:saints: Saints v Leicester :leicesterfc: (PL)

But you’ve already said all this on this thread without watching the game. Maybe you’ve made your mind up already? Why bother watching at all?

1 Like

For what it’s worth (obviously nothing to Barry) I thought we deserved a point. Hojberg was daft getting sent off but I thought he had a half decent game. Redmond looks a completely different player under Hughes.
We’ll be fine this season.

3 Likes

This telegram was sent from Pyongyang.

1 Like

Decent streams in Korea.

Anyone use saints player for the game? Any good?

Spot on. A big improvement since the last home match in our desire, positivity and commitment. Pressed higher up, closed down quickly and tried to move forward. More to do still (especially after conceding) but plenty of positives for me

5 Likes

Just heard that we’ve had one win at SMS in 13 games. No wonder the natives are restless and SMS was half-empty at the end. @Goatboy, what was the atmosphere like? Behind the team/Hughes?

Thought we started well and had a decent first half. Lemina MotM for me. Redmond had an excellent first half but had less impact in the second half. Vestergaard likely at fault for their second goal (want to see the replay again), Cedric at fault for their first. Hojbjerg at fault for the sending off. Don’t know what he was thinking.

One of my major concerns is that we just don’t press the ball as a team in 4-4-2. We challenge the opposition to break us down and sit off them. That seems to be the PLAN, i.e. it’s not just players not following orders. The passive way we line-up when not in possession means that when we get the ball we don’t have any snap, pace or urgency to the passing. If you’re pressing as a team to win the ball all of the time, when you get it everyone is on the front foot and eager to go. When we turnover possession I don’t see that in us. I hate that we’ve lost that from our game.

I am also concerned that as we were having no impact in 4-4-2 in the second half, we take a striker off for a striker (and remove Ings instead of Long, BTW) and keep the same formation. It was crying out for a change in approach and we didn’t do that. Perhaps even drop Ings into a free role in midfield to link up play with Long? But for me it should have been Long off, and Armstrong on to have that creative free role and sit behind Ings. The sending off meant we didn’t see that anyway.

When we went down to 10, we actually seemed to press the ball more actively and our passes had more snap. That is a real concern.

We signed players early in the transfer window, we had a full pre-season with those players and yet we’ve started the season not knowing who to play and in what formation. That is a concern.

We’ve got 1 point from 3 games (2 at home), and those have been against Burnley, Everton and Leicester. We really do need to get some sense of consistent selection, strategy and a whole heap of urgency into the team - and soon. That is a concern.

Oh, and give Hughes two seasons with us, I’m sure we’ll be hard to beat, hard to break down and will nick games by the odd goal in three just enough to get us into the top 10 most years. That’s not what I want from my team.

Did I mention that I’m concerned?

3 Likes

Yep, pretty good.

Occasionally gets chuggy and it was a minute behind the action at the end, but decent.

Still lost at the end though.

1 Like

There you go bazza. For 5 quid per month you can actually watch Saints before telling everyone how shit we are.

Positives after losing?

We conceded 4 mins after taking the lead.
We have a player diving.
We had a red card.
We still play like we’re on a crack comedown.
We have the heart of that tin bloke in the Wizard of Oz.

1 Like

I’m not wasting £5 on shit.

Don’t agree that we pressed actively.

I think Lemina and Hojbjerg pressed when the ball came close to their area of the two banks of four, but as a team we sat off and said break us down.

Definitely saw improvements in places, but we’re setting a low bar. I want us back to Pochettino pressing and Koeman scoring levels. We’re not on a trajectory to do that even if everything clicks.

uber fan.

Did I mention we’re thinking of charging £5 to post on here?

Wouldn’t use Uber.

I’d happily pay that to piss you of and hammer every post/thread.

1 Like

He needs to go, the guy is a fucking shit manager.

lol. 3 games in.

Hughes has always been shite as a manager but that isn’t really my grumble, he can stay for now its the recruitment and the players we have.
We’ve been shite for nigh on 3 seasons.

I mentioned it to you at the Cup Semi, I didn’t want him appointed and I just don’t rate him. He’s done nowt to prove anything else to me so far. This first 7 games is where we needed to build up our buffer as Hughes is poor against bigger sides. If we can’t even do this then we’re fucked this season.