🦇 The sci-fi, fantasy and capeshit thread

Watched the Incredibles with the offspring last night.

Great movie

1 Like

Wasn’t that fussed first time around. One of my favourite movies of all time now.

2 Likes

Brilliantly done, the ‘feel’ of the movie is superb. Love Syndromes island with the egg capsules. Gets better with each viewing.

Boom. Daredevil season two is now on Netflix and I am fully prepared. 5.1. 4K. Just need to wait for ms pap to get home before indulging. That shit’s no good to you if you’re dead.

Much like The Big Lebowski, it threw me on the first viewing. Up until that point, Pixar hadn’t really done much with the adult world, so seeing a load of ostensibly mundane kitchen sink stuff messed me up on first go. But yep, 'tis a work of genius. Still love the part where Dash looks down and realises he’s running on water.

2 Likes

lols pap needs to watch cartoons multiple times before he understands them fkn dumbass

let me know brah. I thought first season was ok, but i don’t think i can take any more Foggy. Hopefully he gets iced first scene pls.

1 Like

Playing Star Trek Timelines on the iPad - its geek nirvana :wink:

I am off to see Batman vs Superman : Dawn of Justice today with the LivFam. We have reasonably low expectations, as the film has garnered some fairly negative critical reviews (what do they know, eh?) and is directed by Zack Snyder, who, when left to his own devices, made a truly fucking horrible film in Sucker Punch. He’s very good at doing action stuff, and could have chose anything as connective tissue for the myriad of set-pieces that film had. What does he choose? The escapist delusions of young women being raped in an asylum.

We shall see if the film deserves the shite.

Pap, you have summed up Zack Snyder … :laughing:

1 Like

Well, not only did I sum him up, but gave a decent bloody prediction of how Batman vs Superman turned out. It’s not a great film, suffering from the same problem Sucker Punch did, and a whole lot more too. I’ve read books in which the Man of Steel goes up against the Dark Knight, the best being Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns. In that book, the Bat has become a menace to society, and is inspiring others to commit similar acts.

Here, Bats is pissed off with Supes because of the climax of Man of Steel, and specifically the part in which half of Metropolis comes crashing down. I knew this going in, and actually thought it might be a decent place to start, addressing a major fault with the last movie.

Nope.

What could have been a decent film is let down by something which seems to plague modern movies. People that make stupid decisions in order to advance the plot, and that happens to people both inside and outside the movie. There are a few wtf moments where you just think “you stupid cunts”, and your thoughts are directed at both people in the movie and those that have made it.

It’s a film trying to be too many things. If they’re just concentrated on Supes v Bats, they’ve had made a better movie. Frankly, Lex was never needed and neither were Wonder Woman, or the cameos of Aquaman and The Flash.

It compares terribly with The Avengers, the Marvel film which doesn’t even contain all of the Marvel A-Listers. That movie beats it on a couple of levels. First, we’re already familiar with most of the characters and the actors that play them. Only Mark Ruffalo was “new”, and he was arguably the best thing in that film, which again, shows that BvS has really fucked it up. Even the bits that are supposed to be funny fell totally flat.

Anyway, something of a disaster for me. The missus and juvenile unit #2 liked it, but critics eh, what do they know? The more pertinent question for me is where we put Zack Snyder after this, because although he went for Dawn of Justice, he could well have produced the Death of Series.

Originally posted by @pap

Well, not only did I sum him up, but gave a decent bloody prediction of how Batman vs Superman turned out. It’s not a great film, suffering from the same problem Sucker Punch did, and a whole lot more too. I’ve read books in which the Man of Steel goes up against the Dark Knight, the best being Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns. In that book, the Bat has become a menace to society, and is inspiring others to commit similar acts.

Here, Bats is pissed off with Supes because of the climax of Man of Steel, and specifically the part in which half of Metropolis comes crashing down. I knew this going in, and actually thought it might be a decent place to start, addressing a major fault with the last movie.

Nope.

What could have been a decent film is let down by something which seems to plague modern movies. People that make stupid decisions in order to advance the plot, and that happens to people both inside and outside the movie. There are a few wtf moments where you just think “you stupid cunts”, and your thoughts are directed at both people in the movie and those that have made it.

It’s a film trying to be too many things. If they’re just concentrated on Supes v Bats, they’ve have made a better movie. Frankly, Lex was never needed and neither were Wonder Woman, or the cameos of Aquaman and The Flash.

It compares terribly with The Avengers, the Marvel film which doesn’t even contain all of the Marvel A-Listers. That movie beats it on a couple of levels. First, we’re already familiar with most of the characters and the actors that play them. Only Mark Ruffalo was “new”, and he was arguably the best thing in that film, which again, shows that BvS has really fucked it up. Even the bits that are supposed to be funny fell totally flat.

Anyway, something of a disaster for me. The missus and juvenile unit #2 liked it, but critics eh, what do they know? The more pertinent question for me is where we put Zack Snyder after this, because although he went for Dawn of Justice, he could well have produced the Death of Series.

Thanks for the review pap. To be honest I would rather eat my own shit than go and watch some abomination called Batman v Superman but at least now I know I’m not missing much.

In much happier news, I am pleased to say that I’ve seen the second season of Daredevil, and would recommend it to anyone with a passing interest in ye olde capeshit. I’d recommend the whole Defenders project to date, actually. So far, that’s two series of Daredevil and one series of Jessica Jones, both of which have got some love here. The eventual aim is launch four shows based on a single character, before going for a team-up show which involves all of them.

This series introduces two new characters from the Marvel Universe. First up, we see Elektra, DD’s college squeeze and dangerous assassin, enter the fray. Elektra looms huge in the Daredevil mythos, and she is no disappointment here. Much of the series focuses on the differences between their methods. DD likes to break arms, Elektra likes to take heads. It’s often the little things that can cause problems in a relationship :slight_smile:

Also introduced is The Punisher. Played by Jon Bertnal (Shane from Walking Dead), it’s by far the best on-screen depiction of the character I have ever seen, putting previous best Thomas Jane into the shade. Again, the same kind of dynamic plays out between DD and The Punisher. The latter isn’t particularly fond of leaving his victims with any kind of workable pulse after he’s done with them.

There are a couple of things that really work for this show, and I’ve mentioned them when reviewing the first series. Firstly, it’s very faithful to the source material. As someone that has read the comic series, I can see them slowly building the wide world that DD inhabits, which is as much about beating Far Eastern gangs as it is with the concerns of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. The world-building seems even richer this year, particularly as the show re-uses some of the characters from last season (and does it very well - a sequence with Wilson Fisk is one of this run’s best).

Ironically, it’s when you try to view the show through a negative lens that you realise how good it is. “What does it do badly?” I ask myself. “Very bloody little”, is the answer. In fact, the only criticism that I have of the show is that it perhaps has too much going on toward the end of its run, but given that things get wrapped up satisfactorily, I really can’t moan.

My favourite Marvel thing-on-the-screen. Go get.

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Thanks for the review pap. To be honest I would rather eat my own shit than go and watch some abomination called Batman v Superman but at least now I know I’m not missing much.

If you ever take a turn for the worse, just watch the animated version of Dark Knight Returns. It has got a much better story, much better Bats vs Supes scrap and a female Robin. Kid Goat would enjoy that more, I reckon.

As I think was made clear, the recent Marvel stuff on Netflix has been very good. After watching “grown up” capeshit such as Jessica Jones and Daredevil, I can’t see myself dipping into the levity of the Flash anytime soon, or even checking the new DC show out, for a bit. For a couple of days, I didn’t even think I could look Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D in the eye, but then I did, and it’s still cool, but goes about things in a completely different way.

As I’ve said before, AoS has a lot of former Buffy people on it, so feels very much like that sort of show, just in Marvel’s Cinematic Universe (this sits in the same canon as the Avengers films, Agent Carter, etc).

Like Buffy, there’s a lot of stuff going on week to week, a lot of wisecracking and the slow reveal of a Big Bad. In many senses, it feels a little too familiar. I’ve seen pretty much all of Whedon’s former stuff, and I am well aware of the template. If I’d seen this show at fourteen though, probably would have thought it was the coolest shit on TV.

And Afleck’s reaction? I think this sums it up perfectly…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=68&v=cwXfv25xJUw

3 Likes

Yay Spoilers on EVERYTHING!

Tom Cruise wants his Mummy.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 woo hoo!

Dr Strange etc etc etc etc etc etc

I really liked Guardians of the Galaxy at the time. I also saw the Honest Trailer.

2 Likes

Dumb things in Batman v Superman

1 Like

Dr Strange trailer.