⚽ The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

It’s like waiting ages for a bus and two turn up at once.

I can’t quite believe we’ve spent so much, so far tbh. Where’s the dosh all coming from? Surely not the owners?

Mark Hughes gets a bonus if we concede fewer goals than last season. He has therefore opted to go for 8 at the back.

4 Likes

Ì didn’t think we’ll sign this Brazil lad. That’s his agent trying to drum up business. We don’t need 2 new CB.

Seems weird

In all seriousness though, I am pretty much in agreement with what the club are doing so far. The squad needed an overhaul to freshen things up, especially with quite a few players completely shot of all confidence and quickly becoming dead wood.

The signing of Angus Gunn sends a clear message to Forster that his agent needs to find him a new club.

I think the probable signings of Marlon AND Vestergaard will do the same to one or two of the current centre backs as well. Which ones depart is anybody’s guess but I could imagine a few of them going out on loan (not all at once but I could make a case for a few). I could see Bednarek getting a loan away to get experience and maybe a permanent move for Stephens. Or Yoshida to China or something random like that. Either way, it’s hard to argue that the current crop are up to the standard we aspire to.

Add Sam McQueen to the outgoing list. I see Middlesbrough are apparently sniffing now.

Surely Boufal (who has underperformed) will be next out of the door and hopefully a replacement comes in. Personally I’m holding out a very faint hope of a big deadline day move for Promes. He has been linked with our pals Everton recently though, which is ironic seeing as he was our secondary option after losing out on Walcott to… yes, Everton.

With Carrillo gone I imagine a new lump up front could be on the cards. Possibly that Atalanta bloke by the sound of things. I can’t see Sam Gallagher getting a shirt but I could be wrong. Sheffield United are linked.

Clasie, Reed and maybe even Steve Davis could vacate the midfield too. Expect the club to demand only a nominal fee from Rangers for him.

Over the years we have been forced to wheel and deal but only really because of losing top players. This year is different, given our shite season, as there aren’t any obvious Liverpool bids for anyone looming on the horizon. What having undesirable players means for the club is ultimately less profit if nobody comes a knocking. Underperforming players contracts will be getting a bit shorter too, meaning that their values decrease as well.

I’m glad the club aren’t just penny pinching and hoping that the deadwood will improve.

Interesting times at least.

7 Likes

For some reason I trust these foreign newspapers a lot more than I do our own.

It looks a lot like he’ll play 3 centre backs and is maybe building a back line better equipped to play that system. This Marlon mush isn’t very tall but being Brazilian and at Barcelona, you’d imagine he’d be reasonably tidy on the ball. Perhaps more so than the others we have.

3 Likes

Agree with most of this. Bednarek loan or Yoshi moving makes most sense.
Not a big fan of Promes though.
Wouldn’t object to Danny Ings at the right price and we need a right back to push Cedric.
I reckon Clasie and Davis will move on and we will keep Harrison Reed.

3 Likes

I think of everything I’ve seen from the club recently, signing Gunn has given me the most hope.

Given the length of contract we just gave Forster (and the cash I imagine we’re shovelling into his bank) I would have fully expected our club to have kept Forster on the bench and start McCarthy with no real pressure.

Signing a highly rated young keeper as a number 2 for a chunk of change is a real statement I feel.

7 Likes

I don’t think the signing of Vestergaard means any of our current ones will go as if play a back 3 with 2 in reserve that seems about right, if we get Marlon as well we may get rid of one, and if we get someone like Ings as well i would think that this has been probably our best window for years

5 Likes

Man city have signed Mahrez for £60m

Crazy money. Crazy times.

How about Harry Reed as cover for Cedric?
He played there for Norwich a few times.
Just saying

Putting aside our early approaches for players, our not nit-picking over transfer fees and our loaning out of dead wood, this transfer 'window stands out because we read a rumour then we sign the player.

I can’t remember a 'window where our signings have all been accurately foreshadowed in the press.

We usually read something, take a massive pinch of salt and then move on.

What’s changed at the club?

Is this the diminishing role of Reed or something else?

You have to admire this bit of business

10yrs service, 451 goals! 4 champs league, and a £19m profit

That is some ROI

Well…
Ralph did say they wanted to improve communications and engagement with the fans.
Or
We really had identified these targets in January but had a lack of nerve over the threat of relegation

1 Like

More deals likely

Now they’re buying our players before they come to us…

How old is Angus Gunn?..asking for a friend…

6 Likes