Saints vs Swans season opener match thread

Excellent. .Chelski lost, so today isnt too bad

:lou_lol:

How many #westandtogether #wemarchon pictures will be sent out over the week in the media,#fuckoff #shovemodernfootballupyourarse #soulesscunts #behonest #goingbackwards #tomediocrityandbeyond

1 Like

In good news we have moved up the table to 8th

Give it a rest Baz.

It’s the first game of the season for fucks sake…

12 Likes

Why does a first game mean anything? they had 82 days to play? Utter shite and drivel.

On the positive side.

Clean sheet for Forster

3 Likes

The Ref should be sent on a refresher course after some of those judgements. Loved the football. Thought a lot of the players that showed a lack of interest (Tadic, Bertrand and Cedric) last season looked keen and played well, as did the rest of the team. A lot more positive in play and hopefully we’ll find the back of the net soon. I can see why peeps are frustrated by the draw but don’t think it can be added to the low at the end of last season. Many on sweb and a few are doing so and I think it is adding to their disappointment and causining a bit of an over reaction to the first game of the season.

For some reason this game reminded me how frustrating Pelle could be.

4 Likes

Just stop being a confrontational dick of a little man will you.

I enjoyed the game despite the result. I sometimes wonder if you actually support the team, from your post I’d suggest not

Constructive criticism is good. Try it, you might like it.

7 Likes

I thought that was a significant improvement on last season.

We looked more attacking, the central pairing looked solid and rather than under Claude, we actually look like we could score at any moment.

A bit less of the fancy flicks and a bit more end product and we should be okay this season.

The ref’s use of cards was most odd.

5 Likes

Played well. Not sure why we have a goal scoring problem we have really good strikers who are getting the chances. Strange. Oh well on to West Ham.

3 Likes

Jeez, I swear if we ever won a trophy you’d be there slagging off the team for going up the steps to collect the cup and their medals in the wrong order.

Is there ANYTHING in football you like? :lou_facepalm_2:

8 Likes

Dominant possession.

20+ shots on goal, 2 on target. Puel out. What? Oh?

Thought we played really well for the first game of the season.

Pressed well as a team, should have had a.pen, maybe two.

Tadic again gets 90 mins but doesn’t pay back the manager’s faith with a goal or an assist.

Better than a loss, but the goal drought continues.

3 Likes

Not sure what is worse. The continuing home goal draught or Barry’s inevitable post match tantrums.

2 Likes

Agree it was definitely brighter than the end of last season. Tadic, Boufal. Cedric much more up for it. Hard to think of anyone who was poor.

Frustrating but our opening day record is terrible and I think things will improve based on this display.

4 Likes

Fuck me some people love to overreact during/after the first game of the season. Some of the texts in to Radio Solent and comments I’ve seen on FB would make you think we are already relegated with no hope of escape! There is one miserable cunt that sits a couple of rows behind me every season and just sits there hurling abuse at the players and moaning loudly for the whole bloody game. Every game. Sometimes he starts it before we’ve even kicked off.

Why do people bother going/supporting/following a football team if all they’re going to do is piss and moan, say it’s all shit and everyone is useless? They are clearly not enjoying it so piss off and leave me to enjoy the team I love in (relative) peace! By all means go to the game, but support the bloody team while you’re there! Save your moaning and shouting abuse for appropriate moments in the game or when nobody else can hear it or vent on a forum like this where I can scroll past your post if I don’t agree with it.

Now the rant is over… On the actual game, considering the players on the pitch today were the same players as we saw at the end of last season, that was a totally different team! I thought we looked promising for the season, much more enjoyable to watch, less afraid of attacking and taking shots (even if a lot were off the mark). They looked like they were enjoying themselves a bit more.

The difficulty with the shooting was largely caused by their defensive line of 6 to 10 players at a time getting in the bloody way! Swansea defended very solidly and didn’t give us much time to settle to take the shots. Yoshi and Stephens looked solid when called upon and Forster came of his line to claim some balls! Didn’t see the Tadic pen shout as was looking the wrong way, but not suprused it wasnt given - boy who cried wolf syndrome there with the way he throws himself around.

Officiating was not great today either. At one point infront of where I sit the lino gave a throw against Swansea and Olsson loudly suggested that the lino should fuck off and nothing was done about it, not even a talking to. Have they already scrapped the rules about player conduct towards officials??

Overall, feeling pretty positive about the upcoming season. Don’t think we’re going to smash records and set the world on fire, but it’s going to be a darn sight more enjoyable than last season.

12 Likes

I thought we played pretty well. Hard to pick out anyone who had a mare.

Yeah it was 0-0 and 2 points dropped but there is a fucking world of difference between supporting Saints and supporting Swansea this season. We’ll be good. Swansea will be battling relegation.

On a personal note, I’m loving my new seat. Block 2 is proper lairy! Stood for the whole game and it’s nice and loud. Bazza, it’s like footy used to be so stop whining from a distance!

Kid Goat also went today and is now officially hooked :lou_smiley: Now that is a fucking result.

12 Likes

Brilliant post, and I too have often wondered why it is that people are so keen on shelling out a pretty hefty sum of money and time on something that apparently brings them no joy. But it’s always been that way, or so it seems to me. I can remember exactly the same crap thirty-odd years ago - and if you moaned at the football we played back then you needed your head seeing to. I can still hear the cries of “Bring on Hebberd!”, this being back in the days of a single substitute, and Trevor Hebberd, largely by dint if his versatility, was pretty mich always the sub for several seasons. And, if Hebberd was indeed brought on, the cries to bring him on would swiftly be superceded by ones telling him how shit he was. No pleasing some people, which is apparently exactly what Jesus said.

I enjoyed the game today - we should have won by a country mile but didn’t. If we’d scored any one of the mass of chances we created, I reckon Swansea would have crumbled and we’d have scored a shed load. I think your point on the sheer numbers that Swansea had back in defence is a good one; they showed little interest in attacking, an even less so when Abraham was replaced by a central defender. By the end I think they had a six-man defence. Or maybe it was seven. If Swanswea play that way frequently they’ll lose relatively few and win none.

We’ll be fine and more I reckon. Played a lot of really good football today, but just couldn’t score. We’ll score plenty this season.

9 Likes

It was Yeovil Town v Accrington for me today :slight_frown: Saintswatch though … Olomola scored two and looked really sharp. The Glovers really rate him.

8 Likes

Good watch in the first half though? I love going to watch football. I go and watch Carlisle & Annan up here on a regular basis, oh and Ajax every now and then. :wink:

It was a good game but so frustrating. Our football looked really good, lets face it we spanked them. But no goals, Twenty odd attempts but only two on target. We should have been out of sight at half time. But the same old story, It is all so predictable, Redmond, let’s face it couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with shovel, so why does he insist on shooting several yards wide when Gabbiadini is waiting in front of goal for the pass. Selfish. I really do fear if we cannot beat Swansea at home when we were so dominant, there is nothing down for us this season. And Tadic is a waste of good oxygen. For all the pre season talk about the Arsenal etc being interested in him it is blindingly obvious that having studied his capabilities,(or lack of them), they have come to the same conclusion as the rest of us, he is a liability, fucking useless. A classic example of someone who flatters to deceive. And all this bowing in front of the referee with his hands in prayer when he gets caught out cheating is fucking embarrassing to be honest, it’s just not the Southampton way. Get shot of him, he is a waste of space, he is a luxury we can’t afford. And get a striker in FFS. We should have had a hat full today,

1 Like