đŸ“ș GOOD SHOWS (no capeshit pls)

Excuse me for saying this
but I thought the Catholics had it coming though. :lou_lol:

Typical English reformist propaganda!

No Spoilers!

Stranger Things 2

ST 1 has been acknowledged as the biggest “surprise” hit of Netflix last year. It should be awful, kids acting, 80’s pastiche and an over the hill actress. But it worked.

Hard to think why it worked - it wasn’t sensational, it wasn’t horrifying, it wasn’t Sci-Fi or Dungeons and Dragons. It was kept in a claustrophobically small “frame” with a low budget that meant it should have been boring.

And Season 2 is here. And it is simply nothing. Nothing in it stands out at all. The annoying kids are back and it’s just - nothing.

Fact is I have seen every moment of it before. Every scene, every character. The nothing CGI effects the nothing wooden new characters. The nothing 80’s music, the nothing increase in it’s budget.

Which is without a doubt it’s genius. The Duffer Brothers have managed to pull together every half memory of every 80’s movie, of Space Invaders (without seeing a machine) of “never played these days” on the radio 80’s tracks, of bad hair styles, even kids seeming to be young versions of famous actors.

You KNOW the plot. You know you are going to jump you KNOW they are making dumb mistakes

And that makes it stunningly brilliant.

It’s not just me, Mrs D_P was still a kid when the show is set and yet she “feels” that era from the show in so many ways. Some times you are hit over the head with memories (Ghostbusters for example) or Arnie & Terminator.

For me you can never put your finger on where you have seen “that” before - I think what the Duffers have done is to remember the dreams (or nightmares) some 80’s movies gave us and have put those down on paper. It’s the only way the show can be so “seen it before” yet so “new”

It is very clever television, a complete opposite to the “Today Tech” glory of say Star Trek Discovery and also an antidote to the modern need to over-expose sex and gore in shows like Outlander & Guy Fawkes.

Stranger Things hovers menacingly over our memories of imagined days gone by.

It is unique and it is Epic.

Even if the kids are annoying.

If you aren’t up to date, add it to your binge watching list. You don’t need to get a blanket and popcorn before you curl up on the sofa. The show gives you a virtual version of that, and they have so lovingly invested their success in simply adding “touches” to the new series, and not going OTT.

1 Like

:lou_facepalm_2:

Just as you have a hit on your hands as an actor you are THAT stupid?

Stranger Things’ British star Charlie Heaton is deported from US over ‘cocaine bust’ at LA Airport leaving his career in the hit show hanging in the balance

• Actor was flying to US when he is said to have been caught with the substance
  • Yorkshire-born Heaton reportedly denied entry and deported back to London
  • It meant that he was missing from the glitzy premiere of the supernatural show
  • It is feared that Heaton could be barred from entering the US in future meaning he could struggle to take part in filming for Stranger Things

Yorkshire-born Heaton, who has previously starred in DCI Banks and Casualty, plays Jonathan Byers in the sci-fi show

Hey that’s a bit rough on her. She’s only 46 years old.

Agree with all the rest.

1 Like

In the pre Weinstein era she was too old tikihut

:sunglasses:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before. I think it has but not going through 59 pages to see if it has.

The Good Place - a place you go when you die, if you’ve been good. I am really enjoying it and have now watched all of season 1 and now onto season 2 this weekend. Ted Danson is the architect of one of the neighbourhoods in the after life. Kristen Bell is another protagonist. Brit Jameela Jamil also has a significant part.

3 Likes

It’s good but it’s drama written by Netflix algorithm data. They admitted as much.

Have just caught up with 1st four episodes of series 3 of Lucifer - didn’t realise it was back.

Great escapist nonsense but well scripted and filmed.

1 Like

I watched the first 2 series and wasn’t sure about going back for more.

I watched the first episode just on your Recommendation. I liked the premise, that a Bad Person gets into heaven due to an Admin error. I would’ve liked them to go a bit more dark with it tho. I would’ve preferred to find that the Bad Person was a paedo or a serial killer or something like that. I may or may not watch more episodes to Find Out.

I’ve now caught up with it all and will have to wait for next Episode. Like normal TV. Thought whole point of Netflix is to bingewatch. There’s a few twists in it.

I’ve now finished this and found it a bit ‘meh’. It’s is super gory. We know what happens. I didn’t bond with anyone (not even Kit Harrington!). I note on wikipedia they’ve entitled it Series 1. Not really sure there can be a series 2 unless we look at the history of actual Gunpowder.

I started watching a far more interesting programme on BBC 4 (I think) about spies in Elizabeth I /James I era last night that held my attention way more than Gunpowder.

I’m with you about being underwhelmed with Gunpowder. Kit Harington just looks like Jon Snow again and continues to brood. They have ratched up the gore count and it does come across as authentic, but it just seems to fall short. Its good to see the story being told properly though with Catesby taking centre stage instead of Fawkes.

Loving Tin Star. Plenty of very dark humour and an excellent performance from Tim Roth.

1 Like

I don’t know if any of you realise the last man to be hung, drawn and quatered was David Tyrie in 1782 on Southsea Common: http://www.executedtoday.com/2011/08/24/1782-david-tyrie-the-last-hanged-drawn-and-quartered/

A large enthusiastic crowd unsatisfied with the day’s entertainment dug up the body and cut it into a thousand pieces soas to provide souvenirs. How little things change in that part of the world.

No Saints supporters were injured in the unseemly scamble for body parts.

3 Likes

krGF has been watching this, it’s very much ok, imo. I don’t particularly dislike it, but nothing about it is really gripping me in.

The way they’ve got Jameela Jamil doing what seems to be a ‘Big Suze’ (Peep Show) impression is a bit perturbing. She is really rather lovely though.

1 Like

Latest episode of Tin Star just raised the bar. Didn’t see that coming.

Loved the Harry Mudd character in this weeks episode of star trek. Probably only me but rest of episode was filler?

We do have a Star Trek thread :sunglasses:

Mudd is a great addition and played so well in context with the TOS version. But for me it was the 1st "proper Disco episode an old fashioned problem analyse solve story.

And it had beer pong