šŸ–– Star Trek returning to small screens :starfleet:

For your own good and sanity ignore her and watch it now, such a cliffhanger at the end of the 1st episode.

Canā€™t say much more without ruining it all but it is good, although Iā€™m still not over the Klingons.

And Sasha from the Walking Dead makes an excellent Commanderā€¦

1 Like

And her uniform would look great hanging on my headboardā€¦

(Which actually was a conversation we had at home - as in blimey, think this is the first time Iā€™ve ever ā€œfanciedā€ anyone called Michael)

1 Like

She definitely looks better with shorter hair, less angst in her face.

Sheā€™s tansitioned the roles well,

Netflix - brilliant.

Itā€™s in Klingon :rofl:

FUCK

ME.

I have no idea what we have all started watching.

It has all the DNA we would expect from the Star Trek Universe but Episode 3 - the true first episode is just .

Itā€™s just.

It ainā€™t Star Trek.

Itā€™s just.

Fuck, I canā€™t even think of the right adjective.

Bigger, Darker, Intenser, Gruesomer, beyond the next leveler?

We lucky few have slipped down the rabbit hole and didnā€™t even know it.

It kind of makes The Expanse seem like Red Dwarf, and no offence to either show. It makes Enterprise look like Bill & Ben, TNG look like East Enders.

I have no idea what I watched but it ainā€™t Star Trek maybe it is Star Trek Beyond at last?- Jeez it even got Mrs D_P to sit down and exclaim FUCK half way through.

They cannot possibly keep this up, surely.

And the best bit? The actual STORY was almost inconsequential, yet it showed straight away a direction they can explore without affecting any of the ā€œStar Trek Canonsā€

Wow.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just watched the third episode, and have met USS Discovery for the first time. Hands down, probably the most interesting ship ever to front a Trek show, and also very aptly named, for the show and the audience. The decision to do the normal fiction thing, and follow just one character, pays even more dividends here than it did in the two part pilot.

TNGā€™s pilot was a big exposition bomb. Hey kids! Hereā€™s the holodeck. Ooh look, we can separate the saucer section. Here are all the characters youā€™ll see each week!

On Discovery, we continue to see nearly everything from the perspective of Michael Burnham, Starfleetā€™s first mutineer, who finds herself on the eponymous starship this week. While some answers are provided, Discovery is still something of a mystery. Itā€™s a science ship focused on the war effort, and a big part of this episode involves Burnham trying to determine just what sort of stuff itā€™s involved in.

I get where @dubai_phil is coming from when he says that itā€™s not Trek, but Iā€™d disagree to an extent. This feels very much like the Dominion War in Deep Space Nine, a show that deliberately went out to break nicey nicey Trek conventions from the start. So itā€™s unusual, but so was DS9 - and I think itā€™s the ā€œTrek with conflictā€ bit that Discovery was interested in pilfering.

TNG shows the Trek world in relatively good times. Ds9 and Discovery are all about what happens when the Federation is in an existential struggle. The morally ambiguous and ruthlessly pragmatic Captain Lorca is perhaps the personification of the conflict between Federation principles and what you need to do to win a war, a theme artfully explored in this weekā€™s episode.

Just to be clear Pap.

We love this. My only complaint is that it is STILL visually a bit dark - that helped the tension when they entered the Glenn but also was difficult to make out some images.

As a show it already has 11 out of 10. As Trek it shows just what they should have done with the Kelvin reboot movies.

Characters script implications interaction and visuals are just so good.

But for me fuck that idea of a shuttle with Windows- barf! Brilliant visually but made me feel travel sick just watching it :sunglasses:

MY ONLY gripe? Why havenā€™t they booked S2 already!

A proper review by Star Trek Geeks

Contains some minor spoilers so best to read AFTER watching episode 3

I pretty much agree with it btw

1 Like

OK. Ep.3 done.

Marvellous

:lou_lol:

1 Like

:lou_facepalm_2:

Unbelievable. PC gone mad? ST have to issue an ā€œapologyā€ because they only kill off Asian womenā€¦

There will always be someone thatā€™ll be offended what ever you do, regardless of good intentions. Social meeja just gives them a disproportionate level of coverage. I suspect in this case most people were interested in the storyline and werenā€™t aware of the ā€œissueā€ even most ā€œpocā€ā€¦

1 Like

More seasons "likely

Havenā€™t done a review of episode four yet.

Iā€™ve seen a lot of people say that it wasnā€™t quite the rollercoaster the first three episodes were, and part of that is inevitable. The first three episodes were spent getting Burnham onto the Discovery. Now weā€™re here to stay, Thatā€™s not unusual; even the Expanse eventually settled their crew into a ship, and that is where we see them.

Burnham still isnā€™t liked when the episode begins, or trusted. She has uniform, but no rank. The win-at-any-cost Captain Lorca tasks her with investigating the creature he secreted off the Glenn in the previous episode. The science team are still trying to crack the secrets of the insta-travel spore drive.

There are a lot of uber-nerds losing their shit over some of the Discovery ā€œchangesā€, but I canā€™t help thinking theyā€™re going to end up having to eat their words. Two examples; the look of the Klingons and perhaps more importantly, the existence of this super travel device that would have turned Star Trek : Voyager into a padded two-parter with a lot of character moments.

Iā€™m also on record as saying that I donā€™t really care what they do with the Klingons cosmetically, as long as they fit the warrior cultured personified thing, and that the writers should just do their own thing and not pander to fans.

Thing is, after watching episode four, I think weā€™ll end up seeing human looking Klingons and the abandonment of the spore drive technology. This isnā€™t a spoiler, merely speculation, but I saw plenty in this episode that reminded me of the writers imploring the fans to have a bit of faith.

The Discovery is a special ship. With the destruction of the Glenn last week, itā€™s now pretty much a one-off, a bleeding edge science vessel cum warship that is going to use bleeding edge technology. Itā€™s a very smart move by the writers, because it allows them to sort of violate canon but then say, ā€œha! we didnā€™t really!ā€. Many of Discoveryā€™s discoveries will end up on the cutting room floor, the spore drive among them. This episode illustrated that it doesnā€™t come without a cost, and has set up a robust future ethical debate. Is the suffering of one creature justified if it helps win a war? I expect the show will get to post similar dilemmas as it comes across new things.

The albino Klingon back this week, and itā€™s his last scene that makes me think weā€™re going to see the human looking Klingons emerge, and that he may well be the first. Hope it ends up going that way. Apart from silencing the fanboys, itā€™s also another interesting dilemma to put on screen. How much will he sacrifice? ā€œEverythingā€, apparently. Telling that ā€œRemain Klingonā€ is their mantra.

Excellent episode. Not the wild ride weā€™re used to, but lively enough, and it has probably planted the seeds for bigger things.

Just watched Ep.4. Really good. No, actually really, really good.

The best thing was that it carried on from the last episode and spoiler alert, it carries on in the next episode.

Just watch it, enjoy it, thatā€™s all there is to it. Donā€™t over analyse guys.

Edit: Just about to watch the new Red Dwarf, from my perspective just as good as Star Trek, only different.

Ah, cā€™mon.

Wonā€™t it be funny if the folk screaming on YouTube about how shit Discovery is get a little comeuppance?

I was beefing with some dude on Twitter a couple of weeks ago that claimed the look of the Klingons retroactively made DS9 and TNG worse shows.

Itā€™ll be fun if the writers make good on their promises.

Fair point @pap

:lou_lol:

1 Like

Iā€™ve watched all of these so far, as i used to like older versions and you lot going on about it has got me interested(a bit).

Itā€™s ok, nothing special, but may grow. Very American(which does put me off), a bit light as far as plot goes(very American) and why is she called Michael(the biggest story in it)?

Her and the first officer seem good(the only two plausible characters so far), no one else, especially not that one she shares a room with. How the fuck did she get a job on a starship? Thatā€™s taking the ā€œfictionā€ bit too far.

Over all, i think iā€™ll generally stick to books. Flashing lights and explosions(very American) donā€™t really appeal. That said, i will give it a while(how many episodes in this series?). Itā€™s new and can evolve(itā€™s sci-fi, it can go anywhere) so happy to have this thrown back in my face if they succeed.

Sorry @pap but iā€™m still wondering if youā€™re review had more content than the last episode.

Hmm. Did you miss Jason Isaacs (Lorca) Smiler? More British than Jean Luc and more off the wall than Kirk so far? :slight_smile:

Star Trek is a TV show so it des need to come down from the ā€œcinematicā€ level of the opening story telling.

Pap hasnā€™t given anything away, itā€™s bloody obvious the Hawkings Wall or simply the ā€œdandruffā€ or electrical charges building up in the uniforms mean there is something more wrong with Spore Tech than abusing a creature.

What we have is the scene set. We are only 10 years in front of TOS after all. Watching the after show (God that bloke has an annoying voice) it seems we will be dealing with the dilemnaā€™s of the Federation that were touched on in the Kelvin Timeline ā€œInto Darknessā€ - some of the Federation are warriors/war like - and some are science and some are explorers.

I think the fact that Disco is already showing how the crew are torn by Lorca the Warrior fighting for their survival while they debate the ethics of all out war are the key here. (Kind of rammed down us with a sledge hammer in the ā€œWeaponise itā€ stuff regarding the monster)

Michael as the key character is also doing a fine job of playing a broken soul. But my only worry is that like Spock in the Pilot and first episode of TOS she is channelling that ā€œinner discordā€ into ā€œWooden Actingā€. Iā€™m not sure how long we can tolerate her simply being glum all the time. I like that she is the centre piece, but Lorca is also showing a depth of character, I hope Disco havenā€™t pinned too much on her ā€œlooksā€ and that she can actually act.

The positive point is that Mrs D_P now likes it. Doesnā€™t love it (as she did eventually with TNG DS ( & Voyager) but getting there

So Burnham stop being wooden and someone kill that git on After Trek and life in the Federation Universe will be prefect once a human has made a Klingon Pregnant (or some kind of Augmentation Side story kicks in)

Agree that Michael and Saru are decent characters, but canā€™t agree that there arenā€™t any more decent characters.

One of the things I like about Discovery are the characters. Rewatching episodes 3 and 4 with the missus last night, I was surprised at how much I felt I knew Cadet Tilly, Michaelā€™s socially awkward Jiminy Cricket room mate, and weā€™ve only seen two episodes so far.

Sheā€™s the opposite of Cadet Wesley Crusher, a character that TNG made annoyingly competent and clean cut, to great fan derision. Sheā€™s very aware of her own failings, not afraid to vocalise them and yet, thereā€™s an inner strength that makes her desire to be a captain not quite so ridiculous.