😃 The Little Pleasures of Everyday Life

When me and the kids first arrived in the Philippines from Dubai and the first afternoon rain arrived the kids asked “can we go out and play in the rain”

“Yes go its fun” was my reply.
“ argh they will get wet” was the mrs.
“They will enjoy it” me.

They did.

3 Likes

Point of order. I believe that the BBC switched weather forecasters so that the government had to make up the shortfall in Met office funding.

A ‘two fingers to you’ for the charter fannying and budget cuts.

1 Like

Link?

Funny if true.

:grinning:

The company switched weather forcasters for one based in Dubai whilst the rig is based in the South China Sea because it was cheaper.

We now have a wet stone and a window to see what the weather is like. Nothing to determine what it is going to be.

The seaweed in my garden says…no rain yet.
…although a little dew on the grass, which was nice.

1 Like

A 12 minute commute, door to door.

After the hell on roads experience of:-

• The stolen Dorset area
  • The M6

It is genuinely like having half a day’s leave, every day.

What do I do with all this time?

Where you working now papster?

I am ITK, @saintbletch.

In the Knowsley. I think it’s the first time I’ve worked locally and actually gone to work for around 9 years.

Quite strange. Someone called my name today and I ignored it, assuming they must be talking to another Paul.

Nope, it is my missus’ mate’s fella. He works there too.

2 Likes

Children, yes believe it or not, children.
How did my daughter become so damm sensible and organised? Some of you have met me, so know she doesn’t get it from me and i can vouch for her mothers lack of, well anything really.
Just got a call as she has finished her first day on her research placement and she seems to be enjoying it and looking forward to the work.
It’s nice watching the sensible ones grow up and i’ve at last realised how patient my parents must have been.

5 Likes

An R white’s ice lolly. Bloody brilliant

2 Likes

Nothing in the fridge for dinner, can’t be arsed to go to the shops, got a nice crusty loaf though and some extra virgin olive oil and some really good balsamic vinegar to dip it in :yum:

3 Likes

That’s a thing?

This stuff frozen?

Top trivia question coming right up. Can you identify the man in that famous advert? His son is considerably better known, but he (the advert man) sang on the ad as well as starring in it.

For some reason I thought the ad itself was later than 1973. Maybe it just ran for a few years.

1 Like

Yep

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/r-whites-lemonade-ice-lollies-x3-262g?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=lSxWEC2mjjh%2ByvNwbJwJBuu9MAlDRIGGMmA8xlynvT%2FdYK67Z%2BPfiUEu7eO6MPPlRlzNDtyulJfG9K5wlPNnkSY3KOnvdr75nt%2B4JMinZDQygvhIG8LCHZoAy0O2JAA%2Bpa%2BGPDIsjh3rPvrGjyCU6G%2FOVzR1FO1GdDWQwcz0Jmc%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fr-whites-lemonade-ice-lollies-x3-262g

It must of done as I wasn’t born until 1975 and remember seeing it as a kid. I’ve cheated and looked up the answer. I can see it now.

I believe you’ve told me this before.

(You boring bastard)

I’ll leave it for others to see if they can get through to the bonus round.

I think there were a few versions, wasn’t ronnie corbett in one?

Declan McManus’ dad - can’t remember his name

2 Likes

Ross McManus it most certainly is. He had a long career as a singer, much of it spent with the Joe Loss orchestra. Scarcely the household name that his son became, though. The prize for your perspicacity is the warm glow of beating various old farts to the punch.

1 Like

Squid. Not something I get to eat, let alone cook, very often, as my ever-loving wife won’t touch it. I did once make her my fabulous dish of squid braised with aubergines (mentioned in the recipes thread I believe), and she said she liked it; but we hadn’t been seeing each other for too long at that point so she was very certainly just being polite.

But, as she’s away in Marrakesh with her elder daughter this week, last night I had two fresh squid, bought at the market in Emsworth, seared in the pan with olive oil, garlic and some hot smoked paprika. Served with tomatoes and sour dough bread, it was fucking lovely. And if you think that squid, like Bletch’s underpants, is rubbery and tasteless, then you’ve never had it cooked properly.

2 Likes