⚽ The January transfer window thread

If we haven’t got enough money to run a club from from the tv rights and sponsorship then we’re fucking inbreds.
How much money is being taken out of the club is the question.

I strongly suggest you look at how much TV rights and sponsorship money the club gets and then compare that against player wages?

Going on this model all the club would ever “buy” would be free agents.

Dunno, look at the accounts, I suspect it’s near to 0.

What we pay for what we get back we’re getting ripped off.

Austin - £70,000 a week
Forster -£70.000 a week
Clasie - £50.000 a week (I don’t know how much we pay for him playing elsewhere)

You get the drift, this wasn’t moneyball, this was fucking shocking business.

We paid £4m for Austin and he has scored vitally important goals for us in the last couple of seasons. He is effective in a certain type of system and a certain type of game. Perhaps not so much anymore but I for one rate him as a super sub option off the bench. We’ve just not given him effective service in recent times.

The mistake with Forster was renewing terms so soon after he’d just extended them anyway. That said, I don’t think anybody could have foreseen the extent to which he capitulated both on and (seemingly) off of the pitch.

Clasie didn’t work out but hardly a huge amount of money was spent on him. The Koeman regime got plenty of other transfers right so we can forgive him Clasie.

Its the wages I’m questioning, others don’t pay near as much, we pay for shite.

And I could have sworn it was our recruitment policy not our wages policy phew

2 Likes

And you’ll find similar at any other club. All clubs buy players who don’t work out for them - and this applies to young prospects and journeymen equally.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find that we are at the lower end of the PL wage spectrum.

We did try raising wages to keep players, hence the values you quoted! We don’t, however, pay 18 year olds, who hardly get a game, £30k a week!!

We have to pay them a big wedge otherwise they would rather go to Derby.

1 Like

Barry in another “I am never happy” shock

2 Likes

Seeking perfection son seeking perfection.

Don’t know why you get so agitated @Barry-Sanchez. I think I read four posts from you without interleaving replies from other users with a general theme of how crap things are at Saints.

I have two observations. First, it’s the January transfer window. It’s not a great time to buy, and unless you’re prepared to make somebody an offer they can’t refuse, there are fewer players on the market.

Second, have you ever considered taking up a less personally distressing hobby than supporting Saints? It really doesn’t seem to sit well with you.

6 Likes

In your eyes which football club is currently the closest to perfection, and whoever you choose do you think we should emulate them?

2 Likes

This is worth a read.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11612738/the-hidden-costs-of-transfers-and-contracts-revealed

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water …

Seems eminently sensible to me. OK, so Carillo certainly looked like a useless lump, and it’s hard to imagine how could ever look like much else, his good form in Spain notwithstanding. But I can’t help feeling Boufal could have a lot to offer if he’s managed and used well - which, much like Redmond, he hadn’t been under Puel, Pellegrino or Hughes.

Yep. By virtue of the upturn in form and performance by a significant number of our players since RH arrived, I’d be happy to let him work his undoubted magic on all those currently out on loan to see if they suit him and his vision for the team. although Carillo would be harder than most to see working, i’d not be surprised if he even “got a tune” out of him.

On the cheap Ralph, King fucking Ralph, Ralph the bellend, Ralph the hockey fan, Ralph the whopper.