🏏 Hampshire Cricket 2018

Welllllll,

It looks like Worcs are going to get a draw (at least) with Surrey (FFS) so that will give them at least 5 points.

Yorks v Lancs is hard to call but looks like a draw in the offing so both get 5 points.

Essex v Notts is, again, hard to call but I can see Essex edging that one, 16 points

So, with that prediction in mind we have

Essex (12) 141
Hants (12) 133
Notts (13) 131
Lancs (13) 117
Yorks (12) 115
Worcs (12) 101/112 pts

Hants have to play Yorkshire (at Headingly) and Lancashire (at the Ageas Bowl)
Notts last game is against Somerset (who will have nothing to play for)
Yorkshire have us and Worcestershire
Essex have Worcestershire and Surrey
Worcestershire have Essex and Yorkshire

So with all the relegation threatened teams playing each other it could be any 2 that go down.

2 draws (likely given the weather) or 1 win should see us safe, lose both and it could be down to batting and bowling bonus points.

Oh dear, I should give up punditry…

And it gets worse :-

So I’m now going for :-

Essex win
Surrey win
Yorks win

Giving us :-

Team Played Points
Essex 12 141
Hampshire 12 133
Notts 12 131
Yorkshire 12 126
Lancashire 13 112
Worcestershire 12 96

Right, Yorkshire have won, which puts us 21 points ahead of Lancashire who are in the second relegation place

Max points available to Lancashire is now, 5 batting, 3 bowling and 16 for a win (24 points total) and their last game is against Hampshire.

Hampshire have to play Yorkshire

Essex have won by 8 wickets, that leaves Surrey with a bit of squeaky bum time

Surrey have won and are crowned as County Champions. So my table from earlier stands, phew :slight_smile:

So, if I read the table aright, we just need a few bonus points from our match against Yorkshire in order to be sure of finishing above Lancashire. And, even if we don’t manage that, we’d still have to endure a point-free loss against Lancashire (who’d have to get maximum points or close) in order to finish below them. And if all that happened then we’d richly deserve our fate.

There’s always Worcestershire to consider, as they’re a mere 37 points behind us and have two games to play. So they could overhaul us. But, if they do, then we’ll deserve that too.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/solentsport/status/1040255008183406595?s=19

1 Like

We’re fine - we need 11 points assuming Worcs win both their games with 24 points. This has only happened in five Div 1 games this season apparently - three times by Surrey.

And only three points to be ahead of Lancs - which even Hants can manage from two games.

We should be looking for third place!

2 Likes

Ahemmm, 3 points to be level on points with Lancashire!! I don’t know what the tie-breakers are either so I’d rather they got 4 points.

Ahem - tie breakers are: 1. Most wins; 2. Fewest losses; 3. Most points in matches between the two sides; 4. Most wickets all season and 5. Most runs.

I’'m the world’s most pessimistic sports fan (ask Fowllyd) but we’re safe Bob.

3 Likes

He is and all.

2 Likes

No play for Hants at Yorks so far. Rain delay.

But Worcs, fresh from their brilliant T20 win, are batting very nicely at Essex. 58-6. :wink:

1 Like

Worcs 94 all out

Hants match underway now.

1 Like

I’ll take a dull draw in which we bat forever in the first innings. I know it won’t happen, but I can always dream. Vince double ton - that’ll do nicely.

https://twitter.com/solentsport/status/1042013643687317505?s=19

Yorks 70-3. Ballance just out for 30 to Berg. 100 less than he usually gets against us.

First bowling point. 5 more points and we are safe as Worcester all out 94.

72-5

2 Likes

And that’s a second bowling point - it’s 110/6. It’s also tea, so time for the Earl Grey and wafer-thin cucumber sandwiches.

2 Likes

184 all out. Great job.

2 Likes