⚽ The January transfer window thread

So therefore would you say Bournemouth at the time of the signing were doing bad business?
Ours is a policy not solely one player.
Ours is a scattergun approach fuck me, look at at recent 3 centreback purchases.
Carillo anyone?
That wank winger?
That black box is a shite xbox.

On the specific subject of Defoe signing for Bournemouth, my answer is simple. At the time that he signed for them, I’d have said it was a reasonable signing - no better than that. If I’d then been told that there was a hefty signing-on fee and that he was on £65,000 a week, I’d have seen it as a pretty big risk. His record at Sunderland hadn’t been brilliant (34 goals in 87 league appearances), indicating a player who was past his best. Would I have been happy if we’d signed him on those terms? No, I wouldn’t have.

On the more general subject of our approach and transfer policy, I’ll try this one more time, though fuck knows why. Our approach will have some successes and some failures. Signing older players will also have some successes and some failures. If our approach is scattergun then so is the one that you propose. Our three most recent centre back purchases are Bednarek, Hoedt and Vestergaard. Of these, it’s clear that Hoedt has been a bad signing, but the other two are now looking decent and likely to get better. Carillo was a panic buy last January and was shite. Elyounoussi doesn’t look great so far and may not work out. Meanwhile, Armstrong looks an excellent signing.

Some you win, some you lose. I could list excellent signings over the past couple of years to match those you think are shit, but what would be the point? The simple fact is that I prefer what we do to what you want us to do. Let’s leave it at that.

2 Likes

Thats a good return for a Premiership player, we signed Austin and how much do we pay him? Didn’t want him signed then? Long? Similar salary.

Charlie Austin scored more Prem goals than Defoe last season, and he has scored more Prem goals than him this season too (as has Shane Long :lou_wink_2:)

5 Likes

Lots of Cedric to Inter tweets today

Even sky have hold of it now… interesting.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11615880/southamptons-cedric-soares-in-advanced-inter-milan-talks

Good player, will not miss his strop face!

Can’t argue with @gwc

https://twitter.com/crstig/status/1088287136179253248?s=19

1 Like

Ahem.
Check the Saints,Tweets Thread :wink:

My, Serie A has fallen…

Different tweet :stuck_out_tongue: now I’ve removed the space from before the tweet URL the omnibox has resolved it properly!!

1 Like

He’ll be another one of those players people say look at what he’s won as a defence of him yet stack it up to so did Bosingwa, David May and Traore.

Maehle from Genk as Cedric replacement???

Get that moneyball a rollin’…

Who would you sign at right back Baz?

@Barry-sanchez’s shopping list

2 Likes

Bazza

Who would you have us sign at right back Baz?

BaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Who should we sign Baz?