📰 The latest news!

Why the fuck did I read this thread.

Posted from Changi Airport

5 Likes

You ain’t gonna be on a 737 from there to Europe that’s for sure

I have just done 2 737 flights from Labuan to Kl then on to Manila. On Malaysian airways they are paranoid another one of theres wil go down with the new safety briefing that they have but they only use the older type 737’s tried and tested but with a 30 year flaw somewhere.

Looks like 777

1 Like

Anyone want to write a play.

As long as the playwright keeps in the authentic smell of piss from the hideous Hobbit toilets.

2 Likes

Have you used any local government toilets? Nearly as bad.

1 Like

Its 2019 and we should all now be able to use appropriate language in our case recording about other human beings. I’ve seen some shocking old records which appalling language about people but we should be able to say we think someone may not be truthful with out saying what this dwp worker said.

3 Likes

Shit

BBC News - Notre-Dame cathedral on fire in Paris

oh dear God

Oh, that’s not good. I don’t have a religious bone in my body, but that is (was?) an awe inspiring building.

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen American Gods, but its central premise is that Gods exist because we believe in them. Some of the gods in the show are pure old timers from the Norse days, weakened in the present because no-one gives much of a fuck about them.

Even if you ignore Gaiman’s most interesting idea, I’ve always thought of religion as empire of the mind. The historical Catholic Church is a brilliant example of that, calling the shots because although individual kings may have been ordained by God, it was the main authority on what precisely God was up until Henry VIII got fucked off with Catherine of Aragon.

In that empire of the mind context, this action isn’t surprising. Kids these days are far more into Harry Potter than they are with Jesus. Lennon infamously said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus. He was right then (football is bigger than Jesus in the empire of the mind stakes) but it was a massively controversial thing to say fifty years ago.

As religious populations dwindle, those that are left get more extreme. That will include folk that bomb abortion clinics, try to pray the gay away, speak in tongues or commit terrorist atrocities, all in the name of God.

It obviously includes a contingency of pissed off Polish priests that are miffed about losing the war for the empire of the mind to a single mum on benefits, banging a book out in an Edinburgh cafe.

1 Like

In other news, today I received confirmation that I will be made a Freeman of the City Of London - ceremonial date in May tbc.

Fuck, a boy from the Waterside!

Means a lot to me anyway…it’s not a big deal otherwise.

5 Likes

1 Like

Cunt :wink:

1 Like

You will now have to buy a flock of sheep to drive through the centre of town.

I would speak with Fowl old one if I was you he’s Welsh and knows things.

3 Likes

I have a 3.5kg shoulder of lamb sitting in the oven defrosting. May take a few of them l…

2 Likes

I have a couple of racks of ribs in the fridge. We need @Goatboy to tie them all together and find someone to reanimate them should be easy enough to do over the Easter period.

4 Likes

Details, details, details?

How, why, when, what’s it mean, etc?

Does it come with an honorific?

Do we call you Sir, Sire, Master, cunt, Kev?

How many sucks did you have to cock to get this?

Do you have to wear a Morgan Freeman mask?

Do you have to pay the congestion charge?

Obvs you’ll be given a new badge here.

x

In order of @saintbletch ‘s questions:

1. As not many people live in the City companies who pay business rates get to vote in elections- I’m a registered voter so eligible to become a Freeman - subject to sucking cock to get nominated by members of a Livery Company. I should be able to drive sheep over London Bridge, subject to wearing wellies. @Llwybr-Cyhoeddus will have the inside track on the best ones for the job :wink:
  2. No honorific. I still answer to OI YOU! or Stop Thief!
  3. No cocks sucked (though see above) but am having trouble sitting down
  4. Only if you want me to
  5. My chauffeur manages that sort of thing obvs…

Kx

4 Likes