count Armstong) so far.

Think we are more likely to sell McQueen than Targett.

But then McQueen was converted to LB from having been a winger, which implies he may have more about him going forward.
This is a head stomped. We don’t need both Bertrand AND Targett at the moment. Can’t see Bertrand going now, but if he has a good start to the season he could go in January.
I prefer Bert + McQueen

Definitely our preference, but Fulham have gone and put a £12m target on Targett.

Weren’t Liverpool rumoured to have had an interest in McQueen a season or so back?

Have the Drinkwater rumors died down completely?

I think Targett will be an ok premier league full back. £12m seems like decent money for him but it’s all very difficult to judge properly anymore. Maybe £12m is the new £300,000? We have McQueen and I’m sure we could pluck some young cunt out of Scotland or Portugal (specifically those two countries) to play back up

Keep him until January and when Fulham are in deep shit sell him to them then

They are spending some big money already (Mawson having a medical atm) and have signed that Seri bloke who is highly rated. So who knows how well they will do this season.

Either way, that doesn’t help us out in the here and now. From what we know, Fulham are the only side offering us cash for one of our players. So if we want any further signings, and need to sell in order to buy…

I just feel we need another attacking player. If they offer £15m for our second choice left back, then I feel we have to take that. That is pretty much what we paid for Elyounoussi.

5 Likes