šŸ“ø Serious Photography Hobbyists?

And the side streets are usually where you find the hidden gems like bars and cafes used mainly by the locals - at half the price of those round the corner which are more touristy.

1 Like

Exactlyā€¦this was taken in a quiet Tapas Bar in the old town in La Corunnaā€¦very cheap.

4 Likes

Beautiful shot.
I want to get better at Portrait and studies such as thisā€¦ great stuff LITSL please post some more :blush:

1 Like

Love the reflections on the cars - works really well to add an almost illustration like feel to itā€¦ cracking

2 Likes

Digital photography has revitalised my love for photography and cruising makes it easy to tick off a lot of locations you should have been but never got around to. My wife says, you only go because it provides you with more ā€œphoto opportunitiesā€ which I denyā€¦but she knows me too well.
Digital also means that you donā€™t have to decide between colour or black and white before setting outā€¦you can have either or both, the digital process means you make the choice later.
My first love is black and white but sometimes colour works better. People view black and white pictures differently, they notice form and texture more IMO than in colour picturesā€¦well I do anyway. Hereā€™s a few more for you @Map-Of-Tasmania.

6 Likes

LLS and Map of Tasmania, your photography is seriously good. That Tapas bar portrait is lovely.

1 Like

I am not in Slowys league , wanted to tap him up for advice and tipsā€¦ the bike snap was just an iPhone job when out riding as I though the character of the building was cool and summed up the part of France we were in

I want to get much better at portraits and as Slowy does really capture a moment in those folks livesā€¦

1 Like

Thank you for the compliments, itā€™s always nice if people like what you do. With photography people will always tell you if they like it but keep quiet if they donā€™t. Thatā€™s probably because everyone takes pictures these days and they now understand the failure rate.

Digital photography has taken selectivity out of the equation, people just click away knowing thereā€™s space for another 1000 shots on the card and the crap is easily deletedā€¦I do it too.

I love street photography but never engage with the subjectā€¦all the pictures Iā€™ve posted here are candidā€¦you could never hope to organise any of those pictures, they just happen and itā€™s up to you to decide what is the decisive moment to click the shutter.

It all sounds very arty/farty but in reality it isnā€™t, itā€™s just intuitive. This is a favourite of mine, taken with my little point ā€˜nā€™ shoot Sony RX100 in Winchester. You select ā€œthe decisive momentā€ itā€™s the only thing to concentrate on.

4 Likes

Love thatā€¦ like lots of little intimate scenesā€¦ its like its alive - with lots going on - even the waiter and the couple inside have a story.

Great stuff!

Iā€™m pleased you noticed the waiter because thatā€™s the only bit of luck in the whole sceneā€¦I didnā€™t notice him until I reviewed the picture. All the external elements were what I saw as ā€œthe decisive momentā€ā€¦you get a tingle when the brain recognises it and you click the shutter. :lou_lol:

1 Like

The interactions are that complex that it actually looks posed - right down to the dogs.

Great shot.

Yep thatā€™s the only part you couldnā€™t poseā€¦the dogs. There is however one element that wouldnā€™t co-operate and I remember waiting for it to resolve but all the other elements came into line and I knew I had to click. If you look at the woman standing in the street with her dog on the lead, she is standing in front of a chap in a dark overcoat. TBH if she had moved a bit I think it would probably fucked up the whole picture. :lou_lol:

2 Likes

Just finished watching this documentary on iPlayer about Don McCullinā€¦fantastic photographer, a very human human-being.

Don McCullin: Looking for England

Thanks for posting John. Really enjoyed that!

1 Like

His years as a ā€œWar Photographerā€ took a heavy toll on his mental health in the '70s but itā€™s really good to see heā€™s enjoying his later years. An amazingly a nimble and sociable 83 year old. :lou_lol:

I hadnā€™t noticed this thread before - hereā€™s a couple of mine from last summer

7 Likes

Thatā€™s a cracking pic

Love your wildlife shots Pete but I donā€™t have the patience to shoot them myself.
That bee shot is fantastic, takes on almost an abstract airā€¦must have a pretty good macro lens for that.

My brother-in-law has taken up Nature photography in the last 5 years and has come on in leaps and boundsā€¦jealous of his array of lenses, he shoots mostly birds. I think he would have been chuffed if heā€™d taken that shot of the Owlā€¦cracker. :lou_lol:

Post some moreā€¦I love pictures.

Have I shared this before? Quite proud of the timing myself.

Love the reaction time of the redhead by the pushchair.

3 Likes

Thank you, hereā€™s a few random ones, White Tiger, African Tree Python, Gannet on the Yorkshire coast, Glass House Mountains in Oz and 2 experiments with wirewool, an egg whisk and a battery. The Macro lens is an elderly Nikon 105mm F2.8 Macro

7 Likes