🦇 The sci-fi, fantasy and capeshit thread

There are more Trek series coming.

Section 31 is a spin-off featuring Michelle Yeoh’s former empress character.

Picard is a limited run series featuring Patrick Stewart back in his role.

Star Trek Shorts was something CBS put on their network to prevent people from cancelling their CBS all access subscriptions between seasons of Disco.

Ah - thanks gotcha :+1:

red letter media?

1 Like

Oh aye. I’ve seen so much of their stuff, so many times. Their opinions on things film are now pretty much indistinguishable from my own.

Love the Macauley Culkin guest appearances. He’s hilarious.

Update on Michelle Yeoh & Section 31 new Star Trek series for @Cobham-Saint just showing a geeky illness off

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/01/michelle-yeoh-to-lead-star-trek-section-31-series/

1 Like

Fab , ta @Polski_Filip - that has potential to be a goodie (not the Bill Oddie type)

:+1:

1 Like

The Punisher Season Two, presumably Marvel’s swansong on Netflix. Disney is setting up a new Marvel channel. All the old contracts are ending. If they’ve any sense, they’ll pick this show up as is. Bernthal is fantastic in the lead role, a brooding and capable menace with rare flashes of humour.

Frank was off the grid and free and clear of any government watchlists or local enforcement warrants at the end of the last season. If nothing else, season two shows that you can clear the record, but not the behaviour.

The first episode is a bit light on the old punishment. Amps up toward the end, but it’s largely Frank having it off with the sort of single mum Michael Knight and KITT would meet every week in Knight Rider. If anything, Frank is The Pleasurer for a good fifteen minutes. It was all very respectfully done.

The season soon shifts momentum into a road trip series, building strong character relationships between Frank and a teenage grifter in all kinds of trouble. It must be the easiest script in the world. Damsel in distress. Doesn’t like Frank much to start with. Go!

Doesn’t make it any less fun.

1 Like

fun fact, picked up a copy of manhunt for my ps2 today, and back in 2003 as a jobbing actor guess who was doing motion capture work? Jon Bernthal :lou_smiley:

1 Like

Brilliant book, was a made for tv 2 parter back in 90s, could be a great series

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1090735372080988161?s=19

Also…

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1090735135295787010?s=19

Twilight Zone

The Expanse s3 now up on Amazon Prime

Just watched the first two episodes- pretty good.

Not as glitzy as the latest Star Trek but more “believable” for a sci-fi space prog.

Recommended.

I’ve started catching up with this again, sort of lost it for a while catching up with other things.

Have now got to episode 5 and must admit I am mildly impressed with it!

You know Dr Smith is proper nawty but you don’t quite know what she is up to, yet!

1 Like

Disco update time, think theyve stepped up again in S2, now the big story has moved more to be a continual thread, so it now seems much more episodic with what are almost self contained stories.
Im liking Captain Pike, the depth of story/information in each episode is still huge and the bridge crew are finally getting involved and getting some lines instead of expressions.
Loving it again as a cinematic experience, and Michelle Yeoh can do no wrong now she seems to have a skin tight black leather uniform.

Ah, bugger. May not have thought this out very well.
Where the fark am I going to find English language movies at the cinema over here.

Equally, hurry up and get up to date on Disco because there is a really coincidental link to this movie and a brilliant timeline tweet that I cannot post FFS

Finishing up Netflix’s Marvel Universe. I finally sat down to watch the third and perhaps final season of Daredevil. It’s a great return to form after watching the second season lose its way in the martial arts stuff and introducing The Punisher, it’s a pleasure to get back to basics.

This year, Matthew Murdock faces off against both Kingpin and Bullseye, the latter a new character for the show. Bullseye is nearly always a great villain, having a very interesting but simple special ability. He’s very very good at throwing things. This incarnation is also something of a broken psychopath too.

Disney have already retained Deadpool from its recent rights get-back from Fox. I hope they do the same with Daredevil. Even with the second season, it is probably the best of the MCU shows on Netflix (although best individual season of anything was probably Jessica Jones S1) and undoubtedly the most faithful depiction of Daredevil and his world to hit the screens.

Deborah Anne Woll is also a fine arsed ginge and I’d like to see more of her.

1 Like

I haven’t watched any of: Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Iron Fist/Defenders,

would this affect my enjoyment of DDS3 or do I need to sit my arse down and trawl through all the other series?

It helps Gav, but it isn’t critical in the way DC Universe mess up storylines in Arrow/FlashLegends by having mixed up episodes.
HTH

Currently running through Flash which while entertaining is not as well acted or as deep as Arrow and much more geeky CAPESHIT scifi

1 Like

I watched the first series of Flash, enjoyed that they found room for the cast from the 90’s incarnation, but yeah I heard there was a lot of crossover and I can’t be arsed with that type of nonsense, FFS i’ve still got about 8 marvel films to watch so can’t see any at the cinema until I’ve caught up :tired_face:

1 Like

Do yourself a favour and at least watch JJ S1. Tennant’s villain is amazing on two levels, his performance and the fun the writers have with his powers. It’s fucking delicious.

You do not need to have watched any of the other stuff to enjoy DD season 3 if you’ve seen the other two seasons. If memory serves, Matt might be missing, presumed dead, following the events of The Defenders. That might also be a worthwhile watch, if only to see if you have any appetite for Luke or Danny.

That was one of the things I really liked about it. There are callbacks to season one too. Very few loose ends exist in the immediate DD-verse by the end of season three.

I didn’t dislike any of the MCU, even Iron Fist S1, which got critically panned. All shows do their own thing. The world building across all four is pretty decent. You get a real sense of the MCU New York criminal underworld system. I wouldn’t prioritise Luke Cage or Iron Fist, but they’re perfect fayre for that Sunday when you’re hanging and cannot do anything else :wink:

2 Likes

I am up to date

1 Like

Marvel villain? Thalos.

And then at end of last Discovery they head for Thalos 4.

Then this

https://twitter.com/jillsville7/status/1102217397468123142?s=19