Movies You Might Not Have Heard Of But Should Watch Cos They're Good

The other thing that was weird, now I think about it, was the Witch woman. What a fucking bitch she was! I get that she had a beef with THE BEAST bro, but she didn’t just punish him, she turned all his household staff into furnitures & cutlerys! What the fuck had they done!

1 Like

lol pretty much!

Originally posted by @Bearsy

If I was THE BEAST I would have gone over and stomped the teapot for that! She was TAKING THE FUCKING PISS & doing the ultimate cock-block!

That is typical teapot behaviour - they’ll do anything to stop people shagging.

You don’t see bottles of strong liquor or crates of beer or even jugs of coffee behaving like this.

But just try asking someone if they would like a nice cup of tea beforehand … :slight_frown:

1 Like

Wow, another thread where I can bore everyone with my cinema obsession and posting of youtube videos :slight_smile: I’ll go with fairly recent ones.

1. Moon … Directed by David Bowie’s son (he changed his name from Zowie or something) Wrote it as well, really good “smart Sci Fi” Usually a phrase meaning low budget. In this case it’s true.
  1. Memento … Early Christopher Nolan one … Key point - The narrative is backwards, it features that guy from Neighbours in (jeez he really can act shocker)
  1. Mulholland Drive … David Lynch wanted to make a TV series. TV execs pulled the financial plug, he cut a movie from the pilot and other stuff based around a nightmarish view of Hollywood.
  1. The King of Comedy … Really watch this :slight_smile: Completely underrated Scorsese/De Niro movie. Ahead of it’s time in respect to “Fame” and reality tv.
  1. Under the Skin … Jonathan Glazer. The most in demand and respected director of the late 90’s. Sexy Beast is amazing, and he worked on many commercials and promos. Birth was badly received. He took almost 10 years to make his next film, recording people in Glasgow incognito. It’s an amazing movie.
1 Like

Oh poo, I screwed up on the last one :cry:

1 Like

:smile:

Sightseers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations Ted, by the way, we can edit threads here.

Just click the EDIT button to the right of the first post line.

I watched Non Stop the other night, entirely predictable I’m afraid.

When did Liam Neeson become an action hero??

Wristcutters: A Love Story - IMDB

This is one of my favourite films of all time. Not as morbid as it sounds - actually more of a black comedy, with emphasis on the comedy. A strain of love story runs through it but it’s not the key focus. It’s also a rare find in that it seems to please both male and female audiences equally. If you get laid off the back of this movie, I’m taking full credit.

Basically it takes place in a dimension where everybody present committed suicide. It’s pretty much the same as our world except everything’s slightly worse. Zia (Patrick Fugit - the wannabe-journalist kid in ‘Almost Famous’) finds out by chance that his ex-girlfriend has offed herself too and sets off on a trip to find her.

Along the way he meets Eugene (a musician strongly based on the lead singer of Gogol Bordello) and Mikal, a rebellious, enchanting lady that puts something of a spanner in the works. Also stars Will Arnett (‘Gob’ in Arrested Development) and Tom Waits.

On top of this, Wristcutters has fantastic soundtrack. It’s an easy-to-follow yet truly unpredictable, fantastical story.

Ever since Taken

In fact, have a load more black comedies (most of these feature guns pretty heavily). I think it’s probably my favourite genre. Most of these are pretty famous but on the off-chance that there’s people that haven’t heard of them, I’d count these as essential.

**In Bruges ** - IMDB

One of my most watched films. A masterpiece.

**Lucky Number Slevin ** - IMDB

I can’t say much without spoiling it. Strap in and pay attention.

**Kiss Kiss Bang Bang ** - IMDB

Robert Downey Jr’s finiest, in my humble opinion.

**Seven Psychopaths ** - IMDB

Same director/writer as In Bruges. Took me a couple of watches to ‘get’ but well worth the effort. Cast is outstanding.

**American Psycho ** - IMDB

Probably shouldn’t be funny but my word, it’s side-achingly so. This is how I like to imagine Christian Bale.

**Fargo ** - IMDB

Mega-famous but with good reason. Watch this if you haven’t already, eh? The recent TV series makes for tense, gripping watching too.

**Four Lions ** - IMDB

A Chris Morris (The Day Today, Brass Eye) character study on a group of bumbling, wannabe terrorists. More straightforward and less cutting than his previous work but eminently quotable.

Finally, if you don’t like Fight Club then I’m not sure we can be friends.

4 Likes

Originally posted by @ant

Finally, if you don’t like Fight Club then I’m not sure we can be friends.

Sorry, I can’t talk about that…

1 Like

If you’re after some more bat shit mental Japanese films, try Battlefield Baseball, Visitor Q, and The Happiness of the Katakuris (this had just been released by Arrow, who do a good line in cult horror and that.)

Hardcore Henry

1 Like

By Ilya Naishuller, chappy who did that Bad Motherfucker video I keep linking.

Nice Bump BT.

Saw Donnie Darko mentioned.

Well (no NOT actually a golf story) I was working at the golf last weekend, babysitting a Manc fan who had played pretty sh1t then on the Sunday started to play really well when THE most random thing happened that even brought a wtf? from the Lad himself.

We get up to the Par 5 13th Tee Box and there at the back of the Tee Box is some random bloke standing and wearing a Donnie Darko Rabbit Head.

As Photobombs go, it was so random and so classic. He kept popping up for the next few holes - standing in amongst the trees, sitting in a Grandstand. All the while standing Dead Still and also perfectly positioned in the line of the TV cameras. Freaky as fook.

The greatest film ever made was on again last night :lou_sunglasses: - Happy Gilmore - ahhhhhh, and was followed by one I had managed to miss first time round as I hate egotistical crap - Zoolander

It was obnoxious but I have to say surprisingly funny as fook. May even have to go see the sequel now

Originally posted by @Dubai_Phil

The greatest film ever made was on again last night :lou_sunglasses: - Happy Gilmore - ahhhhhh, and was followed by one I had managed to miss first time round as I hate egotistical crap - Zoolander

If you mean the greatest ever Adam Sandler film…

1. Possibly.
  2. Not exactly a high bar

Seriously, the Wedding Singer? Never Been Kissed? The one where Jennifer Aniston wears a string bikini (was that a Sandler movie)?