📸 Serious Photography Hobbyists?

Shuffling through some old images this morning I found this. A grab-shot of tourists being propositioned in Tunis in 2009.
“Hey lady, I have feeeeelthy postcards of men too”. :lou_lol:

2 Likes

Is it Charlie Austin or Chris Hemsworth?? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I’m not at all a serious photo hobbyist but this is a picture.

The Portuguese take on room 101

2 Likes

Hey @Saint-or-sinner thought this is the right place to talk about Photo-editing software if you want to get into making pictures and getting the best out of your camera now you have some good kit.

Most cameras come bundled with some simple editing software which is always pretty rudimentary. Nothing wrong with it if your aim is no higher than taking the odd snapshot, but hey, you’re now a serious photographer. So what software does the Pro and the aspiring amateur use? Easy…Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe Lightroom.
So which one for you, again easy, Adobe Lightroom…it’s the Photographer’s go-to.

What about Adobe Photoshop? I hear you say. “Photoshop” has entered the Internet dictionary over the last 30 years as the ubiquitous software to mess with pictures…it’s the “Industry Standard” Yep it is but it’s the “Industry Standard” because it does absolutely everything, processing the image from camera to hard copy publication. All things to all men in publishing for anything that uses pictures…you don’t need that. To buy Adobe Photoshop it will cost a lot and most of it you’ll never use.

Adobe Lightroom is a cut-down version of Photoshop eliminating a lot of the Forster/Hoedt/Cedric you don’t need and as we all know cutting out a lot of the expense too. Here it is: https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

If you want to go this route buy a monthly plan, i.e. about a tenner a month that allows you to carry it on your Desktop, Laptop and Smartphone. This means rather than buying singly you get the latest version, all the upgrades, all the tutorials, 1tb of Cloud storage and all the support for a tenner a month.

1 Like

Cheers for the advice and will follow your suggestions(eventually). I’m taking it slow at the moment(will need a new laptop before anything else). Haven’t played around with cameras full box of tricks yet as i want to learn a bit about myself(with camera) first. You know, what i like to picture, light and basic settings.
I do seem to favour nature and close up at the moment. Going fishing for the whole weekend, so hopefully get some good practice whilst also learning some more.
My phone comes preloaded with Image Edge Mobil, so can put everything on phone no matter where i am instantly(if I get any Kingfishers you’ll know within seconds :grin:).
Best start looking for that laptop soon(don’t want a pc), so any advice on requirements/screen type would be appreciated.

1 Like

Cruises aren’t for everyone I’ll admit but my good lady finds them a blessing, a regular change of scenery without a large expenditure of energy when 40 years of MS are beginning to take their toll. It also means I can find interesting locations for the occasional snap.
Jerez, Spain.

6 Likes

They’re all excellent, but the middle one in particular is just brilliant.

2 Likes

Thanks…you have to think maybe 5 is the magic number in street photography. Not that you can make it happen but all three pictures have that element about them…odd…literally. :lou_wink_2:

3 Likes

Stunning as always… need you to help with those settings to get those levels of shadow and highlight/ saturation etc- been messing but can’t nail it

The reflection of the man looking at you all is really cool

Sometimes I’m surprised at the colour bias my Sony A7 gives in quite normal settings. I don’t usually make any on camera adjustments. These seascapes were taken around 9am on a warm slightly misty morning, shooting into the sunlight. They have an orange bias which makes a warmer picture than there was in reality. I process the pictures in “Camera Raw” to extend the tonal range between the highlights and shadow and these were the results…La Spezia, Italy.

4 Likes

Beautiful - will need to set to RAW an see what I can do

There’s lots of info on processing a raw image on the web…this is just one of them…

1 Like

Sometimes colour works better with subject that suggest black and white…Portovenere, Italy.

1 Like

It’s €25 for a wank, €50 for a blowjob and €100 for sex. What do you mean you just want me to sit on a rock and take pictures of me? Ok, €20.

1 Like

Don’t cheapen my work…I’M AN ARTIST!*

• I paid €25
2 Likes

Revisited this roadside barn this morning…looks timeless in black and white.

2 Likes

Great photo. Looks like it could have been taken somewhere in the USA.

Candidates could include: Bum Fuck, Missouri; Good Grief, Idaho; Sweet Lips, Tennessee; Hump Tulips, Washington; Booger Hole, West Virginia or Pee Pee, Ohio (one of these isn’t a real place btw :wink:)

I’ve been to a few of those places. :lou_lol: My favourites are Truth and Consequences, New Mexico and Burma Shave, Tennessee,

So much hot air on here I am sure many of you have been to Middelfart, Denmark

3 Likes