🏌 The Home of Happy Golf Stories

That was a great finish. Danny Willett back from a world of hurt. Ferocious heat and conditions, so much love and positive energy from spectators and organisers.
And a special moment this morning when Rory came over to the 2 of us who were in Paris & did media management here. He shook our hands, thanked us for this week AND Paris.
He remembered us both from there.
Damn. Forget free beer, to have a legend say that.

As my buddy Yves just.said.
“We’ll never forget 2018. We left our footprints in the golfing world.”

By special request, the Golf Thread is back.

Blame @Cobham-Saint for this :slight_smile:

As you may have noticed I had a rather enjoyable weekend doing nothing in particular back in late September in Paris.
The process to register to work as a volunteer at the next Ryder Cup in 2020 (Whistling Straits) is now open. Now the Yanks do it differently to the Europeans. They have very different roles, in fact very few volunteers (even uber God-Like types such as me) will actually get allowed to walk the course. Also they have far more back office tasks, away from the actual course itself.
In fact, well over 50% of volunteers and almost every 1st time volunteer are carted off to work in the many and massive retail outlets. Basically being an unpaid store assistant.
The shift times are different, you are only on duty for 4 hours a day, and only work for 4 days during the week.
Also, unlike Paris, you have to PAY to volunteer - $250 - which pays for your uniform / souvenir. In fairness to t hem, you do get treated much better with F&B etc than we did in Paris, also, in Italy in 2022, we will have to pay to volunteer (It is illegal to charge people to volunteer in France).
In reality in Gleneagles the cost was 250 pounds BUT you got food vouchers worth 90 pounds that you coud spend in the merchandise store and the uniform there, the waterproofs had a list cost of 150 quid even without the Ryder Cup branding.

Anyway, IF you register, the Yanks take all the names and put them into a hat and then pull out all the Americans. Well, they allow a few token foreigners in to man the retail stores.
So yes it is a way to see some golf, but it is a pretty shit event as my boss explained - Can you imagine having to sell chit to drunk “Get in the Hole men” everyday for 4 days. Not even allowed a bathroom break during your shift!

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/usa/2020-ryder-cup-volunteer-random-draw-registration-now-open?fbclid=IwAR1LZYa7mHKmA46YcPi39w77c30ztKIMwXhO7sqs3OZgXBJsW5fCYqj8Zwk

one for @Polski_Filip

Well I hope this will be a happy golf story - I have just booked me and my two brothers in to play on the Saints Charity Golf day on April 24. It cost me $1000, but as long as we get to meet a few legends and I play better than my brothers do (one plays about twice a year, and the other one about every two years…) it will be money well spent :slight_smile:

Be sure to plug Sotonians.com Smiler!