🦇 The sci-fi, fantasy and capeshit thread

Hopefully the last and best outing for Huge Ackman as The Wolverine, needs to go out with a bang and put this character to rest.

Ooh ooh oooooh!

Hopefully not as shit as the last effort - there is some pedigree there (although Pacific Rim was a bit iffy, as was Godzilla)

Legendary Entertainment, the team behind The Dark Knight, Godzilla, Interstellar, Pacific Rim, and many others, just picked up the rights to Frank Herbert’s equally legendary scifi novel, Dune.

“The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and television projects for a global audience,” according to a press release.

Basically, that’s it. That’s the extent of the news. It could be a new movie, a TV show, an animated film, we don’t know. But companies don’t make these announcements lightly. It’s safe to say Dune will be back sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Dubai_Phil

Ooh ooh oooooh!

Hopefully not as shit as the last effort - there is some pedigree there (although Pacific Rim was a bit iffy, as was Godzilla)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/dune-is-about-to-make-a-major-comeback-1789227586?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Legendary Entertainment, the team behind The Dark Knight, Godzilla, Interstellar, Pacific Rim, and many others, just picked up the rights to Frank Herbert’s equally legendary scifi novel, Dune.

“The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and television projects for a global audience,” according to a press release.

Basically, that’s it. That’s the extent of the news. It could be a new movie, a TV show, an animated film, we don’t know. But companies don’t make these announcements lightly. It’s safe to say Dune will be back sooner rather than later.

Mixed feelings about this, excited and wary at the same time, could be that my expectations are too high. big fan of the book and Lynch’s concept for the film, didn’t get on with the sci-fi channel mini series. if treated properly this could be fucking epic,

1 Like

1 Like

Can someone explain Westworld? There’s multiple timelines and stuff. I’m confused :astonished:

Not the best forum to ask

This little snippet should see Pap getting slightly moist.

New Thor movie, Next Avengers and Star Trek 4 with Chris Hemsworth.

Think the interesting throw away line is that Chris (George Kirk in the Kelvin Timeline) is being informed about ST4 or even mooted to be in the next movie.

I haven’t even watched Star Trek Beyond yet, Phil.

Well, with all that new advertising revenue you can afford an IMAX Home Theatre system.

MrsD_P sells those so can arrange a good deal for us posters - may even run to my next bar bill

4 Likes

This should be good. Enjoyed the book:

And reminds me that everyone should watch Deadwood.

I see a lot of trailers for the new Iron Fist on Netflix. Is it just me or does the story seem to be exactly the same as the Arrow’s back story?

1 Like

I’ve seen quite a bit of it. I heard it was really shit. Low expectations raising the material perhaps, but I think it is alright. A bit more of a soap opera, but I’m enjoying that more than Luke Cage’s mishmash of plots and villains.

So a bit more on Iron Fist. The reviewer types on the Internet reckons its the worst of the Netflix series so far. I’ve not seen the end yet, but so far, I’m finding it a wee bit more engaging than Luke Cage. Yes, it has a soap opera style, but as someone that has watched seasons of Desperate Housewives willingly, that was never going to be much of a deterrent.

The Guardian are inexplicably having a go at it for whitewashing, referencing the recent casting of Tilda Swinton in Doctor Strange and Scarlett Johanson’s upcoming stint in Ghost In The Shell, both Asian characters re-cast as whitey for a Western audience. The Guardian can do one; Iron Fist was a white dude in the comics. There has been no racial recasting here. The most interesting thing the article contained was that the comic strip followed David Carradine’s Kung Fu being on the telly.

It is what it is. It’s martial arts hokum in the Marvel Universe, as it was when it launched back in the 1970s. The show has sensibly gone after people that can actually do martial arts, who for the most part do a passable job on the acting stakes.

I also really fancy Joy, who puts me in mind a dirty Pam Dawber, one of the first women I can ever remember fancying.

We can’t really be using Arrow as an original source, given that he’s all but Batman himself and is probably on the telly because no live action Bats series can properly be made. We’ve got Gotham which is sort of a weird sideways glance that puts nearly all the focus on the villains. Arrow is structurally Batman as an adult.

“Legion” on FX, is just the most original thing on TV. Noah Hawley, the guy who rebooted Fargo was given free reign on a show. It’s in the Marvel universe, but it’s more David Lynch

The original script read, Lenny dances meanicingly … Aubrey Plaza just kind of improvised the scene :laughing:

Finished up on Iron Fist last night. Overall, a bit of a missed opportunity which does some things very well, but others pretty badly. More than anything else, it puts more meat on the bones of The Hand, the Eastern crime organisation that was introduced during the Daredevil shows. For that alone, it’s not a complete waste of time. They do however, waste a lot of time.

For a martial arts show, there really isn’t that much martial arts action on show overall. There are multiple flashbacks to Danny’s traumatic origin as the Iron Fist, a corporate soap opera plot, a big twist in the last few episodes. If you were trying to pick themes from this shit, you might say that its overall message is that it is important to have your shit together. Danny’s main power doesn’t work without it, and this show falls to bits in pieces because the screenwriters really didn’t have theirs together.

I still remain fond of it, but if anyone ever wanted to troll me on the Netflix series, this would be the one that emerged from under the bridge. As I said earlier, it is what it is, but some of the dialogue low-points and inconsistent character development is difficult to overlook.