⚽ The January transfer window thread

Yeah, here’s the thing, Baz, you said “costing the bare minimum” and we now know that is not the case.

We’re spending loads of money because if you add all the teams in all the leagues in Europe, we’re the 19th highest spender.

So that should really put that line of criticism against the club to bed. As we’ve previously agreed the club has got itself into this situation through mismanagement - but it’s spending cash. Lots of it. More than most.

But then you change tack and go on to something I don’t really understand.

So, you lament the days when we bought overpriced shit for no return?

2 Likes

Football transfers thread?
What next, I wonder?

1 Like

Sign Lev Yashin?

No I’d love the board to say what their goals are, the aspirations of the club, what can the fans look forward to.

I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to mean.

You would only fucking moan about anything they said.

2 Likes

True story but at least I could actually moan at something.

As opposed to moaning at nothing?

2 Likes

Exactamundo Simon exactamundo.

Some people just love having something to moan about. Me, I’m just pleased we’re not in league one anymore.

Although it was exciting seeing us win so often.

We have to accept that we’re a small club in comparison to all the others, despite having the 19th highest wage bill. To have ideas of grandeur we’d have to be at least in the top ten of wages and we know where that’ll get us if it all went tits up (Leeds United, Bradford City perhaps? I remember them spunking a fortune on someone, was it Carbone?)

I definitely don’t want to see us going into administration again, so us looking around for bargains in the championship, under good management, is alright by me.

Gao doesn’t need to tell me his plans. Just keep us ticking along with attractive football please. That’s all I ask.

11 Likes

Thank you @Dizzyfeet some common sense for a change.

2 Likes

Dizzyfeet… The voice of reason…

And cracking dance lessons

2 Likes

Do you dance in public or are you a private dancer (no touching obvs.)?

I’ll be your private dancer @saintbletch
…dancer for money

1 Like

Even if that means treading water in the Premier League?

Us and 11 other teams on a yearly basis.

With our history, fan base and current financial situation that’s all we can expect. The odd flutter up the top of the table and the odd stutter down the bottom. So long as we’re at the top table and playing attractive football, that’s what matters.

Unless we get bought, again, by some ridiculously rich playboy with a penchant for sea air and old walls, and he splashes loads of cash at us - this is it for us.

Of course we could slowly year on year progress, develop a bigger fan base, build a new stadium, generate more of our own cash and do it organically. But that’s not going to happen either. We can’t risk another financial meltdown and spiralling down the leagues chasing something g unachievable.

Now I love to dream and doing a ‘Leicester’ would be amazing, but we’re from Southampton. Not London, or Liverpool or Manchester. Those are big cities with massive support and multiple clubs in each district.

We’re still a big fish in our pond down here surrounded by Eastleigh, Totton & Eling, Romsey Town and even that little club Portsmouth…

Until the city of Southampton is pushing upwards of 500k people, I doubt much will change.

Let’s play good attractive football, enjoy the wins when they come and revel in the marvel of finding a hidden. Gem from the lower leagues (before we eventually sell them for a big profit!)

We seem to be heading in the right direction now with regards the on pitch situation so who knows where that will take us next season.

13 Likes

Totally agree but why can’t the board say this?

Thats all that needed, it sticks in the craw all this ambition lark, why don’t they just say we aim to be the best shopping window in England.

What would be the point?

1 Like

Well most business’s spell out their intentions don’t they?
Why are we different?
Are we so arrogant we don’t have to?

Is it already known? Even down here, everyone knows 'lil ol Saints for being 3 things; being quirky, a shop window and the home of MLT.

I really doubt it was ever in Mr Gao’s remit or best interest for him to say “You know what, were going to be a shop window!”, screamed from the top of the Mega Store. We are Southampton and if the old guard didn’t sell our secrets of our success for back page coverage, we may have just been still punching above our weight.

I for one, like @Dizzyfeet, am chuffed to still be at the big table, that we have a manager and players that seem to enjoy being on the field and that we didn’t go out of existence all those years ago

FWIW

8 Likes