⚽ The January transfer window thread

On the cheap? Boufal and carillo = £35 + mill.

It doesn’t fit in with Bazzas narrative
He would rather we write off that investment and sign a couple of declining old wankers who are older than my gran on silly wages and pay the associated agents fees, all because they are proven once upon a time.

BTW the snow is mega and it is dumping again - powder day tomorrow

5 Likes

Cool. looking at the forecast it appears there is around 1 metre due at the end of the month :grinning:

To be honest, from what I have seen so far I feel that Boufal would be the antithesis of a ‘Ralph player’. Would he honestly work and run as hard as Ralph’s style demands? His attitude and application is also in question, even if his talent is not.

That said, those who Hughes disregarded have so far proven to be our most resurgent players under Ralph so maybe there is still hope for Carrillo and Boufal.

1 Like

Milner, Defoe, Cahill etc etc

Seriously, what has Defoe done for the last ~3 years?? How much did Bournemouth pay him and what did he actually do for them.

I have a look at his record if I were you. He went to Bournemouth on a free, good business.

And how do his stats for Bournemouth look? From 11 starts and 17 sub appearances in the Prem, four goals. In the cups, no goals. He was given a £6M signing fee and is on £65,000 a week. So great a piece of business was this that he is now on loan at Rangers.

2 Likes

Maybe so at Bournemouth I’ll give you that but before? Footballers aren’t finished at 30. Christ how many has Shane Long scored?

1 so far this season but I’m sure if it were up to you it would be zero.

1 Like

But still a shit signing by Bournemouth. Instead of us, thankfully

Fucking hell Barry.

Shall we buy a donkey sanctuary too?

Glue factory.

1 Like

Knacker’s yard too. Complete the set.

Do you ever actually read what you write? Here’s the post I was replying to:

I have a look at his record if I were you. He went to Bournemouth on a free, good business.

I said:

And how do his stats for Bournemouth look? From 11 starts and 17 sub appearances in the Prem, four goals. In the cups, no goals. He was given a £6M signing fee and is on £65,000 a week. So great a piece of business was this that he is now on loan at Rangers.

To which you respond:

So, was the signing of Defoe good business by Bournemouth, or not? Oh, and Shane Long has the square root of fuck all to do with it - pretty poor attempt at deflection on your part, that.

5 Likes

Of course, he went on a free, a free, wages of course good business, the fact to whether it worked out or not is moot, he came from Sunderland and had a cracking couple of seasons SO getting him on a free was GOOD business.
Context.

All this does is show that your preferred strategy of signing players in their thirties is every bit as uncertain as that of signing young players. Some will come off, some won’t.

Getting Defoe on a free (if you ignore the signing-on fee) and paying him a hefty wedge might have been described as good business (or even GOOD business) if he’d scored a lot of goals. He didn’t. It wasn’t. Whether a signing works out or not isn’t irrelevant (not moot - that’s something different) - it’s the key criterion for whether said signing was good business or not. It could scarcely be more relevant.

7 Likes

You sign a player on what they’ve previously done, that is what makes you sign them, are you saying Bournemouth at the time were doing bad business?
Some moves don’t work but I am talking about a policy ie moneyball and the players we’ve signed.

But lets carry on signing players on what they may do and not what they’ve done in the hope they’re a success so we can continue, a hopeful scattergun approach that hasn’t done us favours but shit lets do it…

Signing players on what they’ve done is no more reliable and no less scattergun than signing them on what they might do. You hope they’ll be successful; they might be, they might not.

At the time that Defoe signed for Bournemouth I wouldn’t have been particularly pleased if we’d signed him and I wouldn’t have said that it was particularly good business on Bournemouth’s part (at the time, not with hindsight).

But, to return to my earlier point - any signing can only be judged as good or bad business after some time has elapsed, not at the time that it is done. I’d have thought that was blindingly obvious.

1 Like