⚽ The January transfer window thread

Of course its moneyball, we don’t sign established premiership players in their 30’s as we see that as a waste of money, highly ironic with some of our recent signings…

Moneyball is all about not spending on par with peers.

It might have started that way, but successive regimes seem to have sanctioned us spending big on wages.

IF we’re the 19th highest spending (on wages) team in the world, we haven’t tried to do things on the cheap.

I know Bazza knows his footballing onions, but…

I immediately regret posting that. Apologies.

So for that what have we got to show for it?

Look, Barry has read a book on moneyball so it’s fucking moneyball alright?
See also: cognitive dissonance, metropolitan elite and right wing populism.

3 Likes

Very little.

I suspect that on this point you and I are in violent agreement.

My point, which goes against one of your perennial chants, is that (according to that report) we’re clearly spending the money.

Our transfer dealings have been appalling in recent years. Rash, hasty, last-minute buys that are then thrown into a squad which is ‘coached’ by very average managers whose days were numbered so they are left to fester before being sent out on loan when the next average manager proclaims them not good enough.

However, the couple of excellent signings that stick in my mind from recent years haven’t exactly broken the bank - Hojbjerg and Armstrong which, together with the wages we’re paying our squad, tells you that money can’t guarantee anything.

1 Like

They’re both shit - neither of them is anywhere near 30 yet. Anything other than recruiting journeymen in their thirties is moneyball, simple as that. How you fail to see this is beyond me.

8 Likes

You’re both forgetting one important factor when it comes to how much you spend. We’re in the richest league in the world. That comes with a big premium. Look at it like living in Kensington(non flammable parts).

1 Like

Baz will be fuming we have missed out here.

6 Likes

Hoedt deal done. Good business again

1 Like

Hoedt gone #official.
Looks like loan to end of season

Damn you Bucks!

3 Likes

Sounds like an expectation dampener to me.

2 Likes

Sounds like being sensible to me, why buy for the sake of buying?

What’s happened to Gary Cahill BTW, anyone know?

I didn’t say I disagreed with it but it just reads as though it is aimed at preparing fans for no incomings. They can probably get away with it due to the up turn in form and recent results.

Assuming we survive, I’d rather we waited and got in Ralph’s top choices for key positions in the summer.

That said, we are pretty light in attacking areas particularly those with pace and one injury to Redmond away from a bit of a pickle.

How long have we waited for Hojbjerg to settle in? He’ll play well for one season and fuck off whilst being shite for previous two, fuck that, we shouldn’t be a kindergarten for others.
Thats moneyball in essense, we do the graft, the gamble of playing them and also the patience and what do we get in return?
The board get a better summer boat…

Results have improved so they can spend on that villa now in Ibiza whilst telling the clappers its all rosy…

Thats like the designer of the Titanic selling the broken hull from the bottom of the Atlantic and saying its good for his future business…

What do the fans of watching overpriced mediocrity get for this?

The athleticism of Charlie Austin? The guile of Cedric? The heart of Redmond? The talent of Elyounoussi?

However, in your journey man scenario, what do you get.

Players takes a year to settle in, plays well for one season then retires. No money for the lcub to invest in new journeymen.