šŸ“ŗ GOOD SHOWS (no capeshit pls)

American Gods is pretty good, based on Neil Gaiman comic novel, if youā€™re into that shit

1 Like

We watched first 2 episodes of The Sinner last night and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Itā€™s ok. But so meandering.

Itā€™s my full in show now not a go to. Good tv but nothing quite happens and nothing is quite explained.

Also Bryan Fuller. Did not stay on for S2 so maybe he wasnā€™t happy with it either

Is there a new series??

Watched 1st series - weird shit, but worth sticking with. Good to see UK writers (Gaiman) and actors (Ian McShane) showing tā€™USA how itā€™s done.

Yeah I got into the first seriesā€¦just Googled for Season 2 : Season 2 News

1 Like

Britannia started last night and on first viewing itā€™s a poor manā€™s Game of Thrones. The dialogue is way too modern but the production is quality and the locations are splendid. Worth a look if you are into swords and sorcery (Mackenzie Crook as a freaky Druid) but I donā€™t think it will become a classic.

Fargo season three is in the brain.

Famous for not being the film, and having a couple of Hollywood actos in the mix each year, centre stage goes to Ewan McGregor and David Thewlis this year.

McGregor plays twins, with one brother having done very well, and another having done not so well, resentful of the first. Thewlis plays a calculating, articulate criminal, probably the most menacing character in the series since Billy Bob Thorntonā€™s Lorne Malvo.

Iā€™ll end up watching it again. Iā€™ve seen the last two series twice already; theyā€™re that good. Theyā€™re starting to evoke much more than Fargo in terms of the Coen brothers experience. There are a few points this year in which they directly reference the Big Lebowski, including the idea of higher powers visiting bowling alleys.

2 Likes

Just the last episode to watch of The Expanse season 2. Pretty bloody good imho. I enjoyed the novels and the tv adaptation is impressive. I read quite a lot of Sci Fi/Space Opera and bringing the scale of these universes to the small screen must be daunting. This manages well I reckon. Well worth a watch.

2 Likes

Being ill on holiday in a chalet with netflix allowed me to catch up on this last week. Thought it was excellent, especially Thewlis whoā€™s performance was amazing but made my skin crawl at the same time. The great thing about Fargo is it does the rare thing of making me care about the characters, and I was actually moved when some of them met their end. I hope there will be more but Iā€™ve seen reports that thatā€™s the lot, unless Noah Hawley can come up with some more good stories, which is not a bad thing I suppose, I would hate for them to hash out a bad series just to keep it going.

Small point of order, McGregor is portraying (and very well in my opinion) brothers but not twins, with Emmit being 2 years older. Also his american accent did not bother me in this, as I usually find it to be very grating (see Black Hawk Down for prime example).

1 Like

I think Nikki might have been my favourite character of this one. More switched on than the lot of them, including Varga. She played a brilliant game.

I thought McGregorā€™s accent slipped a few times in this, but I may have just been imagining stuff.

1 Like

Yeah Nikki was great, that one scene made me quite nauseous and you donā€™t even see anything, the sound editing and the look on Syā€™s face were enough to make me want to leave the room thatā€™s how invested I was in the character, I needed til the next day to watch the next episode I was that traumatised.

We are now on The OA which has been raved about. So far so odd.

I loved it.

But.

Mrs D_P never got hooked, and my middle Son (who told me about it in the first place) fell out of love with it in S2.

I see his point, S1 was a ticght story in a tight corner of the Expanse Universe, then because of the success they were able to up the budget and effects and he felt they lost some of the ā€œmagicā€

No pleasing everyone I guess

With overwhelming positive reception from both viewers and critics, itā€™s no surprise that _ The Expanse _ season 3 has become reality. The space drama has wowed fans with its complex characters, its political intrigue, its attention to scientific authenticity, and its stunningly good visual effects, and with several more books in the series that inspired the show, thereā€™s plenty more source material for the adaptation to explore in future seasons.

Goliath on Amazon Prime. Did the first series over the weekend, couldnā€™t help it. Billy Bob Thornton and William Hurt, apologies if its been mentioned already.

Gomorrah on Sky is coming back for season 3 on 31st January.

If you havenā€™t seen it, find a way to catch up.

It follows the Naples Mafia and it shows the really hard and gritty life of the foot soldiers that doā€™the bidding of the bosses.

It features a couple of amazingly charismatic characters that you see do evil things but you justify it and root for them.

Itā€™s Italian language subtitled but itā€™s worth getting past that.

2 Likes

Darling Bletch - I was close to forgining you as you mention such a tour de force, that is Gomorrah, however, as one who will have watched two complete series how the fuck can you call them Mafia when the Mafia are from Sicily and the ā€˜Cammoraā€™ are from Naplesā€¦ Bletch duncy fuckwit

2 Likes

Talking of Italian crime drama, I loved Romanzo Criminale (2008-2010) about a bunch of Roman scrotes who grow to be THE roman crime gang and the cop who tries to bring them down. Great retro 70s vibe and features the rather delectable DanielaVirgiloā€¦

My bird is obsessed with a show called Scandal. It is an American show. It is the dumbest show Iā€™ve ever seen. Itā€™s about a bird called Olivia Pope who does pr in Washington, and is also banging the President. I fkn hate Olivia Pope! Whenever there is a problem and people donā€™t know what to do, the sycophants she surrounds herself with turn to Olivia Pope and say, ā€œOlivia, what does your gut tell you? Your gut is always right!ā€

Oliviaā€™s gut is the worst narrative device in all fiction. Iā€™m really fkn sick about hearing about it! Itā€™s like a deus ex machina, whenever things donā€™t make sense they turn to Olivia Popeā€™s gut, and it magics up a fucking answer, without any referral to logic or sense.

the pacing of the show is all over the place too. In the episode I had to sit through the other night this bird was approached by people offering her money to run for president, and in the very next scene she was suddenly in a hospital having to do criminal things cos they were blackmailing her, and in the very next scene the things they had her do meant someone else went to prison, and in the very next scene she blackmailed them back to get the guy released, and in the very next scene he was back out and everything was ok. I was like, what the fuck is happening? Havenā€™t like literally months just passed by?

The worst of it of course, is that being an american show there is approximately 700 episodes to wade through.

Sounds epic. What a great review

canā€™t wait, gonna put that ahead of Peaky Blinders for our next binge plan.

Cheers

Rotten Tomatoes love it @bearsy https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/scandal/s01 ā€¦and thereā€™s only 7 series to watch. :lou_lol: