🖖 Star Trek returning to small screens :starfleet:

Some general Trekkery to report. First, it’s well worth checking out TOS or TNG on Netflix. Both series are the ones with upgraded effects. I learned that Star Trek Discovery plans to use the TOS episode Balance of Terror as a “cultural touchstone”. Not a bad choice. It’s the first appearance of the Romulans, in which Kirk plays a deadly game of cat and mouse against a cloaked Romulan prototype.

The TNG stuff is well worth checking out. Damn, you forget how well Patrick Stewart can act.

Watched a documentary by Shatner called Chaos on the Bridge, which concerns itself with TNG’s chaotic birth. A big part of the problem was trying to reconcile the mercurial Gene Roddenberry with the show he’d created. Possessed of considerably more utopian views than he held in the sixties, or sci-fi in general, one of the biggest problems was the lack of conflict between humans. There was also a heavy focus on plot, whereas post season three, the show was more concerned with characters. Still invented tons of stuff for TNG though.

My favourite Roddenberry story involves the moment he finally decided on Patrick Stewart as his captain. The network execs are freaking out. “You’re about to make a bald English guy the lead of your show”.

“Hair doesn’t matter in the 24th century”.

Apparently there was no arguing with him on those sort of points.

2 Likes

I enjoyed Chaos on the Bridge, Shatner also did a documentary interviewing all the captains of the Star Trek tv series, (can’t remember the name) which was interesting as they had all had similar downfalls in their personal relationships as a result of the show.

Edit: The documentary was called ‘The Captains’. Can’t blame me for forgetting that… :lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like
1 Like

Longer trailer here, incorporating @btripz 's one.

Good job they released the trailer months early. Will give the frothers time to get over the new look Klingons. I’m alright with them generally. My view that is that the Klingons have always been as complex as the budget allows.

I’ve never trusted the Klingons, complete lack of finance for elderly social care IMO .

2 Likes

Just showed Juvenile Unit #2 the trailer for both Star Trek and the Orville.

She liked both.

I got around to explaining the Holodeck from TNG era. The Holodeck is an interesting old thing. Show wise, it was an cheap way to go when the showrunners didn’t want to spend a lot of money on expensive spaceship battles. I’d like to be an apologist for the concept, and say that it allowed writers unconstrained creative freedoms (and there are some very good Holodeck episodes, admittedly), but I really can’t. Not today, not knowing what we know and not doing what I do.

Why is it that the first things to crash on the Holodeck are its safety protocols? Not social media notifications. Not graphics driver crashes.

Safety protocols.

Will be interesting how they portray Klingons especially after watching the DS9 episode where they go back in time & get involved in the legendary ToS Trouble with Tribbles episode & even comment on their appearance (hispanic with Goaties)

Mmm.

It’s starting to sound as if Star Trek Discovery was ruined by committee and some weird rights holding situations between CBS and Paramount.

No-one seems overly sure what universe in. They haven’t got any of the original makeup people from the old Prime series, which may explain why the Klingons look so different, and they’ve reportedly pitched the look of the show to appeal to the JJ Abrams fans.

Contrast with Orville, which pretty much nails the TNG era Star Trek look, has plenty of cast and crew from the series, including DS9’s Kasidy. I genuinely think Orville might be better received by traditional Trekkies.

Taking a busmans’ holiday from our quest to watch everything Star Trek before Discovery hits the screens, Mrs D_P discovered something on Netflix last night that we actually found cringeworthy AND interesting at the same time.

Captains. A 2011 “Documentary” by William Shatner.

Basically he flies around to have a chat with all of the Captains from the Shows & Kelvin Timeline.

It’s a bit gooey let’s face it. It also seems a bit flim flam - let’s face it - a bit of an editorial/scripting mess as he cuts from Scott Bakula to Patrick Stewart to Kate Mulgrew to sitting on a pavement with Chris Pine.

But as it gets into its depth, dear old Bill has a revelation, we learn the true human cost of what it meant to actually MAKE those shows and, it became interesting.

Some parts were painful. It comes across as if Avery Brooks has become totally barking mad, but one shocking revelation comes about when “Bill” Shatner talks about his early acting career and he was actually “discovered” doing Shakespeare appeared in a Shot in the dark with Walter Matthau & Julie Harris.

It got a bit deep with talk of Death and rememberance etc.

But actually what was “sweet” was the moment Old Bill finally accepted that despite the lack of respect he got for his acting skills, he was an actor who “changed the world”

Overall if you are a trekkie and can avoided chundering it was a REALLY interesting watch. And Patrick Stewart is still a legend

Ah ffs so this then.

And it’s gonna be on Netflix woot!

As you know we’re plodding through all things Star Trek, currently on Enterprise.

SO the failure of Enterprise - our review - Wooden Acting, Wooden Characters, that you simply can (could) not get to “empathise” with, lack of any form of chemistry between the crew.

The lighting, the lack of “conversations and personality development” walking through the corridors of the ship, and of course the stupid plot twist of the Temporal Cold War when the audience was looking for the joy and risks of exploration.

What can we determine from that teaser trailer?

A distinct Enterprise feel in the uniforms and, in a way, the images of the ships, but they seem to have sorted out the lighting thank gawd

They also went to film “location” shots in Jordan, rather than the producers’s back yard / garden, and so far imho, they seem to have found a way to stop making their actors seems “wooden” - perhaps someone is using Cinema Tech rather than a 4MP early Sony DIgital Video.

Best news? It’s gonna be on Netflix for us!

Some key comments for Pap from the panel discussion

So this means that yes, Spock has a human, adopted sister we’ve never heard about — the producers say to “stick with [them],” and that this new family dynamic will be explained in the upcoming series. “You’ll see where it’s going,” says Alex Kurtzman, “but we are staying consistent with canon.”

Alex Kurtzman continued to implore fans to stick with the series throughout its first year, promising that there will be “big reveals at several points though the course of season… a lot of surprises along the way.”

On the changes to, producer Alex Kurtzman reiterated that the production and writing team are “all huge fans of the original series and obviously want to be accurate… we are within canon. It’s a little bit larger… in scale but we are very consistent with our origins.”

Martin-Green reiterated previous comments about diversity being a central tenant of Star Trek, with Martin-Green saying that if viewers “say they love the legacy of Star Trek but don’t love [the diversity], then you’ve missed it. I encourage you to come on that journey with us.”

Producer Gretchen Berg said that the Klingon cast will be speaking Klingonese in the new series, and that “you’ll have to get out your glasses, you will be reading” – meaning lots of subtitles for the warrior race! She continued, “we’ve gone to great lengths to be accurate with our Klingon language.”

She did also go on to say that they don’t want Klingons to be portrayed as “thugs of the universe” and that the team is working to “expand the culture” of the species. “The Klingons have their own pride, interests & talents,” said Berg.

Just seen the first episode. About to watch the second.

Ooh, it’s good.

Ah ffs just posted my review on the sci fi thread.

It is better than good Pap. Some annoyances but fuck it is stunning TV

Am saving it until Friday so just shut the fuck up about it everyone.

…please.

See you Friday, Cobs. I’m sure you’ll miss us :lou_sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve done a non-spoiler review on the sci fi thread, @cobham-saint

1 Like

I read it and very good it was too @pap

Am looking forward to watching it on Friday and posting my own review - albeit a few days late, but Mrs C_S must be obeyed.

1 Like

Good grief.