⚽ The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

In fairness though, Gaston Ramirez and Dani Osvaldo both had a lot of talent. Both of which were loaned out until their contracts were up.

I’m not saying that will happen here, but there are no guarantees.

This article claims Celta have an option to buy him.

1 Like

Some depressing realities you have pointed out there, especially if there is the clause(suggests the club don’t rate his ability to go from talent to true pro).
Enough negatives, aren’t you excited about Elyounoussi and possibly Armstrong, with a chance of Vestergaard making the defence more dominant and generally solid?
One more big* signing to come i reckon and that’ll be us done(depending on unexpected departures).
Maybe another defender(Barcelona bloke), or a forward of some kind(not the Redmond kind).
I’d personally go for the defender as his supposed passing and general ball skills would suit both Lemina, Højbjerg and the two new attacking players(maybe help to speed things up).

*big as in potential, not fee or proven record.

P.S it’s really really hard to type on a phone when you’re pissed:lou_lol:

4 Likes

Morning! How’s the head?!

Yeah I am feeling pretty good about the business so far. All I’m saying, and presume what @Fatso was saying, was that if it was a permanent sale then we’d have that money back in the kitty to be reinvested. Otherwise it depends on if the club are going to spend some serious money without immediately recouping some.

Yeah I still would like to see a couple of deadwood departures and then one or two more signings. I’m (very) quietly still hoping for a big signing towards the end of the window, as we tend to do. Somebody in the Promes mould to score goals from wide areas and give us some pace for the counter attack.

Then a target man, CF.

Then if I’m being really greedy, another centre back. Although I doubt this will happen now, unless one of the existing defenders toddles off and there’s been no rumours to suggest any interest in them!

Anyway, I’m off to yoga! :sunglasses:

fucking hell reports that everton (no capital ‘e’ on purpose) are looking to by Richarlson for £50m! A guy who scored 5 goals in his first 12 games and ended the season with a record of 5 goals in 41, I don’t know whether to :lou_lol: or :lou_facepalm_2: (most probs :lou_lol:)

6 Likes

Heads starting to clear up a bit now thanks.
Another wide man would be good, but i can’t see it unless Redmond was sold, same with a forward.
Still think it’ll be the defender only, unless people leave.
That said, the club do generally throw in a surprise signing, so here’s hoping.
Enjoy the yoga(my head couldn’t deal with that yet).

Bear in mind we sold Tadic and now Boufal has gone. Only Mo in so far. I don’t think Armstrong is a Tadic replacement.

Fair points, but i see it like this.
Armstrong takes the responsibility in the middle and Elyounoussi on the left, with Sims as back up(he needs game time).
A right winger would be good, because at the moment it’s Redmond or JWP, possibly Long just cause he’s fast and doesn’t stop running. Have we been linked with any? I don’t see it being Promes, as he’s a left winger i believe.
Maybe a lighting fast youngish player from a club no one has heard of will appear in the next couple of weeks.

Proof (if you needed it) that I don’t have a clue what I’m on about…

1 Like

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11444457/southamptons-jordy-clasie-set-for-feyenoord-loan-move

1 Like

FONTE JOINS LILLE

Former Southampton defender Jose Fonte has signed a two-year deal with Lille after leaving Chinese side Dalian Yifang.

The Portugal international is currently in the stands as his new side take on Everton in a pre-season friendly.

We need a Lambert or even a Pelle urgently

We need 11 player who won’t let teams like Derby County walk over us in pre-season…

2 Likes

No surprises there, we must be close to the FFP (or whatever it’s called these days) wage limit…

Probably just squad size.

No?

I did ask @Redslo to come and do another analysis, but he didn’t show.

Also @Polski_Filip said he’d done the analysis but I think he posted something from the 72/73 season.

Introduced this season, Premier League clubs are required to name squads of 25 players, eight of whom must be homegrown. Clubs are permitted to select a maximum of 17 foreign players, while there are no limits on the number of under-21 players.

Meanwhile in 2017/18 the rules were? The same

After the closing of the summer transfer window each Premier League club had until 4pm BST on 1 September to submit a squad list containing no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the “Home Grown Player” (HGP) criteria.

The rest of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be Home Grown.

An HGP means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a transfer window.

I’m doing laundry and packing and post too much. Do the work yourselves in future
:lou_eyes_to_sky:

1 Like

Here you go @saintbletch, the Ugly have done one for you.

Definitely a case of too many players in the first instance. I imagine after the week in France, the fringe players will have been properly assessed and decisions will be made as to whether or not the likes of Reed and Gallagher are up to scratch following their loans last year. Neither are likely to get regular game time here so they may well jog on to pastures new.

Clasie’s departure is surely a matter of when rather than if. Forster concerns me though… where is he going to go? Bearing in mind Joe Hart is also available and struggling to find a club, and is arguably a better bet. Then there is Butland down in the Championship. I cannot see him staying there, but would cost a few quid. On top of that, there don’t appear to be too many suitors around for him. I imagine the club want to sell him but it is unlikely. A loan towards the end of the window is probably more likely.

I read that Chelsea were interested in Butland if Courtois goes to Madrid. So maybe that would start a chain reaction and Forster could toddle off to Stoke?

1 Like

This is the key line in that

That means that we already have 26 players outside of the U21 rules, if we make no more signings one of those would have to be omitted from the squad and not play.

So irrespective of wanting “more signings” as fiverweb and tweeters are demanding. We already have one too many!

Need to find a rest home for Forster and a lump of his 88k a week. Clasie to Feynoord, then it will simply be can we sell a forward IF we are bringing one in.

Just imagine the impact of finding a Shane Long clone who could actually shoot on target…

That would be good