🎨 Show us ya etchings

https://twitter.com/MartinM_Media/status/1092334074910461954

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Mostafa_Khodeir/status/1093542254659158017

https://twitter.com/Mostafa_Khodeir/status/1095662929473613825

1 Like

Just reading this

And thought I’d seen a similar one in Havana in 2007 and had wondered its origin. I even commented back then on whethe it was Banksy or a copy.

So here’s my photo from the Malecon.
FB_IMG_1550623076381

We used to sit by this having a drink or two of rum with friends. Little did we know.

I used to be in a band with Jon Carter. True story.

1 Like

Today on Google search there is a illustration of a dragon by a friend of a friend, Lesley Barnes. I have a few of her pieces up in our flat.

3 Likes

I would say those might be, pencil drawings or water colour or ball point pen but they are based on an original photograph. So the question is…is incredible graphic technique, art?

Having an interest in photography I have to ask the question. Photography has had to fight to be accepted as art so should this technique have to justify itself too?

2 Likes

I’m in two minds, but on balance the “artist” in each case shows great technical drawing skill. Is mimicry truly art? I don’t think so but that’s my opinion and as fantastic as they are I wouldn’t go out of my way to purchase one.

1 Like

I agree…it’s hard to criticise great skill but for me it’s not art, it’s a highly skillful facsimilie.

2 Likes

Very much with you and the Cobster on this. Art isn’t craft or technical skill, it’s something else altogether. What makes something art is a very complex question, and has fuckall to do with personal taste - but craftsmanship isn’t the answer.

It’s much the same with music. I hereby give you a reasonably accurate sample of the sort of conversation that my ever-loving wife and I have when I play something in my car via my iPod:

E-L W: This is just noise, isn’t it? It’s not music.
Moi: It’s music, you just don’t like it. But it’s music nonetheless.
E-L W: No, it’s just a lot of noise.
Moi: All music is just a lot of noise. Whether you like it or otherwise is beside the point.
E-L W: But it’s got no tune.
Moi: Yes it has. It’s just a tune and a sound that you don’t like.
Etc., etc.

One could have the exact same discussion about art.

4 Likes

BBC weatherman Tomasz Schafernaker dabbles in this. He is very very talented.

Love this illustrator. His comedy ones are great and on sale at present. We have a little Bowie one to put up.

1 Like

Oh and I was proper spoilt last week and was given this. A Stanley Donwood screen print of 2017 Glastonbury poster. Old Stan does the art work to Radiohead and a lot of the Glastonbury stuff.
Cannot wait to get the proper print on the wall.

We went to see the Chihuly exhibition at Kew Gardens today. Stunning blown glass sculptures. I’d like to see them lit up at night.

6 Likes

My uncles have some old religious icons. May need to get them checked!

2 Likes

It was my turn to choose the calendar this year. Safe to say that as each month passes Mrs G is less enamoured with my choice.

5 Likes

I love Richard Dadd…immerse yourself in this masterpiece…

3 Likes