šŸ–– Star Trek returning to small screens :starfleet:

And so it proves to be true.

Once Mrs C_S has finished bathing like Cleopatra in gold top and smothering herself in exotic unguents* we shall settle down for a couple of hours of catch up. This one better be good.

*No I have no idea about the bathing habits of the fair sex. A tablet of carbolic soap and a bucket of cold water in the back yard is good enough for me, twice a yearā€¦

1 Like

Cor, that was a good episode

:lou_lol:

It was, wasnā€™t it. Lots going on. As Pap said, more old star wars(i have only seen one made this century and it was really, really shit) than star trek.

How long before Lorca reappears? I would say 3* episodes, but i have no idea how many are left in this series.

*3 is considered enough(2 whole weeks) for people to sufficiently forget, so then are surprised and hail it as brilliant. Dumb people. Fun show.

3 Likes

They managed to raise the stakes more than Star Wars, even the recent one. Sure, the entire resistance can fit on the Millennium Falcon, and thatā€™s pretty bad.

Not only the whole damn universe, but all the damn universes.

2 Likes

Lots of scope to play with @pap just hope they donā€™t lose themselves trying to be too clever. Has been fast paced and fun since itā€™s return. Iā€™ve been happily surprised.

Any idea on how they will bring Lorca back?

Another parallel universe or a different time?

He is coming back isnā€™t he?

Gotta keep the 3 episode people happy and he conveniently fell into just the place to make anything possible. If the excuse for his original escape from imminent death is believable, this return from the grave will be a doddle. Iā€™m a bit torn with this one, i like the character(played very well), but another miraculous escape from death gets a bit tedious and farcical.

Iā€™m not a fucking geek like you cunts, but Iā€™ve been watching it and think itā€™s brilliant.

2 Likes

Thank you @fatso

Glad itā€™s not. Just me!

Are you including me? Iā€™m quite chuffed. Never been called a geek before. Itā€™s a novel experience(not in the want to repeat way).

Do you think Lorca returns?

If yes, how and also how soon?

I think they might be brave and wait a whole Calendar month, assuming there are enough episodes left.

IF Lorca comes back, again all the clues have been there in the series.

Blew up his old ship. Mirror Lorca arrived by transporter malfunction. The is wiggle room but donā€™ think it will go that way.

Equally After Trek implied why they went Mirror Universe in S1. Trek has always reflected current times and as Ted Sullivan said, with the rise of Nationalism Trump & Brexit subliminally we feel a connection.

Equally for the 1st time with Saruā€™s speech we saw the bridge crew coming together properly something real geeks had complained about.

I inferred that S2 will be far more true to Canon, as they lead the fight back.

The preview clip was very unusual in leaking a major plot change/return to the original dtory

Characters youā€™ve not mentioned make a big return.

In 3 episodes Mirror may be forgotten, just some lessons may be used.

But they are gonna have to find some spores somehow

1 Like

For balance. I am a fucking geek like you cunts, but I watched the first two episodes of this and thought it was shite.

3 Likes

Yes Iā€™m including you. Anyone who debates what might happen in tv programmes to the length that you lot do are geeks. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with it, I just donā€™t do it. Iā€™d rather just watch it, enjoy it and then wait for the next episode and repeat.

2 Likes

Shit.

Should have done the lottery.

Wouldnā€™ have got the jackpot butā€¦

No explosions this week, just the family coming together with science and determination.

A proper Star Trek episode.

And cannot wait until next week

1 Like

A solid episode, and Iā€™ll hear no complaints about the slower pace. Even Game of Thrones needs episodes to allow characters to process the massive shit that has just gone down, and while those episodes are all too often exposition bombs, Discovery managed to chart its course while actually doing something.

First off, Iā€™m pleased that the show, so far, has not elected to use time travel to get themselves out of a problem that time travel arguably put them into. As I said last week, Discovery already had all the elements it needed to resolve the Klingon War without having to do a Voyage Home rip-off. Donā€™t get me wrong; I love that film and have fond memories of watching it in some flea bitten cinema over on Waterside when it came out, or more likely, six months after, but I donā€™t want to see it in Discovery.

What I didnā€™t conjure was quite how those elements would be employed. Itā€™s not only a bold strategy, but it creates a lot of conflict between the Federationā€™s words and actions. Returning to Game of Thrones briefly, it seems impossible that this Trek could have existed without it. Discovery owes almost as much of its success to that show as it does its own forebears.

Discovery clearly hasnā€™t borrowed ā€œze penultimate episode is where all the shit goes downā€ motif from GoT. Thatā€™s coming next week, along with the Trekkiest of all dilemmas to contend with. Would you abandon your own values to save them?

How the fuck you managed to weave GOT and Trek Iā€™ll never know lol :lou_lol:

BTW - have just finished the last GOT book (the latest). Found it hard work and sorely disappointed in how it panned out and was left.

Teenage Mutant suggests I now watch the TV show. Fuck that, Iā€™ve invested enough time reading the books and getting the characters fixed in my head to go and undo it by watching it on TV - what goes on in my mind beats TV any day :lou_lol:

1 Like

Ok, up to date with Star Trek - that was a good episode wasnā€™t it. Slower pace was ideally placed after the last.

Looking forward to hearing about the next episode from @pap & @dubai_phil on Monday

:lou_wink_2:

Well, thatā€™s a season of a resurgent Trek, sticking its landing with a very Trek like episode. Anyone expecting the multicoloured pyrotechnics of two episodes past is going to be disappointed. Feeling very much like a GoT end of season episode, the major details are wrapped up with around ten minutes to go, allowing the Discovery to celebrate and say goodbyes to some of its crew.

We also say a hello to a very familiar thing.

Rejoice nerds, not only was Discovery not shit. It also produced the most consistently decent season of Trek, ever. And if, like me, you consider TV to be Trekā€™s real home, its really not hard to say best Trek ever without engaging in hyperbole.

Oh fuck, my brain has been frazzledā€¦

Iā€™ve thoroughly enjoyed the whole series but did find the last episode a little weak at times. Look forward to the next series.

1 Like

Thought that on first viewing. Second viewing was much better. I was expecting something much more explosive, but we got something much more Trek.

I loved the bit where Tilly realises Georgiou is the Emperor and goes to do the Terran salute.