šŸ¦ Let's bin social media

It means that you can put a post up that everyone can see except the people you leave out. As someone that has seen two teenage daughters go through high school in the social media age, I know full well that it is used as a platform for bullying.

This is a new option, which can be turned to exactly the same purpose. Itā€™s also a big fucking poke in the eye to freedom of speech, which has the central tenet of being able to reply.

Fuck 'em.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha - thanks.

Thatā€™s not good is it.

Another reason for me to pull my finger out and actually delete the fucking (unused) devilā€™s spawn from my life.

I think itā€™s been there a while. Pretty sure there were photos Iā€™ve set to just certain people and thought the statuses were the same. But could be wrong.
Most of the ā€˜friendsā€™ on facebook arenā€™t friend friends so why not exclude some of them from a status? Or just delete them. Thatā€™s probably a better option.

Surely youā€™ve got closed or secret groups for that purpose. I know they can still be used as a means of cyber bullying, but the Friends Except thing is a bit of an escalation, imo.

Everyone gets to see someone being called a twat except the person being called a twat.

True thatā€™s what a whatsapp group is for.

1 Like

That happens too. Juvy #2 told me her high school had a tumblr Gossip Girl group. Pretty grim stuff to be a teenager these days, compared to our innocent times. We got to switch off in the evenings. Thanks to social media, they never do.

Itā€™s not just teenagers. My last work place had a whatsapp group. They even made comment on it openly. But some of us where never invited into it. I know they sent messages whilst in meetings at times. Was I commented on? Probably. My scintillating wit and repartee would no doubt need commenting on.

My company is promoting social media groups for the different positions in the company.

When I asked a managinng director why they had stopped the seminars for the maintenance dept his reply was you ask the management to many difficult questions.

When pointed out that the groups were unlikely to be used as no answers were ever forthcoming no reply.

Another way of getting staff to put into writing and on company material greivences that can and will be held against you. And as life offshore has shown twisted before they are used against you.

1 Like

1 Like

I saw MLT had moved to Parler the other day, I wondered what it was?

BBC News - Google suspends ā€˜free speechā€™ app Parler

Free speech or wilful spreading of disinformation? But then who decides what information is disinformation?

1 Like

Organisations that host social media apps / platforms can decide what they like. There are some, e.g. Trump and Trump Jr, who seem to think they are entitled to post what they like on other peopleā€™s products without any interference.

If they donā€™t like it, crack on and start their own platform

3 Likes

So are Google and Apple going to ban Facebook and Twitter because there is no end of dangerous bullshit on there

37 posts were merged into an existing topic: :desert_island: Barry Island - Home of the Whopper :hamburger:

6 Likes
2 Likes

And verifiable information is key BUT we allow religion on these platforms, they spread hate, racism, sexism and homophobia in the name of unproven ideas.

What is the difference in this regard?

Iā€™m shocked to find I have 278 followers on Twitter, & follow 118.
My FB is private and unless I actually met someone I refuse friend requests.
I understand how my actions on them earn money, equally, it makes them free to use.
I havent deleted anyone for their politics.
And the reason for using them? It connects me with friends & family, many I havent seen for years.
I wont bin it.
If you dont want to read someoneā€™s bullshit, dont follow them. If they keep posting shit, make the decision to tell them you cant be friends.
Spending days and nights ranting about them and how capitalism works is crazy and not the type of friend I keep

Philip

The voice of reason in a World of ignorance.

And here we go againā€¦Groundhog Day.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like