Movies You Might Not Have Heard Of But Should Watch Cos They're Good

Endless Love by the Zamboni Man, The Happy Place with We’ve only just begun… It’s up there alongside Caddy Shack.

Hell even the Pros tried it :

Originally posted by @TedMaul

Wow, another thread where I can bore everyone with my cinema obsession and posting of youtube videos :slight_smile: I’ll go with fairly recent ones.

1. Memento … Early Christopher Nolan one … Key point - The narrative is backwards, it features that guy from Neighbours in (jeez he really can act shocker)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vS0E9bBSL0

Memento is a great film.

Not sure how many of you will have seen Romper Stomper - an early Russell Crowe film about the exploits and downfall of a neo-Nazi group in blue-collar suburban Melbourne. Well worth a look.

As mentioned on one of the music threads, Eat the Rich is a good film if you like the Comic Strip Presents alternative style of comedy.

Pan’s Labyrinth is definitely worth watching if you don’t mind subtitles.

If you enjoy Guillermo Del Torro’s style in the above, you may also like the Hellboy films too.

A couple of lesser publicised ‘comic style’ films that are definitely worth a look are Watchmen and also Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

The Big Silence with original ending Weatern with Klaus Kinski a seriously nasty fucker

Originally posted by @Mangobean

I still haven’t seen Memento. I’ve heard it’s great. I’ve never actually sat down to watch it.

Not sure how many of you will have seen Romper Stomper - an early Russell Crowe film about the exploits and downfall of a neo-Nazi group in blue-collar suburban Melbourne. Well worth a look.

Saw this back in the time when Romper Stomper was more famous than Russell Crowe. Quite enjoyed it.

As mentioned on one of the music threads, Eat the Rich is a good film if you like the Comic Strip Presents alternative style of comedy.

I’ve got all of it on DVD. They’re all worth watching, if you’re prepared to accept a bit of unevenness. I don’t know how much mileage it would have with the younger generation.

My fave of those films is Mr Jolly Lives Next Door.

Pan’s Labyrinth is definitely worth watching if you don’t mind subtitles.

Superb recommendation. And people shouldn’t mind subtitles. I can’t watch Manga any other way. Before anyone acts up about not being able to watch TV and play on your tablet at the same time, I’ve got news for you. You’re not really watching TV anyway; just listening to really bad radio :slight_smile:

If you enjoy Guillermo Del Torro’s style in the above, you may also like the Hellboy films too.

They’re good. I think I’ve only ever seen them the once. I believe there are some decent animated movies too.

A couple of lesser publicised ‘comic style’ films that are definitely worth a look are Watchmen

Excellent, and I’ve got no real problem with the change to the ending. The essentials are the same.

and also Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Not seen it yet, although I always hear it is underrated.

Revolver is a quality film I’ve not seen mentioned. Stars Jason Statham and Ray Liotta.

The Game, with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.

Vanilla Sky, Tom Cruise, Penelope Cruz, Kurt Russel and Cameron Diaz.

Æon Flux, Marton Csokas, Charlize Theron and Peter Postlethwaite.

Just some of our favourite ones I can remember offhand that we’ve got saved on my Dad’s skybox.

AEon Flux is a cult classic Jack. Not for the action or script but for the sight of Charlize in sprayed on clothing… (Oops is Lou still away?)

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but watched Last Knight last night. Clive Owen playing Clive Owen (as always) but actually a pretty darned entertaining film, I’m also pretty sure that at one point he tried out the famous Roger Moore acting skill of raising an eyebrow.

It’s kind of a revenge movie in some Middle Medieval Dark Ages Syrian Turkish Balkan Nottingham alternate current universe.

The only issue is that a lot of the “Unawowed” wear Capes (maybe as it was the thing in those days) rather than for shit purposes.

An entertaining Revenge/Dirty Dozen/7 Samurai kind of thing.

Klaus Kinski is the original nasty fucker

Slow West … Really good modern western

2 Likes

Directed by John Mclean who was part of The Beta Band

Part of the famous scene in High Fidelity :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not actually seen this but an old mate from college days has had one of his plays turned into a film. It involves football players!

opening-night-film-pass

May be in a cinema near you later on.

Yep watched this based on the OTHER film thread, was recommended a few weeks back by the Cholula Kid I think. PAP - can we merge these film threads?

Originally posted by @Bucks

PAP - can we merge these film threads?

Meh, we can, but do we need to? By the end of this year, I will have expected Bear, having solicited the help of the community, to have watched every single one of these films and published a review on them.

If not, I’d like to shame him (again) for not doing so. Can we work with that?

3 Likes

Yeah that is fair what I will do is make a poll of all the film suggestions that bros have made that are ones i haven’t seen + then if one of them gets say i.e. above threshold of 6,000 votes, then i will watch that film + do a Industry Standard review no capeshit pls

Edit: I spent ages trauling through whole thread & added poll to first post, but then papsweb said “You Do Not Have Authoritah To Do That Dumbass” ffs pap

3 Likes

Last of the Mohicans.

Brilliant.

Another one came to mind last night:

Blitz:

If you like the idea of seeing Game of Thrones’ Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish playing an absolute cunt and getting the shit smacked out of him by Jason Statham, it’s well worth a watch. :lou_lol:

Originally posted by @Bearsy

Yeah that is fair what I will do is make a poll of all the film suggestions that bros have made that are ones i haven’t seen + then if one of them gets say i.e. above threshold of 6,000 votes, then i will watch that film + do a Industry Standard review no capeshit pls

I see you have been researching neo liberal bros and left wing bros tonight, my furry friend. Very much appreciate that, but apply the knowledge, pls.

You _must _know that I will insist that the threshold be lowered to one and that the criteria for meeting the threshold is just one poster being slightly miffed at racking his or her brain for a film they liked that others ignored, only for the OP to totally ignore their recommendations.

It’s not like people are blindly recommending “Spice World” (although bletch wants to), “Iron Lady” (although Cherts wants to, and watches it for 30 seconds every night before bedtime) or “The Last Dragon” (sho’nuff that’s my guilty pleasure).

These are Quality Films. Ignored by mainstream media. Ignored by the Bear.

Edit: I spent ages trauling through whole thread & added poll to first post, but then papsweb said “You Do Not Have Authoritah To Do That Dumbass” ffs pap

You are quite right; I have no authority to impose my will. I can just express my sadness, which I will now accomplish with three unhappy penis faces.

:lou_sad: :lou_sad: :lou_sad:

Some great films mentioned, here are some that everyone I talk to has (mostly) never heard of, with a token short review;

Run Lola Run - German Techno Groundhog Day

The Gaurd - Gleeson at his finest

Dogtooth - Greek WTF shenanigans

American Movie - Still not sure if this is real or fiction, I’d rather beleive it’s real

The Cube - Giant Rubix cube death maze

Locke - Tom Hardy in a car. Driving on the motorway.

And a couple of good film documentaries;

Dangerous Days - The story of Bladerunner

Electric Boogaloo - The story of Cannon Films

I could list more but I don’t want to blow my whole wad in one post

Another western and really good film, shot by Roger Deakins