😃 The Little Pleasures of Everyday Life

Time Zones.

Means that we will be tucked up in bed LONG before you lot are subjected to this

All together now

Why You an’ Me? Null Pwoints

1 Like

Ramadan Kareem one and all.

Image result for ramadan kareem

The Holy Month is upon us, it is a special yet frustrating time for differing reasons.

It allows us entry into the local culture with invites to Iftar (Breaking the Fast) Buffets - basically scoffing your face on (mainly) Lebanese Mezzas. Time to actually sit with our brothers from another mother - they have more time and focus on their family and friends.

It’s a time when IF you get to the Malls during the daylight hours they are not so manic (or full of tourists).

Work hours are 6 per day by law, the bars cannot have “entertainment” so IF you actually do go out you can sit and talk without some 25 quid a night idiot DJ playing Cheese 80’s shit music.

Yes the bars are open from about 7pm to about 1pm (luckily no midweek games at the moment!).

Downsides?

Work. Not going to the office per se, the simple fact that everything just grinds to a halt. Fasting for 13+ hours in 37C++ is hard on anyone and getting decisions made, getting to a meeting to find the person you were meeting had gine home, THATA is a nightmare. For us, there is no entertainment or events in Ramadan, most DJ mates just go home for the month, so that IS tough. We plan we do future stuff, companies upgrade their offices/systems etc but let’s face it 29 days of you-tube watching in the office is DULL.

Driving - all the rush hours are messed up, locals try to start earlier and finish by about 2pm - the same time as the schools. Then there is a really weird quiet time between about 4:30 to 6pm before carnage as people rush to whichever Iftar/Mosque. Certainly driving around sunset in Ramadan is something only done in an emergency.

The Malls don’t have special offers, it is a time of giving so shops charge full price. This year the Government subsidised a range of foodstuffs so there are some crazy deals on staple items.

But at the end of the day, it’s always about Dates (not that type Bearsy) Baklawa and for me Humuus with Pine Nuts and Minced Lamb.

Oh and house parties. Lots of house parties.

Just like the fvckers at the end of the corridor in our block - “Arabic” who just got raided by the Police for having a VERY loud karaoke night.

What “ism” does that fit into in the West? Arabs being offensive to Muslims in Ramadan?

Anyway back to my own tradition on this first day,

Bacon Sandwich with HP Sauce and a Pint of London Pride.

Peace and Prosperity to you all

And tbh? It IS a special time to be down here. Just don’t smoke in public. Which IS kind of hard in non smoking buildings.

#homeworkingmonth

1 Like

I mentioned Ramadan & how quiet it is.

Today found ÂŁ98 return from here to Katowice close to Krakow so can escape for a week!

1 Like

I used to love Ramadan when I lived in the UAE as Phil says work finishes at 2 in the afternoon and no bar music to annoy you when they open at 1900 which gives you time to go home and change.

1 Like

Quick beach trip today (top the tan up before Poland & Blighty next week.

We are about to get hit by the outer edge of a former Cyclone off the coast of Yemen/Oman so are expecting winds to pick up and the air to become toxic and full of fine grain dust (downside of being here)

But the beach - quiet because of Ramadan.

Air Temp 38C, an 11 kmh breeze off the sea, and a water temp of 30c.

The pleasure? Just floating around for an hour, bobbing like a cork in the crystal clear waters nobody else around…

A gentle aquarobics session (no not that ffs it’s Ramadan) and nobody to disturb me.

Except for Mrs D_P who had of course sunbathed and had turned lobster red even with factor 30 on…

And then a nice bacon sandwich followed any moment now by a snooze

Happened upon an advert for Asterix exhibition the other day so we decided to go today. It’s at the Jewish Museum in Camden. I was a big Asterix fan as child/teen. My uncles gave me their old copies (I still have them). It was interesting to see Goscinny’s journey. I came away with a few souvenirs. The dogmatix mug will bring a smile every time I have a cuppa.

The rest of the museum provides education and history of Judaism. We didnt get to see it all (also accidently went the wrong way). I may have to head back. I would suggest going to the Asterix exhib after seeing the rest. But give yourself time and expext to be angry and upset.

1 Like

Sittting by the pool with a Vodka and coke just letting the world go by

Pool stream has been switched off the grandkids are on holiday in Hong Kong, The Wife has gone shopping.

The silence is golden.

4 Likes

Going to a rock concert and you realise that you must be one of the youngest there. That hasn’t happened for nigh on 30 years.

2 Likes

@cb-saint was at St Mary’s last night lucky you.

Twas epic, even though Charlie Watts looked like he might keel over at any point

3 Likes

He has done for the last 20 years :lou_lol:

That cheap 6 hour Wizz Air flight was grim. Got to in-laws at 02:30.

Awoke at 08:00 to discover Mrs D_P had climbed a tree in the garden and picked a bowl of fresh Cherries for breakfast.

The ones in Dubai come by sea taking 4 weeks+.

Nothing has ever tasted as good as that breakfast.

Took Pop to the village shop where I was “chatted up” by a cute young lass and talked into buying a kilo of fresh Strawberries for £1.20 from a farm stall.

Lunch was better than breakfast…

Now onto business meetings then Pork for dinner then I’m being taken clubbing.

May need Red Bull…

2 Likes

Fresh cherries from the garden for breakfast. You lucky thing. I absolutely love cherries.

1 Like

When I lived in Greece we had a cherry tree (if you could really call it a tree) in the back garden of our staff accommodation. It pumped out an amazing 4 cherries, which I scoffed one day when I was playing in the garden with our cat. A few days later my housemate tells me quite excitedly that she’s baking us 4 big cupcakes that we can each have a cherry on, to which I had to tell her that 3 people in the house were going to be disappointed and one of them wasn’t me. Amazingly she still let me have the cupcake so winner/winner :lou_smiley:

3 Likes

Krakow Rynek. Never fail to lve this place.

Tonight just in the small square behind the Cathedral drinking Marcowe (a stronger but not sweet lager) and eating ribs that fall off the bone.

Listening to a local choir singing Country Roads…

Absolute heaven.

Coming after a successul business meeting :sunglasses:

4 Likes

A quick flip over from my annoying hangover for the on spot report on The Eucharist

After morning Mass a procession passes through this (every) village in Poland. Kids scatter rose petals the clergy have their icons a Priest is chanting and a small brass band play.

They move past 3 altars where they stop and pray.

It was way out of my non Catholic non lingo speaking comfort zone and tried to be diplomatic with the photos avoiding the kids in National Dress.

It was “spiritual” But most amazing was that the ENTIRE village turned out several thousand of them repeated across the whole Nation. Community spirit on display and totally heart warming.

And so obvious what a gap there is in other places …

Can’t do pics from here but will try

Village life

1 Like

The local farmer has sprayed some of his fields with manure. Wind is blowing in our direction and you can hear the neighbours kicking off…ruining the evening for everyone apparently

Being a Forest lad it doesn’t bother me. Manure is manure and if you want food, even the veggies and vegans, well…

Anyway, has made my day

:lou_lol:

3 Likes

Careful @cobham-saint close all the windows that could be a retalitory nerve agent attack on the Chelski Training Camp…Abramovich’s Putin connection make anything connected with him a prime MI6 target.

2 Likes

Hadn’t thought of that aaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggh…,

2 Likes

Decent weather, in the garden with a 12 year El Dorado, a bucket of ice and the birds singing.

I’m rather enjoying it(not a whiff off manure Cob).

I may post drunken bollocks later :lou_lol:

5 Likes