đŸ“ș GOOD SHOWS (no capeshit pls)

The 100 has moved from not shit to not bad.

It misses something because it could have been epic. No bewbs maybe?

Formulaic? Maybe but it’ been a decent filler past two weeks

First trailer for Black Mirror Season 3 has arrived, Jodie Foster directs, how far Charlie Brooker has come.

1 Like

Season 4 even :lou_facepalm_2:

2 Likes

‘Series’ 4 even. :lou_wink:

(That ones for you Bletch)

2 Likes

Charlie Brooker says no Christmas 2017 newswipe.

Waaaaaaah!

1 Like

Now at episode 6 of Babylon Berlin - great stuff, dark and seedy like dystopian comic novel, but with the political rumblings of German history of the 20s and 30s the underbelly of this political crime caper. Superbly acted and high production values (as should be for. 30mil + euro Series, it recreates the Berlin between the wars vibe in all its sexy steamy and political turmoil glory. 9.5/10 on the Grandee scale

Peaky Blinders might just be the best thing on TV this year.

1 Like

Been a long time fan. Still loving it. Enjoying Littlefingers appearance. Would love the soundtrack if there is one.

I’ve binged watched mini series Alias Grace on Netflix. It’s based on a novel by Margaret Atwood of Handmaids Tale fame. Alias Grace is based on a real life murders in Canada in 1843 but with a bit of added fiction. The lead Sarah Gadon is really good. I’ve never heard of her. Anna Paquin is also in it.

The sound track takes the show to another level. And now not only do we have Tommy and Arthur Shelby with Littlefinger, but Tom Hardy’s awesome Alfie Solomons is back in the action. Throw in the nasty Luca Changretta (a nicely twisted Adrien Brody) and you have all the ingredients for a hell of a showdown come the end of the series.

1 Like

Vikings series 5 on Amazon

3weeks in so have a mini binge-watch

Marvellous

2 Likes

I make no excuses. When I saw that the Yanks had made a spin-off Sherlock Holmes series set in New York with a female Watson I simply said fark Off and stayed loyal to Benedict. Elementary.

You simply don’t mess with Sherlock.

And then we ran out of things to watch on Netflix that weren’t blood and gore and sex.

So I clicked on it.

I suppose deep down I have allowed myself to pigeon-hole the show as some American thing that took some traits from a much loved story. In fact, it is kind of what I think the Dark Tower would have been better doing (as how the hell can you tell that story in less than 20 odd seasons).

So we have a milennial recovering Drug Addict and a female Watson. The traits of “broken” characters remains from benedicts’ offering, but to start with there is a whole bunch of NYC Cops who bear no relation to the story.

I wanted to hate it, I really did.

But then Jonny Lee Miller grows into the character so well, if anything, his “edge of madness” portrayal of Holmes is better than the more intellectually brilliant Benedict. The little moments, the looks, the eyes of Miller gradually won me over to realise he is actually a very good Holmes.

And the sex xhange to a female Watsn? Nah, really did not work. It was just wrong. For several weeks it just seemed to be a Hollywood PC play to Gender Equality. But then again, Lucy Liugrew into the role, to the point where now as we run through Season 2 she holds her own.

Look, the 40 odd minutes mean that some of the deductions appear out of thin air faster than in a Simon Pegg script for Star Trek, the plot lines often sail way too close to the “oh ffs another co-incidence” border for the show to rise into the Epic stakes.

But, 5 episodes into Season 2 we are really enjoying it. It is well acted, it isn’t yet repetitive and it is always gently amusingly entertaining, with a deepness and a darkness that always lurk just below the surface.

Even the obvious but not obvious Moriarity re-write fits in to the new Holmes Universe.

Darned decent entertainment and we really do love Jonny Lee Miller in the role

If you’re wondering how Mindhunter on Netflix and Manhunt on Netflix differ, I can now tell you that They Don’t. They’re exactly the same show, trope for trope.

Both are Quite Good though if you’re loose end.

Penultimate episode of Peaky Blinders was a cracker. Tom Hardy steals the show again and delivers the best line ever. Whilst negotiating with Luca Changretta about talking out Tommy Shelby, their barely conceled hatred for each other bubbling not far below the surface, Alfie Solomons delivers the classic “You will have to add another ton onto your bill for being a cunt mate, alright?” Delivered with perfection.

4 Likes

My partner hadn’t watched the original Twin Peaks so recently watch it all and then started on the Returned. So I am watching it again. Probably a bit too soon! It’s totally and utterly surreal.

I haven’t watched this, so know that this is in full context of me just trolling ms pap as I walk past the telly.

I call it “Shit Sherlock”

To my great delight, Juvy #2, after hearing this, went into school and also referred to it as “Shit Sherlock”.

I don’t know whether it is shit, but you know how it goes. A lie gets around the world before the truth has put its pants on.

1 Like

Official Trailer 
 Dec 29th on Netflix

Just binged all 6 episodes of Sky’s 'The Tunnel series 3. Was Ok, not as good as series 1 nor obviously near the Nordic classic ‘the bridge’ on which it was obviously spawned, but I do like Stephen Dillane - always watchable

Manhunt also set in the 70’s and on Netflix. Not sure if your serious mate but they have nothing in common. Manhunt is a clunky, cliche-ridden, laugh a minute, “Seriously they’re not using that narrative shit”. It’s a great true story, just wasted in my opinion.

Manhunter isn’t a procedural drama, It may have been sold as such. It’s not even “Zodiac”. It’s fucking compelling and beautifully filmed. The interrogation scenes are intense.

1 Like

You’re probably right! Which is the one where you’ve got a FBI guy who comes up with a new method of profiling serial killers, but he’s hindered by Stupid Chiefs, so he calls in a female academic and she helps him and they have success, but it goes to his head and ppl find him annoying. And by the end he’s identifying a bit too much with the serial killer bros, and goes a bit head mental, and it fks up his marriage.

That is the one I liked best!