šŸ–– Star Trek returning to small screens :starfleet:

Iā€™ve been quietly watching this new TV show along with everyone else, but decided not to make any comments until the end of the season (it is the end of the season right?). I would describe it as ā€œOKā€. Hope that helps some people who are sitting on the fence about watching it.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a season.

Itā€™s a series.

Hope that helps you @themightyostrich .

3 Likes

Thanks Bletch, I have no idea what the difference is, but was just trying to stay hip and relevant in this crazy modern world.

2 Likes

Youā€™ve just been Americanized is all @themightyostrich

A limited number of episodes of a television show may be called a miniseries or a serial or limited series. A television series is without a fixed length and are usually divided into seasons(U.S. and Canada) or series (UK), yearly or semiannual sets of new episodes. While there is no defined length, U.S. industry practice has traditionally favored longer television seasons than those of other countries.

2 Likes

So if I watch an American show via an American TV company on an American TV, should I then call it a season?

No, godammit weā€™re Birtishā€¦

Well I am, I donā€™t know about you!!

1 Like

Only if youā€™re English and post about it on an English football forum - and you value my good opinion of you.

1 Like

Thatā€™s like asking someone who rates Brewdog Punk IPA what they think about a proper beerā€¦

Or asking someone wearing a shirt that looks like a combination of rejected Primark designs, misshapen haberdashery and vomit for fashion advice.

2 Likes

So, am I just about to watch the proper end of a season or a marketing end of a season?

By season of course I mean Series!

Donā€™t fall for @saintbletch 's censorship. You can call it what you like.

He can shit his diapers on his own time.

2 Likes

So now that the season is over and @cobham-saint has seen the episode four days after the rest of Britain, probably worth reflecting on the thread and the season.

In post #1, I said that I hoped they didnā€™t darken it up too much. That hope was dashed, partially. Itā€™s definitely lit darker, although there are plot reasons and commercial reasons.

Star Trek has always been about the times of the present day, just as sci-fi in general has always been used as a stealthy way to explore contemporary issues. It shouldnā€™t be a surprise that one of the big themes of the show was the justification of authoritanism in a war setting. Weā€™ve experienced that dilemma in real life ourselves over the last couple of decades. Weā€™ve not come out as shiny as Starfleet eventually managed to. Ultimately, the season was about the Federation living up to its principles. The way it went about that was fairly remarkable.

First, the crew of the Discovery got to see the logical end of going the wrong way on the authoritarianism call, personified in Lorca and seen writ large in the Mirror Universe. They knew, more than anyone, where those tendencies would lead them.

Second, it is the most consistent season of Trek ever made. Itā€™s easily the best first season of the modern age. Every one of the 90s/2000s Trek series had a lot of ropey episodes in their first seasons, and it took a long time to warm to many of the characters, or get a sense of what the crew was collectively about. They all took three seasons to take off.

Discovery knocked it out of the park on the first time of asking, under some presumably difficult circumstances and worrying portents. The original showrunner Bryan Fuller did the offs, a bloke involved in the Trek movies _and _LOST came in to replace him. I thought at one point it might hit the skids.

What we got was a well plotted _series _which pleased most of the old fans, attracted a load of new admirers and almost to a fault, did not insult the intelligence of the audience.

1 Like

Thanks for all that @pap and the @undefined for waiting for me to catch up.

Would also like to thank family, friends, work, alcohol - yeah actually mainly alcohol.

Great series / whatever - looking forward to more

jeez Iā€™m trollied.

:lou_lol:

1 Like

Says the man craving a hooded onesie.

1 Like

Anyway, loved the first series, last episode was a bit ā€œtweeā€ for me though.

Awaiting to see what the distress call is all about.

Well we see Lorca in series 2? Probably methinks.

2 Likes

Lā€™Rell doesnā€™t scrub up too badā€¦

1 Like

And I canā€™t quite believe that Shazid Latif played both Tyler and Voq.

Who? Which one was that?

Pictures please

lol,

:lou_lol:

For you, @saintbletch .

Itā€™ll be an upgrade on the shirtwear.

I am sure I am not alone in craving that sweet, uniform tranquility.

Here you @cobham-saint