šŸ—£ :engerland: Should English be spoken in England?

Serious question, how can you do your job and interact with the locals if you donā€™t speak their language?

For me, personally, I wouldnā€™t go to work in another country without getting a basic understanding of the language of that country. I try and learn the basics for going on holiday as well.

5 Likes

That is a fair question, but the the thread simply stated should English be spoken in England? without really any qualifying criteria about whether this was for work or simply to live here with relatives, or just visiting as a touristā€¦ it was intended i guess to be ā€˜controversialā€™ - and ā€˜edgyā€™ā€¦ but is really just a bit of an ambiguous and poorly thought out question

If working in a country, then it is obviously an huge advantage to be be able to to communicate effectively with colleagues and co-workers, but not essential, if practises and responsibilities, H+S legislation etc, are provided in translated form - which is often safer and more comprehensive anywayā€¦ My point was simple, language on ā€˜entryā€™ should not be a barrier. Sure if you then want to go on and progress, chances are you will learn it quickly, but it should never stop you entering a country or prevent you from an opportunity

3 Likes

You REALLY want an old fashioned Dubai_Phil post in answer to that?
SRSLY?
From someone who after 10 years drinking it still cannot pronounce the name of his favourite Vodka?

I think everyone can agree that we would like to live in an integrated tolerant society where everyone gets along. Not sure how possible this is if people canā€™t communicate

1 Like

You can communicate effectively with anyone through translation and interpretation. These are the tools of international trade and business ā€¦, and how society and eventually culture and language have always evolvedā€¦ Rosetta Stone anyone?

Never seen any Tarantino movies?

This is fucking lunacy. I am unsurprised to see you sticking your oar in though.

Thatā€™s how I know itā€™s true lunacy.

Hello Helmut Iā€™m your neighbour welcome to the street

What? You donā€™t understand

No worries Iā€™ve got the Rosetta Stone at home, I will drop by again in 3 months to ask you where the supermarket is

1 Like

Fuck no, we have some pride.

4 Likes

Uhmā€¦ way I see it is very simpleā€¦ all of us act like cunts now and again, but not all of us are actually full on cunts. However, one characteristic of full on cunts tends to be that they always focus in problemsā€¦ pointing out challenges and difficulties (think about the shit spread by the BNP and EDF etc), as opposed to recognising the value in something and seeing solutions to the challenges so that value can be realised or integrated.

(Not suggesting you are a full on cunt by the way- but its why we should be careful with supporting the ideas of those that are)

Thank fuck people communicated before we actually had languagesā€¦ as its how our society evolved, its how we learned new skills from neighbouring tribes, how we ensured we didnā€™t end up a bunch on inbred cunts (although that is sometimes debatable)ā€¦

Hello Helmut Iā€™m your neighbour, welcome
please accept this food, shelter, / extend handā€¦ smile eg communicate welcome -its really not that difficult as anyone who bothers to try a few foreign words on holiday will recogniseā€¦ unless you insist they speak Englishā€¦

And you welcome discussion on a web forum? Stop being an obnoxious twat

(before Pap pretends he is holier than though and suggest we take it to ā€˜beefā€™)

1 Like

Rules out most of the North East

5 Likes

The problem this government have is having to balance two sets of voters now. Their new found voters from the north of England, the vast majority of whom had one overriding reason for voting Brexit, ie,sending back immigrants who are over here ā€œtaking our jobsā€, and saw Johnson as ā€˜one of usā€™. Likewise the Football Lads Alliance- English Defence League tattooed chimps, who not only saw Johnson as 'one of us, they have actually joined the Conservative Party in their thousands since the election, some of them will be co-opting themselves onto committees and helping to formulate party policy as we speak. Then on the other side of the scales we have the traditional Tory voters from the shires and the south of England. Where are they going to find their cheap au pairs, cleaners, gardeners etc? Will the new found voters from northern towns, many of whom are unemployed and voted Brexit to ā€œchuck the immigrants out and stop them taking our jobsā€ be rushing to take the low paid work currently undertaken by immigrants, caring for the elderly and sick, wiping bottoms, picking fruit and vegetables for the minimum wage? Will they fuck!

If the government really wanted to tackle inequality and the problem of poverty pay topped up by benefits they would do something about zero hour contracts, not this dog whistle racist nonsense. The society this vile Tory government are trying to build is based on class war practised by the few against the many. From about 1945 to 1979, Britain tried to create a decent, humane society. Now it is all being torn apart. The fight will have to be won again, it all has to be done over again. Sadly though, before that is possible, a few million people have to come to understand just what an inhumane, vile regime we now live under.

6 Likes

Most go to their respective ā€œBritishā€ communities who exploit them, Iā€™d fuck them off for being terrible employers.

Iā€™m worried about the supply and demand of cleaners now - it seems that Iā€™m likely to see an increase in the amount I pay my English cleaner.

Supply and demand. I believe Iā€™ve mentioned it before, yes :smiley:

Oh, youā€™ve certainly mentioned it. Myself and Map have spent many a day face-palming over it.

Is that what it was?

Looked more like the soggy biscuit game to me.

But at least sheā€™ll understand you when you berate her for not cleaning your silver properly.

2 Likes

So we are boiling down Brexit to ā€œI might have to bung my cleaner a couple of quid more a weekā€

There are some options here

1 Pay up
2 Reacquaint yourself with the hoover

In any case decent trustworthy cleaners are worth their weight in gold - underpay them and you deserve to lose them

1 Like

Ā£10 an hour after tax is about right.