šŸ“ŗ GOOD SHOWS (no capeshit pls)

Itā€™s a bit of a cliche, the sensitive but bright FBI profiler who getā€™s too close to the subject. Itā€™s a battle of minds ugh.! His marriage suffers etc ā€¦ Paul Bettany was great, the lead actor bloke was as wooden as a coffee table.

Mindhunter was based on a biography of the original dude who invented psychological profiling. Thomas Harris used his book as an inspiration for Silence of the Lambs. Mindhunter isnā€™t a procedural drama, more a history of how psychological profiling developed.

1 Like

The point i was trying to make b-saint, is that the plot summary i posted works just as well for both shows, cos the story & tropes or whatever is v.similar. I mean, I think it is. I may well be off base, and canā€™t really comment on cinematographies or whatever cos I watch most Netflix shows on my phone, with headphones in, while Iā€™m walking round the house doing my dusting & vacuuming.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been rewatching the 1990s House of Cards. Almost done, which is easy when all three series weigh in at around the same length as one season of the ponderous US version. Iā€™d forgotten how good it was. Itā€™s either near prescient, or politics doesnā€™t change very much.

Perhaps one of the scariest things about the plot is the author, and that old maxim, ā€œyou write what you knowā€. Michael Dobbs was Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party, and also served under Thatcher.

His politicians are schemers, murderers and not above inflicting serious harm on the British public. In an episode during ā€œTo Play The Kingā€, a tower block is destroyed in a gas explosion. Immediately, Urquartā€™s chief of security says the explosion is ā€œnot one of oursā€.

Shitloads better than the US version, short, sweet and so very very sour. One of my all-time favourites.

3 Likes

I watched that on dvd (remember them!) like i.e. 10 yrs ago. I think there was 3 series. The first series was brilliant! I was so pumped by the first series! Then I was watched the second series and i donā€™t think i liked it so much, and then the third series I donā€™t think i even made it all the way through. Least they had the sense to finish it there though, unlike the yanks who kept churning the shit out irrespective of quality, right up until the lead actor raped someone, or patted someoneā€™s butt, or whatever it was Kevin Spacey done.

2 Likes

I think this is a classic case of people getting boners over different things. The first two seasons have hot young women in them that like to bone the PM. I think that is what gives Bear the bone.

The third series features a less young, less hot woman, and I think this is where the Bear goes limp.

However, the third series has a Crossing The Floor of The House, which has political geeks like me breaking out the Kleenex, poppers, asphyxiation kit and Swarfega. Itā€™s like, the sexiest thing in politics.

1 Like

You typed that as if you were still some weird dreamer who imagined that career Politicians were good people. Not selfish slime.

Now that has never changed. Just more people now realise it

I watched Man like Mobeen on iPlayer. 4 episodes of the guz Khan characharacter. I found it funny.

The new league of gentleman has been very good

4 Likes

Clever sparing use of Edward and Tubbs. Havent seen the last one yet but a welcome return after all these years,

It has been v.good. The fat one (steve pemberton?) is a Genius comic actor imo, i love that guy.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t got round to watching it yet. Hoping that Creme Brulee feature? ā€¦

He does indeed feature. He could make it big.

Just watched all 3 episodes back to back

Bathos, Pathos (and the other musketeer - Dave )

Simply brilliant. Canā€™t say anything else apart from, more, pleaseā€¦

Finished The Handmaidā€™s Tale. 10 Episodes done in 4 days we were that hooked. Neither of us have read the book.Elisabeth Moss is fabulous in it. Written in 1985 but thinking itā€™s a little too close to what some would like the world to be.

1 Like

I really liked Detectorists.

3 Likes

Not much on over Christmas as we dont have Netflix but we did enjoy Little Women and The Miniaturist. Cunk on Christmas was also a pleasant treat.

Couldnt agree more. Loved it and Mossā€™s performance. She is an amazing actor,

2 Likes

Just watched the first of the new Black Mirror series on Netflix.

Excellent - recommend it.

Wonā€™t do a spoiler but the Netflix cash does wonders to the quality, but it still retains the feel of a British made programme - helped by a great mix of UK and US actors.

Now off to catch up on the latest Vikingsā€¦

1 Like

Happy New Year all :laughing:

Watched the first three Black Mirror episodes and itā€™s quite brilliant but yet so depressingly awful too. Damn you, Charlie Brooker :lou_surprised:

Soz Cobham, missed your post

1 Like