Saints vs Swans season opener match thread

Not keen then?

2 Likes

We have a goal scoring problem because we clearly do not have really good strikers, who despite receiving a hat full of chances couldnā€™t hit a cowā€™s arse with a banjo. Surely after today that is blindingly obvious. Letā€™s face it, today was just a continuation of last season, total dominance, loads of chances created but no goals. I agree we played really well, looked superb going forward but the end product was shite. Just like last season, how many goals did we score at home last year? Today we were up against a really poor side, absolutely battered them from the first whistle to the last but nothing to show for it. It simply is not good enough, how much longer can the excuse of, ā€˜we were really unluckyā€™ be acceptable? The way we played today we should have won that game 5 or 6 nil. Our so called strikers were shown up to be the inadequates they are. Surely it must be time to give these overpaid prima donnas a kick up the arse, give Sam Gallagher a game, he was on fire last season and would be desperate to show what he could do. Has to be a better option than Tadic, who is quite frankly a joke, utterly useless, spends most of his energy throwing himself to the ground everytime a defender comes near to him, then bowing and scraping to the ref with his hands in prayer. Get rid, he is a tool who is not worthy of pulling on the Southampton shirt.

Some people are easily pleased.

To be honest, no. Apart from Tadic constantly looking to get himself into a situation with a defender where he can throw himself dramatically to the ground, ie, attempting to gain an advantage by cheating,(letā€™s call it what it is), yes i know they all do it sometimes, but Dusan is in a league of his own. That is just about all his game consists of. When one of our players goes rolling over and over under an innocuous challenge, then lays there writhing, beating the ground in fake agony, you donā€™t even have to look to see who it is do you? It is always Tadic. As i have said before, i find it embarrassing, especially when watching the game in company with others. Ironically in his first season i was a big supporter, he looked really good and was wowing the pundits left right and centre. But he hasnā€™t really kicked on. Now, sadly, he is in danger of becoming a cross that Southampton FC have to bear. Get rid.

That Tadic lad played well.

3 Likes

Iā€™m confused, are you suggesting that I am easily pleased? I said that we played really well (which you yourself said only a few posts ago), made lots of chances (you said that too) and that we couldnā€™t score (again, like you said). The main difference in our posts is that I suggested the wall of 10 men in our way made scoring much more challenging, whereas you went down the line of our players* are inaccurate while shooting. I canā€™t argue with you that our players* need some extra work on being able to shoot on target far more regularly than they do, but hopefully you can also agree that Swansea did little but get bodies in the way of the goal.

For what it is worth, I am in the same camp as you with Redmond, I just donā€™t voice it as vehemently as you have. I would place Boufal at the top of my waste of space list though.

I finished off by suggesting that I feel positive for the season based on what I saw today (especially compared to what we endured for much of last season), but that doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m pleased with the final score. I would say Iā€™m disappointed with that all things considered, I just donā€™t feel it necessary to write the whole season off based on one game. If by the time we have got through our opening ā€œeasyā€ run of games we still only have one or two points and no goals to our name, I am sure Iā€™ll be smashing that panic button with you.

*strikers changed to players to sycophantically appease commenters below!!

3 Likes

We play with 1 striker not with strikerS

The issue is not with Gabbi (although his confidence is not where it was in February)

The issue is that our 5 man midfield & (Bertrand) create so many chances FOR EACH OTHER.

Watching JWPs pathetic hop to try get on a cross in the 1st half summed it up. All creativity no COMPOSURE.

The system is fine, the players are fine but we all know JWP doesnā€™t yet score for fun or Davis let alone Tadicffs & Redders.

What COULD help is if the midfield gave the ball to a striker.

It has been this way since we got back to the EPL but very few 10 goal a season MF players around these days.

I was frustrated but happy yesterday we looked like a football team again.

I also thank fook Iā€™m not a Swansea fan. They looked awful and should have been hammered.

Clinical is what we need now from our creative players.

And giving the ball to Gabbi in space would help

5 Likes

Next question.

Betrand went off late on and McQueen came on.

Betrand went straight down the tunnel

Was it a knock? - Looked like it from his reaction as he came off.

#worrying if he is out as our left hand side looked so good going forwards yesterday

1 Like

From Fiverweb

Tadic - 16 goals in last 122 games
Redmond - 21 goals in last 174 games
Boufal - 2 goals in 26 saints games
JWP - 8 goals in 173 games
Davis - 11 goals in 196 saints games

And THAT is our problem, not our strikers

3 Likes

I think it was a pull/strain, but hopefully no more than a knock. Said to my daughter something was wrong with him, as he came over to the sideline and talked to MP and his assistant. A couple of minutes later he was subbed.

2 Likes

Im sure I saw him limping down the tunnel

2 Likes

Yep Bert was injured.

1 Like

Just heard Clattenburg on talksport say we should have had 2 penalties! Quickly swept under the carpet by host

1 Like

A former Liverpool ā€˜legendā€™ no doubt

2 Likes

I agree with Phil, most chances are created and fall to the wrong men. If the Bertrand cut back to Tadic fell to Gabbiadini then it is probably 1-0. If the Yoshida header fell toā€¦ somebody else(?) then it is 1-0. That was a poor one however you look at it. In an ideal world the opportunities would always fall to Gabbiadini and Austin, who would score more than they miss. Sadly it doesnā€™t work that way.

Whilst we didnā€™t score again I didnā€™t see much in the way of comparison to last season. There was energy and intensity. So for that reason I am confident that the goals will come. I also think Lemina will help in so far as he appears to be direct and will bring the ball forward at pace, committing men as he does so. At the moment there are too many ā€˜passersā€™ in the midfield and not enough runners or people prepared and capable of putting their foot through it.

That said, I am losing patience with Tadic a little. Not just yesterday but in general. I did express this view towards the end of last season. Somebody with his ability and plays in that advanced role should get you 10 goals a season but he averages 3, 4 or 5. If he isnā€™t creating chances either then there is no point him being on the pitch.

Pellegrino said in his press conference that he wanted more players so with any luck he will get them. The need is to improve the starting eleven rather than adding more youngsters to the squad. There are still a couple of weeks left in the transfer window and lets not forget that Mane, Alderweireld, VVD (I think) and Gabbiadini all arrived on deadline day. So thereā€™s still time for us to add a couple more pieces to the jigsaw puzzle. And I donā€™t believe we are too far away.

4 Likes

As you all know, Barasti is our ā€œHomeā€. It is currently in ā€œStupid burning fooking hot modeā€ so the main outdoor bar is covered by a huge ā€œTentā€.

So firstly their summer promotion is based on ā€œThe Lost Worldā€ which led to lots of Eric & Phil Dinosaur jokes and the previously mentioned Laura Croft look-a-likes

Secondly we arrived early for the Saints game but of course the bin dippers were in full swing and although Barasti is our offical ā€œhomeā€ we do share everywhere EXCEPT the Franny Benali Stand" with other fans - so there was a busy bar and a few sad shirter scousers.

And to the GREAT delight, when Watford equalised the ENTIRE Pub burst into Laughter! It was wonderful.

Anyway we were joined by two lads over from Southampton and EVEN had two sightings of THE NEW SHIRT!

Equally with 4 of our krew at SMS (and two at Weddings) we did actually get a bloody good turn out - Mrs D_P took this snap as the ball went out to Tadicffs hence why we are all so animatedā€¦

And yes, the Chelsea Watford game was on behind us, yes we did laugh at that as well.

And yes, of course the price of a pint has gone up a QUID in the 80 odd days weā€™ve been away. But it was GREAT to finally get the band back together!

6 Likes

ā€˜Frustrated Tadic urges Saints to be more clinicalā€™ :astonished:

Next week Richard Hammond implores unsafe drivers to be more careful behind the wheel.

8 Likes

I have been for ages. Itā€™s not like heā€™s not talented, he just seems to have gone stale.

Heā€™s a strange one for sure, any other player on such a long run of poor form would have had the crowd on their back within a month but Tadic is a fan favourite and gets away with a lot despite, on the whole, being pretty underwheming for a while now ā€¦ it must be his childlike charisma. or maybe because theyā€™ve got that sort of ā€˜songā€™* they like to ā€˜singā€™ about him,

Personally I reckon heā€™ll come good again this season now Puel has gone ā€¦ Heā€™d better, he owes us 20 goals ā€¦10 for this season and 10 for the last one :lou_lol:

* can ā€œoh o ā€¦ oh o ā€¦ Du-san Ta-dicā€ on repeat, be considered a song ?

1 Like

Tadic missed a sitter early in the first half and another good chance in the second. That said, apart from his pathetic falling over as though heā€™s been shot histrionics, I thought he was better than he was for most of last season.

Iā€™d still drop him and play Boufal though :lou_wink_2:

6 Likes

Canā€™t argue with that. I thought Tadic had a good game yesterday. Yes, he missed an early sitter, but he was fouled on the edge of the box in the first half (could have been a penalty, or a free kick in a pretty dangerous position), and his shot in the second half required a good save from Fabianski. He was highly involved, put in a shift and had a lot of good moments.

Canā€™t help feeling that thereā€™s a tendency for people to look for the negatives when they watch him (same goes for Redmond, for that matter) and conveniently miss anything positive. Confirmation bias or whatever itā€™s called.

6 Likes