Merkel : Europeans can no longer rely on the US or UK

There is t even a set of British values. There isn’t even a set of Liverpool values. There’s not even a set of toxteth values. I don’t even share the same values as my family.

2 Likes

Hence my question chubby punter. A nation can have a set of common values of course they can, I’d be interested to know how and what a European set are though., that said values can diminish or be disagreed with overtime, say people disagreeing with arranged marriages or equality.

See, personsally I love Escargot.

I went to one of my favourite small French restaurants near work last week, and wanted to have my usual escargot. They’d replaced the escargot with mussels ‘escargot style’.

This is just the start people. Proscuitto will become thinly sliced spam. Pizza will become cheese on Hovis and chorizo will become an undercover Cumberland.

1 Like

Well no, I don’t believe a nation can have a set of common values, hence my entire post.

Ah, but can a religion? Like Islam?

Of course they can, Norway have a healthy set of common values (they love their egalitarian spirit)and at the extreme end so do North Korea.
God in many Nations is a common value which is a shame but we evolve none the less.

Nice work Bazza. Dug one of your best ever holes on this thread

Just to be clear.

There is a common set of values these days

It’s called money

You weren’t clear, money can be seen as a value, so can religion, freedoms etc etc.

This isn’t rocket science.

Perhaps you should, if only to work out whether it’s any different from being a decent human being.

From where I’m sitting, it appears that people are using EU to constitute part of their personalities, just as 10% of Chapel End Charlie was mindless jingoism.

But it seems that creating a coherent and balanced argument is.

Pap, what about my post? Why can’t the shared histories of war and fighting coupled with a resolute wish to not let it happen again be what makes someone feel ‘European’? A sort of “Vive la difference!” and a recognition that our similarities make us stronger than our differences - can that not be part of what it is to be ‘European’?

Yes having a sense of collective history saved the Balkans from civil war, there is me thinking it was the Yanks who did it, silly me.

People have some serious rose tinted visions of Europe as a collective of happiness, most have established right wing nationalist parties that hate foreigners, oh dear oh dear.

Wow. just found Bazza on FB

![Image may contain: one or more people, text and outdoor](https://fb-s-a-a.akamaihd.net/h-ak-fbx/v/t31.0-8/18815214_1357597367653978_5295338839520929726_o.jpg?oh=d83f490f2b98cf8b3bf614d4113546e8&oe=599E029A& gda =1503959620_ceca3fb7d2714dd885e52a4257da6ea5)

1 Like

That doesn’'t mean I am wrong though does it?

How is that different from being an anti-war campaigner and internationalist, anywhere?

How can you look past Greece?

They will as their agenda is blinded, Greece, Lisbon treaty vote etc, all by the wayside.

Thanks for the advice, Pap. I will make serious consideration whether feeling European, yet not Australian, has anything to do with just being a good person.

It’s a good job I’ve got you to guide silly old me through life. Can’t imagine what I’d do otherwise.

Probably fuck off to Texas for a few months.

Hey Lou!

2 Likes