đŸ“ș GOOD SHOWS (no capeshit pls)

Unforgotten. First episode was last week, excellent, hopefully second episode will be as good tonight.

Egotistical and self serving.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Originally posted by @KRG

Originally posted by @ant

Watch the Shane Meadows film ‘This Is England’ in preparation for this post, if you haven’t already.

Done? Good. You’re now set to watch the TV extensions, This Is England '86, TIE '88 and TIE '90.

I can recall few shows where I’ve given more of a toss about the people it depicts (they’re more than just fictional characters, don’t try to convince me otherwise!) As much as I liked Richard Linklater’s film ‘Boyhood’, you can stick your over-indulgent real-time filming because this got there first (and is far less pretentious).

I don’t like the term ‘gritty’ so I’m not going to use it. Instead I’ll say that the This Is England series feels real. The drama may demonstrate extremes but rarely does it edge towards implausibility. In fact I hope it’s true that TIE has concluded with '90 because in my opinion the creators have never put a foot wrong.

As a social commentary it ought to be studied in schools, if it isn’t already.

Do you not find Shane Meadows at all pretentious? I’m not knocking him (well, only a bit) as I think his stuff is usually really great. But it is a tad pretentious and self-indulgent at times.

Agree on TIE though, it is really good. Haven’t watched '90 yet, missed '88 and need to catch up. But the film & '86 had the amazing qualities of being almost unwatchable and yet utterly compelling at the same time. Some scenes were so brutal to watch, yet you couldn’t not watch. That is an exceptional skill, the balance of getting those scenes right most be a monumental task.

I dont think pretentious or self indulgent are the right words, but appreciate where you comming from
 and sadly my vocabulary is a little short of offering a suitable alternative. Some of the scenes were harrowing, yet as you say compelling and the final episode of '90 once again delivers this in spades
 exceptional TV. Left me emotionlly drained.

Egotistical and self serving.

haha - quality trolling, well maybe 3/10?

They’re the words you are looking for to describe Shane Meadows latest offering, personally Dead Man Shoes is his best work.

Funny Bazza put up Narcos first and it got slated, the sheep are well on it now though, I moved on baby, moved on.

To be fair, Mr. Bulsara, I believe you were slated for saying something like “Narcos is in the same league as The Sopranos and Dexter.”

It was your grouping of Dexter and Sopranos that lost all that credibility you’d worked so hard to build up.

Good shout though my friend. I really enjoyed it.

Fully cognisant that I’m digging my TV credibility grave, I’m still loving Gotham. It is fucking ridiculous, but that works just fine with me. New recurring guest star this week; Michael Chiklis of The Shield fame. I think the reason that the show works so well is that it makes Jim Gordon the centre of the show, and by extension, Gotham PD. Smallville had a pretty powered up Kryptonian to rely on, and used him often.

Bruce Wayne is a bit part character in this, connected, but on the periphery. It’s not so much “Young Batman” as “this is the world Young Batman lives in”. The first season was enjoyable, but suffered from a lack of focus. Season two is rocking along, really using the interplay of its characters well to drive events. If that sounds “normal”, it really isn’t. Far too much stuff happens in scripted stuff just because it’s cool, so it’s refreshing to see something that is effectively a pulp comic adaptation taking such an honest line in the way it drives its plots. It could take easier paths and it doesn’t.

Also, there is absolutely no freak of the week stuff. Everything is arc driven, and in its best moments, it evokes the kind of paranoia present in Nolan’s The Dark Knight. Mostly though, it’s just batshit crazy, and I love it for it.

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Funny Bazza put up Narcos first and it got slated, the sheep are well on it now though, I moved on baby, moved on.

To be fair, Mr. Bulsara, I believe you were slated for saying something like “Narcos is in the same league as The Sopranos and Dexter.”

It was your grouping of Dexter and Sopranos that lost all that credibility you’d worked so hard to build up.

Good shout though my friend. I really enjoyed it.

First 3 series of Dexter were amazing.

I think it was Prison Break that did it for me.

1 Like

Again the first 2 series were brilliant.

They were shit

2 Likes

So if Dexter was ‘amazing’ and Prison Break was ‘brilliant’, what adjective would you summon to describe The Sopranos?

To be fair to Dexter it actually has characters that I rooted for whereas everyone in Narcos or the Sopranos was a cunt.

This week’s South Park is all about online restaurant critics. Brilliant climax. Well recommended.

1 Like

Brilliant, breaking bad was as good, Dallas was the best though.

Originally posted by @saintbletch

So if Dexter was ‘amazing’ and Prison Break was ‘brilliant’, what adjective would you summon to describe The Sopranos?

Brilliant, breaking bad was as good, Dallas was the best though.

Knots Landing.

Bullshit bletch, season 2 of Dexter was just about a skinny bitch on a running machine.

I loved her filthy fucking mouth.

What did you love about it?

Surprise, motherfucker!

(Do one Tokes, and learn from Doakes)

Originally posted by @Tokyo-Saint

What did you love about it?

That it was filthy.