:saints: Saints v Man City :mancityfc: (PL)

Very much a second string performance by a second string team.

Was Hojpoj’s tackle that much worse than Kompany’s?

The “fans” (and I use the term loosely) around me today emphasised why I don’t go to the football anymore. Supporters they ain’t!!

City are a very good team but we let them be very good.

2 Likes

It would be a red card every game if that was the standard.

1 Like

Confused :man_shrugging: should Kompany have been shown a :redcard: as well?

I think January window players will go but hardly any players in

1 Like

No, definitely not. He plays for one of the rich teams.
The murdoch press would have destroyed the refs career. Job depends on it and all that.

3 Likes

Ah so you’re saying Kompany’s was a harsh :yellowcard: and will be overturned on appeal

Can’t appeal yellows, as far as i know, so no.
The refs will be sent a memo, reminding them of how many he’s now got, with a little p.s to go easy.

4 Likes

Only good thing he did all game.

If Hojbjerg’s was a red then Kompany’s should have been a red. The ref was weak as shit. sent Pierre off coz Pep whinged like a fucking great baby. Linesman was a massively blind cunt too.

2 Likes

Would much rather have Boufal than Elyounoussi.

2 Likes
5 Likes

He looked rather clueless today didn’t he.

1 Like

Bit harsh. He played a beautiful ball to Austin, whose first touch let him down badly. If Charlie had got that right it would have been a goal. But other than that he was pretty anonymous really. And I agree with you about Boufal. He clearly fell out with Hughes, but with the right manager he could be one hell of a player. If Ralph is that right manager then we should get Boufal back pronto (always assuming that we can).

Contrary to some others, I don’t think that we played badly today, or that our players disgraced themselves. We were in it up until their third goal, after which the game was pretty much gone. After that (for which read the entire second half) we had to prevent them from running away with the game, and try to pick up scraps on the break. We came close on a few occasions, they came closer on more. They’re Manchester City - what did anyone actually expect? A team that can put Leroy Sane on the bench is probably going to be reasonably decent. Did we roll over? We didn’t. Could we have done? Most certainly.

And yes, we had the worse of the refereeing - but that just tends to happen when you play one of the big teams. No collusion about this, just that referees are more likely to be swayed by the big teams and big personalities. Plenty of examples from today’s game, some of which made a real difference - most notably the penalty not given at 1-1. That said, I was genuinely surprised that no penalty was given for Valery’s tackle on Sterling - it wasn’t one, but I’ve seen them given for as little or less.

6 Likes

There’s a good comment on that tweet - after he’d taken Elyounoussi out, Kompany rolled around like he was seriously hurt. But once he’d been given a yellow card, off he trotted.

Incidentally, Kompany committed a foul for which he should have been booked in the first half - a very deliberate foul to stop play when he was beaten. If he’d been booked then, it could certainly have affected his play for the rest of the game.

4 Likes

Watching MOTD2 How the fvck did Young not get a red? Identical challenge to PEH?

Defo penalty to us per MOTD2. Not a surprise but still fucking annoying

Well others have said most of this but I wanted to get my thoughts in order.

I find myself making excuses for Hutch that I wouldn’t have made for Hughes (or others) - trading off my massive disappointment with the level of performance and lack of pressure on the ball against Hutch’s stated aims of looking at the squad and giving the youth a chance.

On balance Hutch gets a pass from me. He says that, ahead of January, he’s keen to give chances to players that have only had to impress him in the low pressure setting of Staplewood (suggests we’ll be doing some business in January - if only players leaving).

That said, I don’t know what has happened to that pressing game we saw against Arsenal. And why isn’t Hutch going mental from the sidelines and ripping the players after the game for not implementing the pressing game he’s so famed for?

As I’m still mid-love-in with Hutch, I’ve decided that he feels he can’t push the players too hard over the Xmas fixture period and instead he is looking to learn about his players and start his aggressive pressing game in January when he has some coaching time.

To the game.

Negatives, no cohesion in the team. No (coordinated) press. A change of formation again and a change back in the second-half. Elyounoussi was properly shite yesterday - despite, or perhaps because, he ran everywhere at 100%. PEH is a twat (and genius in equal measure). McCarthy looking a little tardy with a couple of the goals (despite doing well for other shots). Defensive brain-farts again - Targett letting his man go for the first, Stephens not clearing for the second, Bednarek giving Aguero space for the third. Team started without the confidence to be on the same patch of grass as City, changed completely after we got a goal and then drained away again as soon as we conceded.

Positives. Only conceded 3 goals against a City team that found their form again using a defensive line-up that I’d have questioned if we were playing Macclesfield in the cup. Didn’t concede in the second-half. Romeu getting back to the player he was two seasons ago and becoming an ever more important player for us - especially if PEH keeps seeing red. Blooded another youngster and gave more game time to other younger players. Love that Hutch is showing so much faith in the youngsters.

My view having watch the game live but not seeing loads of replays - it was a sending off, JWP’s claim was not a pen and Valery’s tackle should have been a pen. So I can’t really blame the ref.

Onward.

1 Like

Crystal Palace beat City away and Burnley beat West Ham at home, this is where we’re at and its the people who brought in shite players.

What does this mean?
We beat arsenal, they didn’t. How does that change anything?
If we beat Chelsea or (God forbid)Liverpool will it automatically doom other clubs?
You write this shit every time any club in the bottom half gets a win. Don’t be so surprised. Look at the table, no one is on 0 points. Don’t be shocked that other teams win games.

2 Likes

Arsenal are shite in comparison though aren’t they? Or shall I say their defence is, how come we’re more leggy and tired than they are?